OT: NBC Sports - 24 Hours Sports Network | The Boneyard

OT: NBC Sports - 24 Hours Sports Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw the ad tonight. Broadcast begins Jan 2. Sorry if this has been posted.

Me thinks the plot thickens.....

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, this is currently the Versus channel? Right?

Reaction Score
ESPN needs some competition, if I'm not watching an actual game that channel is damn near unwatchable now.
Yes that should be interesting to see how it compares to ESPN. This would be the first time ever that they have competition from another all sports network.

Reaction Score
If they don't broadcast Tim Tebow 24/7 like ESPN does, I'm on board.

Reaction Score
i think nbc does an awesome job with sunday night football while espn does a piss poor job with the monday night games so im hopeful nbc can give us a good alternative but itll be tough especially with espn having tv rights to alot of sports that im not sure nbc does. maybe someone can clarify?

Reaction Score
Well since they have him in the stable...I want more Dan Patrick on TV!!!!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Hopefully they'll hire Chris Berman so I don't have to listen to him on ESPN any more.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The BE fits their plans but there's two problems.

1) ESPN has the branding and and established profitable business model, NBC Sports (Versus) is not profitable. How much will they overpay in a bidding war? Not as much as we'd like I'm thinking

2) The BE gives them some Premium College Basketball content. BE Football and Depaul basketball won't establish NBC 24-hour. It's as likely NBC skims the Premium matchups for Broadcast NBC.

3) In theory BE Football could give them 13 weeks with 1 solid National matchup a week by proper scheduling BCS OOC opponents throughout November. That will take some work and the Big 4 aren't likely to budge much. ND may help here by scheduling the BE teams in November for home and neutral away.

Anyway you cut it ESPN has ridiculous inventory. And channel placement of Versus/24 hour sucks on DirecTV and Cablevision. It would help it was squashed in their with ESPN/ ESPN2

Reaction Score
When it comes to basketball, I doubt it will be all or nothing for ESPN or NBC. I don't believe the ACC, Pac 12, or Big 12 have exclusive rights with ESPN. They have some games on other networks and they are not produced by ESPN, unlike 99% of all Big East games that are not on CBS. You can still have Big Monday, a Big East game on Saturday afternoon, the occasional Saturday night prime game still on ESPN while Versus holds the rights the rest of the time. This would be similar to how the SEC CBS/ESPN breakdown works.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The BE fits their plans but there's two problems.

1) ESPN has the branding and and established profitable business model, NBC Sports (Versus) is not profitable. How much will they overpay in a bidding war? Not as much as we'd like I'm thinking

2) The BE gives them some Premium College Basketball content. BE Football and Depaul basketball won't establish NBC 24-hour. It's as likely NBC skims the Premium matchups for Broadcast NBC.

3) In theory BE Football could give them 13 weeks with 1 solid National matchup a week by proper scheduling BCS OOC opponents throughout November. That will take some work and the Big 4 aren't likely to budge much. ND may help here by scheduling the BE teams in November for home and neutral away.

Anyway you cut it ESPN has ridiculous inventory. And channel placement of Versus/24 hour sucks on DirecTV and Cablevision. It would help it was squashed in their with ESPN/ ESPN2
NBC and the BE aren't starting out from good positions. But that doesn't mean things can't significantly improve for both. I'm in the positive camp that believes if there are no more changes the BE comes out quite nicely from all this. We'll find out in 20 minutes how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom