NBC, Amazon and Disney to get NBA rights | The Boneyard

NBC, Amazon and Disney to get NBA rights

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Lots of stuff to digest here. First and foremost, Disney’s share is $2.5 billion (up $1.1 billion from the previous contract). That’s a huge increase in costs (68.75%).This is for less games but including the Finals. Does Disney have to cut costs elsewhere?

Meanwhile, Disney would pay about $2.6 billion per year to continue to air the NBA Finals, up from its current $1.5 billion. The company would get fewer games than its current deal and ESPN would air games on its upcoming direct-to-consumer service slated to launch in 2025, the Journal said.

NBC is paying $2.6 billion for 100 games, half of which will wind up only on Peacock.

NBCUniversal is expected to pay the NBA an average of $2.5 billion a year to show around 100 games per season – half of which that would air exclusively on Peacock, an individual familiar with the terms confirmed to TheWrap. The games would air on NBC on Tuesdays and Sundays to avoid conflicting with the network’s “Sunday Night Football.”

Amazon is taking a leap into the sports world with this deal as well. They are purchasing not only regular season games, but the playin games and part of the conference finals.

Amazon would pay $1.8 billion for regular season and playoff games, the new NBA in-season tournament and “play-in” games where teams compete for the final payoff spots. The tech giant would also be given a share of the conference finals, which the media partners would split in a rotation, people familiar told the Journal.

I think the NBA is the perfect way to test the waters of streaming. They have very dedicated core fans and so many so many games that they can get by with streaming some. NBC is only putting 2% of the NBA games on their at cost Peacock network. Not sure how many Amazon games they bought, but the big one is the play in games. ESPN’s direct to customer streaming product remains to be seen, but they bought less games so I’m not sure how many they will have or how much it will cost.

Reaction Score
Awful.

Losing the TNT show, the TNT commentators (which were much better than ESPNs), and a ton of games on streaming which I hate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel
Top Bottom