NBA scouts believe UConn’s Jalen Adams should return to play for Huskies | The Boneyard

NBA scouts believe UConn’s Jalen Adams should return to play for Huskies

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The fact that this article was written scares me. Is Adams thinking of leaving? Is that the impetus for this article? I hope adams learns from Daniel Hamilton who would probably have been a first round pick if he stayed one extra year.

Borges writes these every year.

I think Jalen has a good head on his shoulders. A good junior year could get him into the 1st round.

Reaction Score
What do you think JA chances are as an NBA player if he plays next year or beyond? I feel like he's somewhere in between Bazz and Boat in both skill and athleticism right now from where they were at the respective points in their careers. He had a better sophomore year than Bazz did though so he might be ahead of the curve. With that being said if Boat didn't get drafted I can't see how JA could even think about leaving right now. I really do hope he comes back to refine his game.

Reaction Score
What do you think JA chances are as an NBA player if he plays next year or beyond? I feel like he's somewhere in between Bazz and Boat in both skill and athleticism right now from where they were at the respective points in their careers. He had a better sophomore year than Bazz did though so he might be ahead of the curve. With that being said if Boat didn't get drafted I can't see how JA could even think about leaving right now. I really do hope he comes back to refine his game.

Jalen's size and athleticism gives him a much better NBA outlook than Bazz. And Boat, despite tremendous athleticism is tiny by NBA standards.
Easy to see why Jalen has the most pro promise of the three.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
At this point, it looks to me that Jalen has to improve his shooting dramatically and continue to become a more consistent quarterback to be ready for the NBA. Perhaps it has been due to his need to conserve energy, but he seems to just disappear for stretches (I'm sure with the defenses focusing on shutting him down). I would love to see him get better at creating space and consistently hitting the midrange jumper when he comes off a screen. This would complement his floaters that he sometimes takes too far out.

pj

Reaction Score
I think the scouts' comments were fair. Jalen's on track to be an NBA player. He needs to get stronger. He needs more point guard experience, especially experience leading a quality team, which he didn't get this year due to injuries. He needs to improve his shot.

Those are all things he can work on at UConn next year. There's no reason to leave and risk landing in limbo.

Reaction Score
I think his biggest question marks, keep in mind I'm am nit picking so these might hold him back and then again they might not, are his ball handling, his physical strength, his defense, and his conditioning-stamina. As to comparing him to Bazz in his soph year, Bazz was better in his defense (in some respects a lot better), his outside shooting (it's close though),
and his ball handling. JA is better at his ability to drive and penetrate to the basket and score, and his overall court speed. As to which one was better at making his teammates better and in scoring assists, I would give that nod to Bazz.

Reaction Score
Every college player thinks about the NBA a lot.

Jalen needs to do a few things.
First, he needs to work on his left hand. That should be the focus of his off season.
He needs to work on his three point shot. All parts of it, his jump, which is almost not existent, his release, and his accuracy.
He also needs to work on his focus. The lazy passes that he shouldn't throw.

He is a great college player. He is not yet an elite college player. He still has things he needs to demonstrate to scouts.

Reaction Score
I agree 10000%. Jalen needs to come back... run this team, the way he's shown since the season ending injury to Alterique, win us a Nat'l Championship in the process (that means doing a Cardiac Kemba/Bazz/Boatright like move - go to a Chris Paul camp or 2 or 3 this summer, then come home and shoot 5,000 jumpers/3's/layups/dribbling drills a day.. after all it's gonna be his career) .... then pass the mantle down to Alterique, Vital, and frosh Ashton-Langford

Reaction Score
He also just needs rest. He won't be playing 39 mpg next year so that should definitely help with the lazy passes and bad shooting that has come about due to him never coming out of the game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We've seen this story before. He's been really good as a sophomore, but he needs to go work on some things this offseason and come back as a dominant junior. I have no doubt he'll do that, and he'll be a first-rounder next year.

Reaction Score
He'll probably declare and return, just like Amida Brimah and Rodney Purvis did last year.
I think this is good for a player's process. They get out, mix it up, hear from the big boys what they need to do to raise their game and their stock, and come back improved. I think Amida came back noticeably improved in all facets of his game.

Reaction Score
He HAS to come back and take this team on his back, Kemba style, to at least the elite 8 to really impress anyone IMO.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don't know why he'd stay just to listen and learn from a coach who can't coach x's and o's, can't run an offense and can't properly develop his players.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't know why he'd stay just to listen and learn from a coach who can't coach x's and o's, can't run an offense and can't properly develop his players.
Strongly disagree. He needs to improve a lot of areas and the pro scout succinctly summed it up:

“He needs to stay in school and keep getting better, listen to his coach,” said a veteran scout from an Eastern Conference team. “I don’t have to recite his coach’s resume as a professional. Do what Kevin (Ollie) tells him to do. Go in and have a meeting with Kevin, have the kid express what he wants for his future basketball-wise, and Kevin will draw out the blueprint of what he needs to do. And he needs to listen and buy into everything Kevin tells him.”

Reaction Score
As a player, there is no one you would rather have (outside of Coach K or Izzo or maybe a few others) than Ollie as a coach, someone who has been a journeyman in the nba and knows what it takes. He has been through it all, listen to the guy, he knows that much. If he tells JA he is not ready, he is not ready. But I think we (here on this forum) all know that already any way.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I can't imagine he'd declare for any reason other than getting some feedback and workouts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom