OT: NBA Players Union plans to decertify | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Players Union plans to decertify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So they should give more money to the owners?

I know most of the conservatives on this board view Lord and Serf as some kind of natural law,
Right. NBA players and owners are "lord and serf". Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound lumping NBA players into the same bin as other allegedly "oppressed union members" ? Yeah, they got it SO bad.

By all means, I absolutely favor your brilliant idea. Dismantle the NBA and let the players finance and run their own league. I'd give better than 50-50 odds the league is defunct within 10 years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound lumping NBA players into the same bin as other allegedly "oppressed union members" ?

Does that mean you hate them more or less than conventional union members?

Reaction Score
Really ? Remind me never to get involved with any business you are in.
No worries.

Regarding your comment that profits are a percentage of revenues, all I can say is that it's relatively simple math.

Revenues - costs = profits.

Revenues alone are irrelevant. Only profits matter.

Take a look at GM's numbers. 2010 was the first profit year since 2004. They had twice as much revenue in 2005 than they did in 2010.

So you think they'd rather have the 2005 double sales and the losses that led to the 2nd bankruptcy or the 2011 profit with half the sales?

Reaction Score
One point I havent heard is the fact that the labor deal that just expired was based largely on Jordan bringing the league to new heights for both popularity and profitability. Jordan made $2 or $3 mil a year the last five or six years before he made $3o mil. Then newly expired deal paid players based on the newfound popularity for the league that was based largely on MJ himself. These players made tons of money and were overpaid for years because of MJ! He retired, the league suffered and now they cant afford to pay bums $12 mil a year.

Whitlocks racial comments are absurd. He makes it sound like every player in the league bought thousand of pairs of Jordan's and thats why the brand was so successful, and marketing is so easy that Nike just said, "hey we should target inner city black kids" and thats why they bought the shoes. They bought them because MJ was so popular and the kids idolized him not because Nike made them! How come Kobe and Lebron's shoes arent nearly as popular?? If marketing was that easy every company would rake it in like Nike.

And finally, Whitlock is a total moron saying all MJ cares about is the bottom line, when the black players MJ is "trying to stop from succeeding" and Whitlock is defending are compaining that $15 or $20 mil a year isnt enough.

Reaction Score
The main problem with the argument that Inner City kids funding Jordan, of course, is that inner city kids don't have much money.
White suburbanites funded MJ.
Watch a Kentucky game for some perspective. The stands are virtually all white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom