OT: NBA Offseason | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Offseason

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Free agency starts at 6:00 pm tonight.

Early winners:

Utah - Mike Conley makes them a contender in the West.

Pelicans - Zion Williamson plus a haul from the AD trade for a guy that was going to be gone in a year.

Paces - Got TJ Warren for nothing and is about to sign Rubio, and I don't think they are done. Depending on when Oladipo returns, Pacers could challenge in the East.

Celtics - still have a lot of work to do this offseason, but made a huge upgrade at the point guard position. Now need to figure out center.

Pistons - Derrick Rose is a big pick up for a team that is abysmal after Drummond and Griffin.

Early Losers:

Nets - Kyrie Irving is not the best use of max contract money.

Timberwolves - not getting a sniff for Wiggins or from any free agents. KAT is going to have a lonely career.

Hornets - Kemba was a big loss, but this team needs to start over. Hornets will be really bad for a while.

Flirting with Trouble:

Knicks - I can't point to anything specific they are doing wrong, but I am confident they will screw up this offseason.

Lakers - May set a modern record for minimum contract players on a roster after they offer max money to Russell.

76ers - Probably losing Butler, which isn't the end of the world, but they have cap problems and no bench with a team that really needs a bench.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They basically need to trade Wiggins for jr Smith. They want to clear max room for Russell.

Good luck to them on that front.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The Celtics were not a winner. They just avoided being a loser by signing Kemba.
They did not make a huge upgrade at the point guard position. They made an upgrade on fit for the team. They did not make an upgrade on talent.

Kyrie was their plan A because he’s a top 5 PG in the league and the guy they traded a lottery pick for. Their plan A was a healthy Hayward, Kyrie not being an a**hat, and trading for Anthony Davis. That failed, tremendously.

Kemba was their plan B, at least.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If they can get Noel with the mle. This is going to be a brutal, strangling defense for opponents to face.

Reaction Score
I am interested to see what happens with Boj. Bogdanovich. He was extremely good last season and is rumored to be a top target of the Jazz. I really, really like that team provided they land him. And the Pacers could lose their top 2 3 point shooters from a team that couldn't shoot, and want to bring in Rubio. Seems like a potential disaster to me.

Reaction Score
Free agency starts at 6:00 pm tonight.

Early winners:

Utah - Mike Conley makes them a contender in the West.

Pelicans - Zion Williamson plus a haul from the AD trade for a guy that was going to be gone in a year.

Paces - Got TJ Warren for nothing and is about to sign Rubio, and I don't think they are done. Depending on when Oladipo returns, Pacers could challenge in the East.

Celtics - still have a lot of work to do this offseason, but made a huge upgrade at the point guard position. Now need to figure out center.

Pistons - Derrick Rose is a big pick up for a team that is abysmal after Drummond and Griffin.

Early Losers:

Nets - Kyrie Irving is not the best use of max contract money.

Timberwolves - not getting a sniff for Wiggins or from any free agents. KAT is going to have a lonely career.

Hornets - Kemba was a big loss, but this team needs to start over. Hornets will be really bad for a while.

Flirting with Trouble:

Knicks - I can't point to anything specific they are doing wrong, but I am confident they will screw up this offseason.

Lakers - May set a modern record for minimum contract players on a roster after they offer max money to Russell.

76ers - Probably losing Butler, which isn't the end of the world, but they have cap problems and no bench with a team that really needs a bench.

I think we'll look back and see 70 percent of your post was wrong.

Reaction Score
I understand that in the past two decades the Knicks have been a train wreck but I like their current GM Perry. As long as they let him do what he wants to do they will improve.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Celtics were not a winner. They just avoided being a loser by signing Kemba.
They did not make a huge upgrade at the point guard position. They made an upgrade on fit for the team. They did not make an upgrade on talent.

Kyrie was their plan A because he’s a top 5 PG in the league and the guy they traded a lottery pick for. Their plan A was a healthy Hayward, Kyrie not being an a**hat, and trading for Anthony Davis. That failed, tremendously.

Kemba was their plan B, at least.

If I was a GM, I would want players that help me win. I wouldn't care about some highlight film or nebulous, self-marketed potential a player claims to have. The Celtics will be better with Kemba than they would have been with Kyrie, and that is all the matters.

Every defense of Kyrie is some version of Kyrie would be a better player if he just played better in games. Got it. Every team he has been on plays better when he is out, which is quite a bit. Whatever potential he may have is hard to argue will be realized when he is a 27 year old that has been in the NBA for 8 years. He is who he is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Centers coming off the market.

Valanciunas staying in Memphis for $15MM/year. Reasonable contract and good fit.

Kings offering stupid money to Horford, and he may not take it.

Cousins appears to not be getting a lot of love, which is not surprising for someone whose diet seems to consist of equal parts Taco Bell and Burger King.

Reaction Score
There really is no reason to sign him. Either get a true max-level star, like Kawhi and you just overpower everyone with three top-10 players (who will all need the ball, and “load management”)...

Or

You get a solid piece who can shoot like an Eric Gordon or Jeremy or Khris Middleton (last one probably won’t happen), a couple low-mid level guys like a Pat Beverly, and a couple veterans to round out the holes.

Overpaying one dude is the last thing they can do with the current roster.

I don’t remember any sources noting that the Lakers have serious interest; I think that’s just been created and played up by the media. If anyone’s got a link though, I could be wrong

Reaction Score
Since you provided no commentary at all, your opinion won't matter if I am wrong.

Agree on Utah and Pels.

Don't like Indy's moves. Looks like they are getting Rubio while losing Collison, Young and maybe Bogdonovich. Not enough shooting. The Sabonis Turner front court has been bad together.

You are overreacting on Irving. Celtics can't be a winner with that frontcourt depth. Before Kemba they were a 4/5 seed, after Kemba they are a 4/5 seed.

Getting an injury prime Rose does not move the needle. Who cares.

Wolves are confident they will move Wiggins. They are a top target for D Lo. Doubt he goes to LAL.

76ers do have cap space... They just have a lot to sign. I think Butler stays.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Of course the Knicks will screw up because they are the Knicks. I don’t know enough about KD’s prognosis to know if he would be expected to return to form the season after next, but if so, I would think that signing him now and tanking next season for another lottery pick might be the smartest move for them.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If I was a GM, I would want players that help me win. I wouldn't care about some highlight film or nebulous, self-marketed potential a player claims to have. The Celtics will be better with Kemba than they would have been with Kyrie, and that is all the matters.

Every defense of Kyrie is some version of Kyrie would be a better player if he just played better in games. Got it. Every team he has been on plays better when he is out, which is quite a bit. Whatever potential he may have is hard to argue will be realized when he is a 27 year old that has been in the NBA for 8 years. He is who he is.
The Celtics will likely be a better team with Kemba. But that doesn’t mean Kemba is a better player than Kyrie.
The Celtics massively underachieved last year. And it seems like everyone’s opinion and narrative on Kyrie has changed after he was a misfit for one season in Boston. His talent didn’t disappear, he’s still a more talented player than Kemba.
Kyrie could be disgruntled everywhere he goes, cause issues with teammates, and think he’s Buddha for the next 10 years. He’s still a better basketball player than Kemba. His shooting, finishing, passing, handling is all better.

Reaction Score
The Celtics will likely be a better team with Kemba. But that doesn’t mean Kemba is a better player than Kyrie.
The Celtics massively underachieved last year. And it seems like everyone’s opinion and narrative on Kyrie has changed after he was a misfit for one season in Boston. His talent didn’t disappear, he’s still a more talented player than Kemba.
Kyrie could be disgruntled everywhere he goes, cause issues with teammates, and think he’s Buddha for the next 10 years. He’s still a better basketball player than Kemba. His shooting, finishing, passing, handling is all better.

The difference is better player vs better winner. Kemba just has better mental attributes.

Reaction Score
KD announcing via his company IG tonight. He had only met with the Warriors. My prediction is he signs with NY and gets an A - minus star to join. Wishful thinking?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Middleton staying in Milwaukee. Price is everything in determining how good a deal it is for Bucks. If it is a max deal, it is a decent move for the Bucks. If it is anything less than a max deal, it is a great deal for Bucks. Every dollar counts for the Bucks in retaining their starting lineup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kanter is a good consolation prize for Celts if they can't come up with reasonable deal for Horford.

Butler to Heat. Their cap is a mess, so I don't get how this signing happens. Heat need 76ers to be very helpful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KD announcing via his company IG tonight. He had only met with the Warriors. My prediction is he signs with NY and gets an A - minus star to join. Wishful thinking?
KD is going to be a Net with Kyrie

Reaction Score
I agree on Durant to the Knicks. I think that was always the destination and Knicks and Durant won't go back on it.

Reaction Score
I love Kemba obviously, but I think the people hyping him up to be more than just a marginal improvement on Kyrie are going to be pretty disappointed and I hope Celtics fans don't turn on him as a result.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree on Durant to the Knicks. I think that was always the destination and Knicks and Durant won't go back on it.
If KD can't play next season, why should they get another star now? Why not just tank this season and see what next year's draft and free agency brings?

Reaction Score
I love Kemba obviously, but I think the people hyping him up to be more than just a marginal improvement on Kyrie are going to be pretty disappointed and I hope Celtics fans don't turn on him as a result.

I agree. But I think most Celts fans turned on Kyrie and Rozier this year because of selfish play and lack of effort. Won't ever see that from Kemba.

Most reasonable fans aren't thinking he will improve on Kyrie. My thought is that Kemba's style allows JB and JT to improve more, if that makes sense. He's a team player, solid off ball, and will do anything to win, including give the ball to someone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom