OT: NBA Offseason | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Offseason

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Demarcus Cousins should have come back from his Achilles injury 20-30 pounds lighter than when he got hurt, but instead he was probably about 300 pounds when he returned to Golden State this season. His body was going to take time to recover, and rather than lighten the load, he loaded up.

He is not the first NBA player to eat himself out of a career, but it still amazes me whenever I see someone that gets paid millions of dollars for their athletic ability not take care of their body. He is going to be 30 years old and effectively out of the NBA for 2.5 years by the time he returns. He will likely be a backup after two serious leg injuries, if he even makes it back.

Reaction Score
Demarcus Cousins should have come back from his Achilles injury 20-30 pounds lighter than when he got hurt, but instead he was probably about 300 pounds when he returned to Golden State this season. His body was going to take time to recover, and rather than lighten the load, he loaded up.

He is not the first NBA player to eat himself out of a career, but it still amazes me whenever I see someone that gets paid millions of dollars for their athletic ability not take care of their body. He is going to be 30 years old and effectively out of the NBA for 2.5 years by the time he returns. He will likely be a backup after two serious leg injuries, if he even makes it back.
Lmao you are beyond oblivious. Dude lost weight going into the Playoffs. Use critical thinking; there’s no way weight is what caused a non-contact torn quad, trotting after a loose ball uncontested.

Cousins’s is the tragically perfect example of how injuries move along the kinetic chain to result in injury elsewhere, especially when rushed to return to strenuous work.

Ruptured his Achilles. Comes back too fast, quads overcompensate and tear. The knee is now unstable at both ends. The ACL goes just weeks after the quad.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lmao you are beyond oblivious. Dude lost weight going into the Playoffs. Use critical thinking; there’s no way weight is what caused a non-contact torn quad, trotting after a loose ball uncontested.

Cousins’s is the tragically perfect example of how injuries move along the kinetic chain to result in injury elsewhere, especially when rushed to return to strenuous work.

Ruptured his Achilles. Comes back too fast, quads overcompensate and tear. The knee is now unstable at both ends. The ACL goes just weeks after the quad.

You want to die on the "Boogie Cousins was in great shape" hill? Just making sure i got you to take that position.

Reaction Score
You want to die on the "Boogie Cousins was in great shape" hill? Just making sure i got you to take that position.
If he won't die on that hill I certainly will. Just look at the pictures from this off-season and try to tell me again with a straight face that he was overweight

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If he won't die on that hill I certainly will. Just look at the pictures from this off-season and try to tell me again with a straight face that he was overweight

Going on a crash diet right after the finals does not equal great shape. He has been overweight his whole career, including when he returned from the Achilles. I agree with RTW's kinetic chain, but I also know that joint stress is cumulative. Cousin's weight has been an issue his whole career, and that is a lot of additional cumulative force on his ankles and knees. I can't think of another NBA star getting an Achilles injury as young as 28. Are you arguing his weight has nothing to do with that?

I suspect that the knee problems pre-date last week's tear, but we're not publicly known.

Reaction Score
Going on a crash diet right after the finals does not equal great shape. He has been overweight his whole career, including when he returned from the Achilles. I agree with RTW's kinetic chain, but I also know that joint stress is cumulative. Cousin's weight has been an issue his whole career, and that is a lot of additional cumulative force on his ankles and knees. I can't think of another NBA star getting an Achilles injury as young as 28. Are you arguing his weight has nothing to do with that?

I suspect that the knee problems pre-date last week's tear, but we're not publicly known.

Off the top of my head Wes Matthews injured his Achilles when he was 29. The sample size of "NBA Star" is laughably low. Achilles tears are not that common. Shocking that it hasn't happened before.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head Wes Matthews injured his Achilles when he was 29. The sample size of "NBA Star" is laughably low. Achilles tears are not that common. Shocking that it hasn't happened before.

You think fat is better. Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I wasn't even trolling, and I got 4 posters to defend Demarcus Cousins' conditioning. This is an NBA all-star who has had conditioning problems his whole career and now that career is effectively over. But yeah, those two facts are completely unrelated because....?

Reaction Score
I wasn't even trolling, and I got 4 posters to defend Demarcus Cousins' conditioning. This is an NBA all-star who has had conditioning problems his whole career and now that career is effectively over. But yeah, those two facts are completely unrelated because....?
What are you even arguing? A player's conditioning after being out for a year? Of course a player isn't going to be in top NBA game conditioning form after sitting out forever.

Cousins was probably the skinniest he's ever been in his career. Sucks for him.

Reaction Score
What are you even arguing? A player's conditioning after being out for a year? Of course a player isn't going to be in top NBA game conditioning form after sitting out forever.

I think a position someone could take was that his original achilles injury was, in some part, caused by his weight. That if he was skinnier maybe he wouldn't have gotten hurt. Then that injury played a role in the ones that followed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Lakers got Cousins for $3.5 in the second week of free agency, after 29 teams passed on him. Maybe they all knew something that you didn't.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lakers are a worse version of the 2017-2018 Pelicans. That was a pretty good team with a nice starting lineup and no depth to speak of that made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. That's the upside of this Lakers team.

That is probably as good a comparison as you will find for the Lakers, and I agree that the Lakers will be worse than the 2017-2018 Pelicans because:

1) Lakers don't even have a full starting lineup. They have Davis, Lebron, Green and Kuzma. Who is the 5th starter? McGee? The Pelicans had Davis, Holiday, Cousins then Mirotic, E'Twuan Moore (who had a really good season), and Rondo (who was aging pretty quickly even then).

2) The only Pelicans' starter over the age of 30 was Rondo, who was 31 when the season started. They could play a 25 year old Davis and 28 year old Moore and Holliday a lot of minutes. Even as young as the team was, they lost Cousins to injury in January, and the workload was probably a factor. Assuming McGee starts, 3 of the Lakers starters (Lebron, Green, McGee) will be over 30 when the season starts, as will Rondo. You can't load these guys up with minutes. Bradley and KCP are the only two of the Top 8 that can probably handle a lot of minutes. After the Top 8, it gets really grim.

3) That Pelicans team only won 48 games, and their first round win over Portland was considered a pretty big upset.

4) The Pelicans' bench that year, as bad as it was, is better than the Lakers' bench will be this year.

Reaction Score
The Lakers got Cousins for $3.5 in the second week of free agency, after 29 teams passed on him. Maybe they all knew something that you didn't.
Yes all the teams except for the Lakers knew Cousins is obese, they didn't all back away from him because of his injury history it was because he's obese.

It's a shame Durant let himself go and was so fat leading to a torn Achilles.

Reaction Score
i.jpeg

Reaction Score
We know you’re not trolling. We know you’re actually as dumb as you post. You’re factually and logically wrong.

Reaction Score
I think a position someone could take was that his original achilles injury was, in some part, caused by his weight. That if he was skinnier maybe he wouldn't have gotten hurt. Then that injury played a role in the ones that followed.
Which would be ridiculous. Are we now talking like Cousins was some 300# slob?
What are you even arguing?
Something like “he ate himself out of the league” lol

Reaction Score
Which would be ridiculous. Are we now talking like Cousins was some 300# slob?

Something like “he ate himself out of the league” lol

Yeah I don't agree with it. His size is part of who he is. He was never obese or anything.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I am not a doctor or pretend to be one
This type of injury can happen to anyone, any size, any weight, any color/creed/religion etc.
That being said, anyone who says that DC has taken care of himself is off their rocker, the guy yo yos his weight depending on whether he wants to train to stay fit or just wants to eat and be lazy - a mirror on how he approaches the game - hot and cold. It's in his "I don't give a crap" attitude.
He is not someone I would want to rely on or as a friend - never mind a teammate
I agree his size is part of who he is - but not anywhere in the sense that bballgrda does.

Reaction Score
I am not a doctor or pretend to be one
This type of injury can happen to anyone, any size, any weight, any color/creed/religion etc.
That being said, anyone who says that DC has taken care of himself is off their rocker, the guy yo yos his weight depending on whether he wants to train to stay fit or just wants to eat and be lazy - a mirror on how he approaches the game - hot and cold. It's in his "I don't give a crap" attitude.
He is not someone I would want to rely on or as a friend - never mind a teammate
I agree his size is part of who he is - but not anywhere in the sense that bballgrda does.
That's too bad for Boogie, he was dying to be your friend.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't agree with it. His size is part of who he is. He was never obese or anything.
He was one of the most explosive players in the league pre injury. It's crazy talk

Reaction Score
I don’t remember him ever playing above the rim a lot, coming down hard with his weight. Weight concerns related to injury are reserved for people like Zion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom