NBA Offseason

West Regular Season Rankings

Tier 1 team are championship contenders. Tier 3 teams will battle for the playoffs.

Tier 1

1) LAC - Great high end talent and great depth. Weakness should be center defensively. Harrell is to small and Zubac is mediocre. May not be an issue, but they will have some unfavorable match-ups in the playoffs.

2) Denver - Amazing depth throughout. Nice pickup today with Grant. The front office seems to expect that Porter will eventually be their 1a or 1b player and that would be scary.

3) Houston - The most undervalued team. They were the #1 threat to the Warriors the past 2 seasons and are running it back.

4) LAL - It wasn't long ago that Bradley and KCP were more highly regarded than Green. Green couldn't shoot 2 years ago. Bradley and KCP were complete failures when given more of the offensive load. I have a hard time imagining they are completely washed at age 28 and 26. If they just suck there will be a lot of defensive issues against quick guards.

Tier 2

5) Utah - Great regular season offensive team. My concern is the lack of defensive wings in the playoffs. How can Bogdan and Ingles possibly handle Kawhi/PG?

6) Portland - They are incredibly high on Anfernee Simons and he looked great the other night in SL. They need Collins to blossom because Whiteside won't cut it.

7) Warriors - This may be the worst collection of wings in the league. They are taking all offense, no defense to the next level.

Tier 3

8) Spurs - Underrated signings with Morris and Carroll. Merely competent, but heir only competent wing last year was Gay and he is a much better 4 at this point. They expect huge things from Dejounte. Murray, White and Lonnie Walker IV can be a very promising young backcourt. Walker has looked awesome in the SL.

Mavs - They blew the offseason by striking out on all available wing players.

Kings - Really like their young talent and depth throughout the roster. One of their young kids needs to take the jump.

Pelicans - Great depth and young talent throughout. I think Zion will be merely good. Frontcourt defensively will be an issue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
West:

1) Clippers - This is how you build a team. Deep and talented across the board, can handle an 82 game regular season and have a team fresh heading into the playoffs. Rivers is a great coach for this squad too.

2) Nuggets - Like the talent. The Joker is going to have a monster season, and Millsap is the perfect complement to him down low. Murray could make the All Star team this year. Grant was a good pickup, and I like Beasley and Morris off the bench. I do not like Malone though, and that is the only thing holding me back from putting them in the conference finals against the Clippers. They will have a good regular season though.

3) Jazz - Mike Conley is too short and has lost a quarter step and is just an OK shooter, and he just has game. Teams that want to make ESPN's SportsCenter's Top 10 Plays get Kyrie Irving. Teams that want to win get Kemba Walker or Mike Conley. Mitchell's erratic shooting was a problem in the past, but with Conley and Bogdonavic the offense should be more consistent. Gobert erases a lot of defensive mistakes. Ingles becomes a 6th man, which is the right role for him.

4) Rockets - Stop trying to make a big splash, and instead try to find a good backup wing. Capela is becoming a force inside, and Paul still has it. I like Eric Gordon, and Harden is one of the top scorers in the NBA.

5) Spurs - I like this team. DeRozan and Aldridge are a solid inside outside tandem. I think Murray has a ton of upside, and this may be the deepest team in the NBA.

6) Warriors - I am not crazy about the fit, but Russell is a good player and will relieve a lot of pressure from Curry. The Warriors are going to have problems defensively but they will still win 45-50 games.

7) Portland - Lillard and McCollum are a very good backcourt, but they are going to miss Kanter. Nurkic is probably missing the season, and Whiteside may put up a few huge games, but it is hard to forget how useless he is most of the time. With Nurkic, this is a 55 win team. I don't think they get to 50.

8) Pelicans - Jrue has some finishers to work with, and I think he is going to have a great year. The team is still a little young, but they have a lot of weapons.

9) Kings - Hield and Fox is a good backcourt, and Bogdoanovic could be a star. This team could shock everyone and get a 6 seed.

10) Lakers - I was not a fan to begin with, but playing LeBron at point is insanity. He will break down by New Year's.

11) Dallas - Doncic and Porzingis should be a deadly combo. I like Hardaway as long as he is not asked to do too much. The roster has a bit of a rotisserie feel to it with so many moves in the offseason for secondary players, and it could take a while to get the team on the same page.

12) Thunder - this team is not terrible, unless they trade Westbrook, but the west is too good for a team like this to sneak into the playoffs. 5 years from now they could be awesome though.

13) Timberwolves - bad team, and bad franchise.

14) Grizzlies - great offseason, but next year is a rebuilding year.

15) Suns - suck

I think the Clippers are going to be very good too but I really doubt they are going to be the number one seed in the West...I think they will settle around 4 or 5. Paul George is coming off a serious surgery and may not even be ready to start the season and Kahwi is going to sit a lot of games as he did last season. By the playoffs they will probably be the most dangerous team. Nuggets and Jazz should be the top on the regular season.

uconnbaseball

i'll be right here
Bold Nelson...one strong disagreement is Minnesota. They were competitive when Covington was healthy last year - I feel they will compete for the 8 seed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
The more I think about it, the more I think Detroit has to make a move for Westbrook. Detroit is not a free agent destination, so cleaning house and hitting the free agent market is not going to work. They need to make a trade to get better. They have two immovable contracts already, so they don't have a lot of moves to make on the trade market. They basically need a team that is doing a salary dump to get into rebuilding mode. Meet the Thunder.

Westbrook has issues as a player, but he did make it to an NBA Finals and he is still averaging a triple double. He is still one of the top 10-20 players in the league, and unguardable 1-on-1. Put him on a team with 3 other scoring options like Griffin, Drummond and Rose, and Detroit has a shot in the east. It also enables Detroit to load manage Griffin better because they won't need him on the court to score. Detroit would be in salary cap purgatory for a while, but Detroit is going to be there anyway with Griffin's contract so why not take a shot at a title?

By waiting they have lowered the price for Westbrook to the point that OKC may include a draft pick or two just to get someone to take that contract. If Detroit could hold back Kennard and do a salary dump to get Westbrook plus a draft pick or two, I think they should make the deal.

1) LAC/MIL - doc & depth gives them best record. giannis builds on MVP year.
2) HOU/PHI - harden is harden, maybe some cohesion after a few years together gets them over the top. PHI massive/versatile front court will overpower teams.
3) LAL/BRK - LAL will have a season of streaks and “time to panic?” segments on sportscenter, but the talent and veterans will have this team in position to win a title come playoff time. Caris/Dimwiddie/Harris/Allen is a nucleus of young guys who are just getting better. Kyrie/jordan are just icing.
4) UTA/IND - Picking up bojan is most underrated move of offseason. Pacers won a lot of games WITHOUT olidipo last year.
5) GSW/BOS - We saw what curry did without KD, and without klay as well.. he might be on a MVP campaign this year. A healthy Klay come playoff time and they are a threat to beat anyone. WCS/Looney will be hold down the 5 and draymond isn’t going anywhere. Boston will need big improvements from tatum/hayward to compete with top of east.
6) DEN/DET - A loaded west and someone has to drop, but porter being an impact player could move them up a few spots. Blake/drummond is good enough to win games in top heavy east.
7) POR/MIA - Don’t think portland got better, another victim of elite conference. MIA almost snuck in last year, swapping wade for jimmy will get them a few more wins.
8) NO/ATL - Could be Dallas, but if zion is runaway rookie of year and ingram continues to improve.. they’ll sneak in. ATL is talented enough to sneak in as well.

the Q

Thanos 2020: he did nothing wrong
Ainge once again
I loved Murray and Levert.

Can’t blame him for siakam. No one else mocked him in round 1, at all.

And we're back to big news

Yeah wonder what the thunder will do with Chris Paul as I’m sure he doesn’t want to be on a rebuilding team at this stage of his career.

Yeah wonder what the thunder will do with Chris Paul as I’m sure he doesn’t want to be on a rebuilding team at this stage of his career.
There's really no option for a buyout with $120M left. Maybe they flip him to DET or MIA for all the same reasons we talked about them trading for Westbrook

Contracts are prob similar for avg value. Except Westbrook has an extra year at 47m. They save money in year 4 and get 2 pick andn2 swaps. I’m surprised they got that much for him

I mean he and Adams in the pick and roll could be something; Adams is obviously tailing off but he’s never had a PG like Paul. You have picks you can trade for some pieces right now, a la the Celtics. It doesn’t have to be a rebuild; frankly it shouldn’t, given Paul’s and Adams’s contracts

I mean he and Adams in the pick and roll could be something; Adams is obviously tailing off but he’s never had a PG like Paul. You have picks you can trade for some pieces right now, a la the Celtics. It doesn’t have to be a rebuild; frankly it shouldn’t, given Paul’s and Adams’s contracts
They won't suck if CP remains healthy but their options are basically to tear it down or to compete for the 8 seed. Considering they have just traded for 8 first round picks plus their own I think the choice is obvious.

Per Ramona it sounds like they may try do CP a solid and get him somewhere good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
There's really no option for a buyout with $120M left. Maybe they flip him to DET or MIA for all the same reasons we talked about them trading for Westbrook
I thought this too. Paul would be a really good fit for Detroit stylistically. Paul's contract matches up with Griffin's, but if memory serves, Paul and Griffin were not best buds by the time their days on the Clippers ended. I suspect both are desperate enough by this point in their careers that even a longshot chance on Detroit is better than finishing their careers on the playoff bubble or rebuilding.

They can compete for the 8 seed if Adams stays, though I think I'd take others ahead of them. But I suspect he's gone before the year starts

I thought this too. Paul would be a really good fit for Detroit stylistically. Paul's contract matches up with Griffin's, but if memory serves, Paul and Griffin were not best buds by the time their days on the Clippers ended. I suspect both are desperate enough by this point in their careers that even a longshot chance on Detroit is better than finishing their careers on the playoff bubble or rebuilding.
Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at, DET seems like the only good fit. We pretty much know how that team will do with CP3 and Blake and Drummond basically being Deandre Jordan. But what other choice does DET have at this point? Can't dump contracts and Blake/Drummond will never be bad enough to bottom out the next few years

Yeah I think the Heat and Pistons are the best bet. Both have big expirings to use in trades and both teams would be psyched to land CP and challenge for home court advantage, even with no real path to a title.

Haven't looked at any #'s but my first thought is Paul ends up on the Lakers. Don't know how they could swing it but could also see Beal in the mix for them.

I just have to say the best thing about my sports entertainment day today was skip and uncle Shay coming up with the name “Kawhi-ser Soze”