NBA draft question | The Boneyard

NBA draft question

Reaction Score
I don't entirely understand the NBA game. Why would a player like Clingan be far more valued (by NBA executives) than Zach Edey?

Other than DC's youth (I know the NBA covets youthful potential), why the perceived differences? And what are the real skill differences that matter in the pro game?

I am a UConn diehard just trying to wrap my head around what the NBA wants?

Reaction Score
Defense/athleticism, turn an NBA game on and watch what is required defensively of a modern NBA bigman in regards to protecting the rim and switching/recovering

Reaction Score
I don't entirely understand the NBA game. Why would a player like Clingan be far more valued (by NBA executives) than Zach Edey?

Other than DC's youth (I know the NBA covets youthful potential), why the perceived differences? And what are the real skill differences that matter in the pro game?

Lateral movement on D is probably the most glaring difference, quick jumper off the ground, great hands and passer, BBIQ.

Reaction Score

Mobility.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Edey is a fine athlete and a huge human, but as we saw in the title game, lacks quickness and foot speed to even cover basic ball screens against faster bigs. He will get drafted because he is a great offensive post player, but will have to improve his other non-shooting skills to stick in the league.

Clingan, obviously, did not have the college stats that Edey had. Part of that is our system (we play very team oriented vs Purdue ran everything through Zach) and part of it was that he is still developing offensively. With that said, Clingan at 7'2" moves like he is 6'2" on the defensive end, is a very underrated passer (his ability to make decisions with the ball in his hands away from the basket will really be highlighted at the next level IMO), and has a high BBIQ.

While less polished, especially scoring the ball, Clingan has skills, mobility and IQ that is highly coveted at the next level.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Meet Cooper Flagg, the next ‘White Duke villain’ and a potential No. 1 pick

Long story in the Washington Post...

"Flagg is the top prospect in the 2025 NBA draft class and has overshadowed this year’s relatively weak crop, which will be in the spotlight during Sunday’s draft lottery..."

“We definitely had that conversation with Cooper and explained the gravity of the situation,” his mom, Kelly Flagg said. “If you choose this school, you’re about to be the greatest, hated White Duke villain.”

Reaction Score
Clinigan’s length & his ability to defend in space- is the real difference for the NBA between Edey & him. In NBA as a big must be able to guard on the perimeter because of all the switching.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gregg needs to stick to WBB. Wait, what?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom