Navy may be sunk | The Boneyard

Navy may be sunk

Reaction Score
They survived Paul Johnson leaving, which I didn't think they would. I don't get why P5 schools go after option guys.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Can he coach a different scheme? I know Paul Johnson has had decent success with the triple option at GT but I'm not sure how successful it would be at AZ, mostly because it requires a complete overhaul of the players you have. I guess it could work but I'm surprised schools at the higher level want to use that type of offense.

AZ has been running read option under RichRod. Not a major change to triple option, despite the dumb comments from their QB.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1 - Most experts thought they were finished when Johnson left.

2 - Navy fully understands that the triple option is the only way they can compete in football at this level.

If they lose Niumatolo, they will promote from within and there is a good chance things will continue as they have been. They won't have the same concerns that our schools would have as their recruits are choosing the school primarily because of the school, not the coach. Additionally, their players are normally more conditioned to follow a chain of command, accepting a change in leadership without question or change in attitude.

If the new staff (likely with a number of holdovers) can continue to teach, they'll be fine.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
AZ has been running read option under RichRod. Not a major change to triple option, despite the dumb comments from their QB.
Thx. I know nothing about them so this would make sense for hiring him and having a smoother transition

Reaction Score
Middle of the pack P5 teams are in a pickle. Sure, the money is great but say you are Purdue or Indiana your team never will be great with Ohio State and Michigan in your way. Look at any P5 conference. There is a caste system that makes the final standings fairly predictable on opening day.

So why not go to the triple option? In the PAC 12, Arizona has a much better chance to defeat USC, at least occasionally, then if they run a pro set or typical college spread. Hell, your chances are not any worse. I'm surprised more teams don't try it.

Reaction Score
1 - Most experts thought they were finished when Johnson left.

2 - Navy fully understands that the triple option is the only way they can compete in football at this level.

If they lose Niumatolo, they will promote from within and there is a good chance things will continue as they have been. They won't have the same concerns that our schools would have as their recruits are choosing the school primarily because of the school, not the coach. Additionally, their players are normally more conditioned to follow a chain of command, accepting a change in leadership without question or change in attitude.

If the new staff (likely with a number of holdovers) can continue to teach, they'll be fine.
Gladchuck is one of the better AD's in the league, he'll find a good candidate for HC if he has to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom