Navy looks like they will join BE, but not until 2014 | The Boneyard

Navy looks like they will join BE, but not until 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This could be good news. Navy stated that they think the BE is stable now as has Notre Dame. These are all good signs for UConn and the BE.

Reaction Score
Navy joining would absolutely be good news. Both because of what Annapolis adds to the conference in terms of prestige, location and quality football, and because it is affirmation that a team not desperate to leave where it is views the Big East as a good place to be. Having more information about television future than we do.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This appears to be a very positive development. I wonder if Air Force reconsiders. If not who would be candidates for the 12th member?

Reaction Score
I don't love the service academies as members of the Big East, but it's a good move for the reasons that BL laid out, I think. I'm skeptical that they'll be much more than a placeholder, but it isn't a bad addition.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't love the service academies as members of the Big East, but it's a good move for the reasons that BL laid out, I think. I'm skeptical that they'll be much more than a placeholder, but it isn't a bad addition.

I agree. Nice to see more schools with some history on the FB side.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This appears to be a very positive development. I wonder if Air Force reconsiders. If not who would be candidates for the 12th member?
Paul Doyle thinks it's Temple...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Paul Doyle thinks it's Temple...
If I'm the BE I wait until after April to see if the B12 drops WV from their invite.

Reaction Score
If I'm the BE I wait until after April to see if the B12 drops WV from their invite.
You keep hammering this whole WV will get dropped by the Big 12 if they cant make it by 2012. The BE looks like a bunch of idiots for not negotiating with all 3 schools to leave by 2013, in my opinion. Not sure if WV should be allowed to leave in 2012, but if you don't think the SEC and Missouri can't be persuaded to wait one year? Also don't understand what value there is for the BE to piss of the SEC, the Big 12 and the ACC, and keep schools till 2014, when they have 5 schools set to join in 2013. There appears to be changes coming in regards to the BCS, and the BE can use allies not enemies.

Reaction Score
You keep hammering this whole WV will get dropped by the Big 12 if they cant make it by 2012. The BE looks like a bunch of idiots for not negotiating with all 3 schools to leave by 2013, in my opinion. Not sure if WV should be allowed to leave in 2012, but if you don't think the SEC and Missouri can't be persuaded to wait one year? Also don't understand what value there is for the BE to piss of the SEC, the Big 12 and the ACC, and keep schools till 2014, when they have 5 schools set to join in 2013. There appears to be changes coming in regards to the BCS, and the BE can use allies not enemies.
lets see. The ACC and Big 12 have basically crapped on the big east every chance possible and you think we should be concerned about pissing them off. Sorry disagree.

Reaction Score
lets see. The ACC and Big 12 have basically crapped on the big east every chance possible and you think we should be concerned about pissing them off. Sorry disagree.
August 2, 2011, seems like the BE was looking at adding ACC teams
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/pitt-redshirt-diaries/28860-big-east-media-day
"The dream scenario would be the current league, plus TCU and BC and Maryland and if three schools of that quality were added, then a 12th school could be a Villanova or Central Florida and the conference would clearly be better. However, adding Villanova or Central Florida as the 10th school or adding both as the 10th and 11th schools would not
add a thing to the conference and thus is not attractive to anyone at this point."

Reaction Score
August 2, 2011, seems like the BE was looking at adding ACC teams
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/pitt-redshirt-diaries/28860-big-east-media-day
"The dream scenario would be the current league, plus TCU and BC and Maryland and if three schools of that quality were added, then a 12th school could be a Villanova or Central Florida and the conference would clearly be better. However, adding Villanova or Central Florida as the 10th school or adding both as the 10th and 11th schools would not
add a thing to the conference and thus is not attractive to anyone at this point."

I for one think the ACC made a smart move. Business is business just like it's business for the BE to hold onto schools and do everything it can do to slow down the process and throw whatever monkey wrenches it has.

Reaction Score
I for one think the ACC made a smart move. Business is business just like it's business for the BE to hold onto schools and do everything it can do to slow down the process and throw whatever monkey wrenches it has.

The "business is business" line works for businesses. I still utterly reject the theory that you should evaluate non-profits the same way. Pay taxes and live your life with a business is business ethos, or don't pay taxes and act like a charity that serves the public interest.

Reaction Score
The "business is business" line works for businesses. I still utterly reject the theory that you should evaluate non-profits the same way. Pay taxes and live your life with a business is business ethos, or don't pay taxes and act like a charity that serves the public interest.

Can't argue with the moral argument pertaining to the schools and conferences technically being not for profit institutions at all. The TV networks on the other hand only have the obligation to make a profit. It's definitely worth discussing whether not for profit status should be afforded to these money making enterprises.

Reaction Score
I don't like Navy (or Temple) as I feel their upside is limited. Those schools at best will be a middle of the pack Big East school. While schools like Fresno State or even Memphis, Nevada, with the right coach and upgrades could become a top 25 team.

Reaction Score
I don't like Navy (or Temple) as I feel their upside is limited. Those schools at best will be a middle of the pack Big East school. While schools like Fresno State or even Memphis, Nevada, with the right coach and upgrades could become a top 25 team.
Why can't Navy get the right coach and upgrades? They may have the right coach. They were a top 25 team in 2004 when they went 10-2. They will always have recruiting "disadvantages" (for lack of a better term), but with a BCS bid in reach, they may be ablel to recruit better athletes.

I don't want Temple, but Navy should not be compared to Temple. Navy has fans.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Memphis has neither the will nor the desire to compete nationally at football. They have displayed this time and time again. They'd much rather cash SEC travel checks and invest in basketball.

The Fresno State/Nevada crap has got to stop. Seriously.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Memphis has neither the will nor the desire to compete nationally at football. They have displayed this time and time again. They'd much rather cash SEC travel checks and invest in basketball.

The Fresno State/Nevada crap has got to stop. Seriously.

And your suggestion for team #12 is....?

Reaction Score
What's the hurry?

We can wait for BYU and/or Air Force to see the light.
As mentioned elsewhere, I kinda like staying at 10 for a while, giving us a trip to Texas and Florida each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom