Navy Football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Navy Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Carl,

I share your excitement about Navy. In anticipation and hoping for this conclusion, I've been watching "A Game Of Honor" on CBS Sports Network, which does a great job giving us a behind the scenes of the respective football teams.

This is big time, Carl!! There's even a double down factor in that the new large media capital schools in Orlando, Dallas, Houston and San Diego as all 4 reside in states heavy recruited by the service academies. (Check out current rosters) Yes, I expect Army and Air Force to join, too.

Check out this article :
http://navy.scout.com/2/1147267.html

Now, this is the type of strategic thinking and value proposition I expect from our college football conference we should "love." I dare espn to try some mess now and we still have a Notre Dame that's still steaming at espn, pitt and cuse for their backstabbing. And Notre Dame can do whatever it wants and its still the most talked about team in the nation.

By the way, are you aware since cantor became president at cuse that admissions acceptance has increases from 31% to current 55% as well as losing AAU status?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Very good news. Not great and let's not pretend that we just poached Alabama from the SEC or PSU from the B1G.

However, Navy is a national brand, is well represented in the DC market and can sell seats throughout the country. When Navy travels to SDSU, the stadium will be a sellout. There's literally close to 250,000 active duty Sailors and retirees in the San Diego area.

It's a great road trip for Uconn fans. Annapolis is a great harbor town on the Chesapeake and fans can easily make it back to DC for some nightlife after the game.

Orlando and Tampa will draw well for Navy games there as well with all the Navy retirees in the Sunshine State.

I've been in the Navy for 18 years and it wasn't until I went to Annapolis a couple of years ago for work that I realized how much press Navy gets in the DC papers, markets and stores. It's right up there with Maryland and Georgetown.

Navy had bowl agreements in San Diego before and will give us a tie-in for a DC-based bowl and will help solidify a Florida bowl.

Navy games are televised around the world on land and at sea on the Armed Forces Network or Armed Forces Radio and Television Network.

Plus you'll get cool flyovers too.

For a home run, the BE needs to grab BYU and the AFA. Big schools, big fans bases and national audiences.

The BE is getting more of brand with Navy than they are on-field performance, but the same can be said for dook and other schools who have historically branded consistently bad football teams.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Okay. This is funny.

In my fourth paragraph, I typed "Orlando and T-a-m-p-a" and that's what shows up on the preview screen. However, the actual post that I'm seeing now has "Orlando and S-y-r-a-c-u-s-e".

If this is a goof on SouthTampaBill, well done.

Otherwise I'm confused and amused.

Reaction Score
Very good news. Not great and let's not pretend that we just poached Alabama from the SEC or PSU from the B1G.

However, Navy is a national brand, is well represented in the DC market and can sell seats throughout the country. When Navy travels to SDSU, the stadium will be a sellout. There's literally close to 250,000 active duty Sailors and retirees in the San Diego area.

It's a great road trip for Uconn fans. Annapolis is a great harbor town on the Chesapeake and fans can easily make it back to DC for some nightlife after the game.

Orlando and Syracuse will draw well for Navy games there as well with all the Navy retirees in the Sunshine State.

I've been in the Navy for 18 years and it wasn't until I went to Annapolis a couple of years ago for work that I realized how much press Navy gets in the DC papers, markets and stores. It's right up there with Maryland and Georgetown.

Navy had bowl agreements in San Diego before and will give us a tie-in for a DC-based bowl and will help solidify a Florida bowl.

Navy games are televised around the world on land and at sea on the Armed Forces Network or Armed Forces Radio and Television Network.

Plus you'll get cool flyovers too.

For a home run, the BE needs to grab BYU and the AFA. Big schools, big fans bases and national audiences.

The BE is getting more of brand with Navy than they are on-field performance, but the same can be said for dook and other schools who have historically branded consistently bad football teams.
I agree wholeheartedly, this a great addition to Big East football.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
You're basing that on what happened with Army I suppose. Blanket statement?

It's always about recruiting, doesn't matter who or where you are. If there's a level of competition you ant to be at, you need to recruit to be at that level. Army failed. They've been failing for a long time. Not sure what the hell happened to the football program over there at West Point.

Here are the actual officer fatality figures from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan through 6/29/07: Army, 297; Navy, 15; Marines, 75; Air Force, 13. (Source: Congressional Research Service Report for Congress American War and Military Operations Casualties: Lists and Statistics, Updated 6/29/07)

Reaction Score
Its Navy. Fine. They will give teams trouble because they play a strange type of offense that nobody sees so you have to game plan unlike every other opponent. But this isn't 1960, Joe Bellino isn't running out of the backfield and Roger Staubach isn't playing for the plebes (or whatever freshman at navy are called), ready to step in next year. I'm fine with it but not excited. As for the 12th team, I really think it needs to be Temple, and not for just football. The other thing that happens to the Big East basketball League is that it loses 3 major players and replaces them with, well, to be kind teams with potential. Temple brings a team that can compete at a level comparable to West Virginia and Pitt once you add the BigEast label to them.

Reaction Score
Uptop, I appreciate greatly your response. What has happening here, with the big east is one of the most important things I think that's happened for the conference in it's entire existence.

Of course, you'll see next to nothing about it from espn and their media empire. What you will read, is people - well commenting like many right here.

I'm well aware of the fatality statistics, and clearly the guys training at West Point have a lot more on their minds than football, b/c they all knew where they we're going when they graduate, but I don't buy that the fatality statistics are what's driving it down, because in the past, in times of war, it was football that kept those guys sane and focused, and they put everything they had into it.

But something's changed at Army over recent years. I'm not familiar whatsoever with the chain of command there, but the guys over there that are training for combat leadership on land don't seem to have the same passion for football in recent years, that was there well up through the 1980s.

It all comes back to recruiting for me. They tried conference membership, but they didn't do well. Something went amiss with recruiting. If they're going to get back to a level of competition they should be at, it's going to take a change over there in recruiting. No different than any other footbll program.

Navy has a 10 year win streak on Army, that's all we need to know.

I will guarantee anythign though, that right now, they are behind closed doors, in the hills over there at West Point looking over the Hudson, and seriously evaluating their history and where they want to go with Army football. Depending on who's still alive, and who you talk to and read, Gen. Douglas MacArthur's darkest days of the Pacific theatre of world war 2, were held together and motivated to go on based on his almost daily correspondence with Earl Blaik about the football team.

The history of football at Army and Navy, and the power and pride behind those two institutions is something that ESPN isn't going to duck with. As I said before, until yesterday, I would have much more easily believed that Notre Dame would join the big east for football, before Navy.

Big time kudos to the Big East Conference.

P.S. I wasn't aware of what's been happening at Cuse in reference to what you cite. Hmmm.......

Reaction Score
I for one am happy to see Navy join the BE. For the BE's chance of success in the future...see my avatar.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/spor...oin-forces-for-15-season?zc_p=0#axzz1kUWOarcZ

“We have a definite challenge ahead of us,” coach Ken Niumatalolo said. “I feel like there’s drift happening between the haves and havenots (in major college football), and I want to be with the haves.”

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Reaction Score
I'll be rooting for Navy to beat everybody but UConn. As for the Army/Navy game. I think that the potential of that game after thanksgiving, having an impact on something like a conference championship game......is something to really look forward to. As for drawing interest, there's a pretty big navy base, less than 45 miles from Rentschler.

I wish there were a way for Navy to join sooner, but there's that pesky thing called honoring your commitments and contracts that gets in the way, and 2015 is the earliest they'd be able to manage a big east conference schedule based on their existing football contracts and commitments. I suppose they could just say, aw hell, we don't give a rat's ass what we said last week........

Loyalty, Duty, Respect. Honor. That's army terminology, but whatever. It's the same idea.

Never would have figured West Virginian's to be the ones to all over those whole concepts. Yes UConn was actively looking elsewhere for an athletic home recently. Nothing to hide, and nothing shady about it. The duty to protect was forefront and open. The respect comes from making good on your duty, and the loyalty pays off.

Cuse and Pitt, went a different route, but still held on to some kind of respect because of the loyalty to what they had committed to.

Oh well, enough proselytizing from me on Navy. I'm psyched, and if they go 1-11 every year and beat only Army, that's ok w/ me, and I will root aaginst them every time they play UConn. I'm not really a complex individual. :)

Reaction Score
Why this is good:

1) Good road trip every few years
2) Should help TV

Otherwise, I'm pretty indifferent.

Reaction Score
I've been a ticket holder for hoop longer but I haven't missed a home football game in 10 years. It's not a big deal. It's Navy and Roger Staubach is not walking through that door.

The irrational exuberance here reminds of that the classic Iverson press conference. But instead of practice, I hear Navy. We're not talkin about Notre Dame, we're talkin about Navy.

I agree. I find it hard to get excited about a service academy. I really don't like football-only members either though but consider the service academies to be the only acceptable long-term football only members. Really I hardly care anymore. If it works out it works out but I would personally have preferred to go to a 12 FB and 20 BB model with all of the football schools being all in. I suppose we could still go to a 12 FB and 19 basketball membership eventually with Navy being the lone football-only member though so it's cool I guess. Having a bunch of football-only members just kills any hope of being perceived as stable though.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to Carl, you lost me yesterday when you suggested that ND would have difficulty scheduling games in the future.

Reaction Score
Fannies in the seats! I here it all the time. Well I can see Rentschler Field packed when Navy plays up here seeing as the sub base is only an hour away. And who's to say that Navy doesn't get a boost in recruiting by belonging to a BCS conference? I know their recruiting requirements are different from a state school so spare us all that boring lecture. But this might open the door for the other independents to join also including, dare I say it, Notre Dame. I agree with a earlier poster about Temple. I can only see them joining as a good thing both in football and basketball. Philly is a pro sports town hooey!! If Temple runs the table one year Eastern PA will be jumping on that bandwagon just like what happened at Oregon, Boise St and TCU. People like winners.

Reaction Score
The conference is more interesting with Navy in it than it is without it.

I'm pretty psyched about it. Even if they aren't a top FCS program they bring intangibles.

I know that everyone seems to want the stars align and end up with some perfect alignment but I'm ok with what has been done.

I want BE football to be fun, and if we put up a 12-0 record I want to be able to be in consideration for a title shot. I believe this alignment does that.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.185831,-73.173694

Reaction Score
Cuirous if Navy will keep playing ND after they move to the BE. Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
Navy has made it clear that their annual game with Notre Dame will continue , and that the Army Navy game will be played the last Saturday of the regular season as usual once they are in conference, and that they will continue to play Air Force annually. That's three OOC games they will have every year.

They do have long scheduling histories with SMU and Rutgers, and those will jsut continue as conference games. I would think that an 8 game conference schedule would be played among the 12 team league, and that leaves 4 OOC games. So unless Army, Air Force, or Notre Dame become Big East members (which isn't that unrealistic now)....Navy will have only one game per year with which to rotate in and out with new opponents come 2015.

The program that stands the most chance to lose out ont he Navy rivalrly in the future is actually Maryland....how's that for irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom