Navy coming to BE in 2015 | The Boneyard

Navy coming to BE in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like the 11th member has been decided, now who willl be #12? Still would like to see talks resume with a BYU, or a prayer for ND ( a prayer that will go unanswered), I think they are the only two major additions out there. Mid level would have to be ECU, or a team like Tulsa, Memphis is ok as well as a few others.

Anyway welcome aboard Navy!

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ipmen-join-big-east-football-2015-source-says

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I say we wait a couple of months and then go back after Air Force now that Navy is on board and they see what an ugly mess the MWC-CUSA merger is going to be.

Reaction Score
yeah air force slipped my mind, but definately in that top tier group IMO. as much as I may like some of the mid level schools, I think the focus needs to be to fill out the Pacific Division so an esatern(ish) team doesn't have to shift out west.

Reaction Score
yeah air force slipped my mind, but definately in that top tier group IMO. as much as I may like some of the mid level schools, I think the focus needs to be to fill out the Pacific Division so an esatern(ish) team doesn't have to shift out west.

Louisville and Cincinnati, as things are currently constituted, are two of the Western members.

Unless BYU and/or Air Force have a change of heart, I would think that Temple will be number 12. The Big East is not rushing to add Temple because I believe they want to exhaust all efforts with BYU and AFA before they go down that road.

Assuming BYU stays Indy and AFA joins the new whatever (CUSA/MWC), I think we'll end up with this:

West:

Boise
Cincinnati
Houston
Louisville
San Diego State
Southern Methodist

East:

Central Florida
Connecticut
Navy
Rutgers
South Florida
Temple

Reaction Score
i'm really looking forward to making that road trip every couple of years. this is terrific news. hopefully we don't get pasted by 30 points next time we play

Reaction Score
Is Temple definitely in? Gosh, I hope not. They bring nothing to the table. And, please don't bring up the Philly market . . . they are a professional sports town (like Boston). College teams are an afterthought. BCU (based on the following of the Boston market) = witness protection.

Reaction Score
Louisville and Cincinnati, as things are currently constituted, are two of the Western members.

Unless BYU and/or Air Force have a change of heart, I would think that Temple will be number 12. The Big East is not rushing to add Temple because I believe they want to exhaust all efforts with BYU and AFA before they go down that road.

Assuming BYU stays Indy and AFA joins the new whatever (CUSA/MWC), I think we'll end up with this:

West:

Boise
Cincinnati
Houston
Louisville
San Diego State
Southern Methodist

East:

Central Florida
Connecticut
Navy
Rutgers
South Florida
Temple

Temple has come a long way from when they were kicked out but I would rather see a school like ECU get a shot, not to mention that they want to be here with all their being.

Random thoughts;
  • I don't like the idea of moving both Cinncinnati and Louisville to the west
  • it would have to be or BYU (although selfishly Iwould want both)
  • adding both would put the west at 6 teams and with addition of Navy that would put the league at 13
  • I don't think the league is moving to 14

Reaction Score
Temple has come a long way from when they were kicked out but I would rather see a school like ECU get a shot, not to mention that they want to be here with all their being.

Random thoughts;
  • I don't like the idea of moving both Cinncinnati and Louisville to the west
  • it would have to be or BYU (although selfishly Iwould want both)
  • adding both would put the west at 6 teams and with addition of Navy that would put the league at 13
  • I don't think the league is moving to 14

I think you should get used to the idea of UL and UC being in the west.
Temple is not only football worthy, the league desperately needs a basketball upgrade.

Temple can replace Pitt in basketball. Perhaps even football, as well.

Reaction Score
BYU is the prize of the two, but akin to the demanding, high maintenence dream girl. AFA adds to prestige & stability for the conference. If both decline, what about going after Colorado State? Public university, longtime adversary of San Diego State, rounds out the Western division. (problem-no direct flights to Fort Collins)

Reaction Score
BYU is the prize of the two, but akin to the demanding, high maintenence dream girl. AFA adds to prestige & stability for the conference. If both decline, what about going after Colorado State? Public university, longtime adversary of San Diego State, rounds out the Western division. (problem-no direct flights to Fort Collins)

Colorado State would be a solid football only addition. Fort Collins is just 60 miles from Denver.

I think Colorado State is squarely behind BYU, AFA and Temple, as far as potential additions, in my opinion, but they are certainly discussion worthy. The Denver DMA is a big one (not Philly big, however).

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I like the addition of Navy. I would like the addition of BYU or AFA. Temple is pretty average and in my mind would clearly only be added for the sake of getting to 12 and having a championship game.

Reaction Score
But does anyone care about Colorado St in Denver? Because as we've seen with Temple and what we see today with BCU.......big markets are worthless if nobody cares. If market size was the most important factor Rutty would be in the B1G by now. Instead, they opted for the booming metropolis of Lincoln, NE.

Reaction Score
They care about Tebow in Denver more than anything else.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I know it probably won't happen, but I wish we would just go ahead and make it an all-sport conference (with some schools not playing in certain sports that they do not offer). Having teams playing in the Big East for some sports and the Big West/WCC/etc in other sports is not a great long term answer. I know it isn't perfect, but if I was making the decisions, I would try to get to a 14 team football conference and 24 team basketball conference. Here is my ideal lineup:

FOOTBALL

EAST
UCONN
RUTGERS
USF
UCF
NAVY
LOUISVILLE
CINCINNATI

WEST
SAN DIEGO ST
BOISE ST
HOUSTON
SMU
AIR FORCE
BYU
NEVADA

Nine game conference schedule playing everyone in your division once, and a rotating 3 games against the other division. Championship game at highest ranked team's home field (with the expansive georgraphy, I just don't believe a neutral site championship game is realistic).

BASKETBALL

NORTH
UCONN
RUTGERS
PROVIDENCE
SETON HALL
ST JOHNS
VILLANOVA
GEORGETOWN
NAVY

CENTRAL
NOTRE DAME
MARQUETTE
DEPAUL
CINCINNATI
LOUISVILLE
USF
UCF
XAVIER

WEST
SAN DIEGO ST
BOISE ST
NEVADA
BYU
AIR FORCE
HOUSTON
SMU
GONZAGA

Twenty game conference schedule. True home-and-home series with your division, and then rotating six games against other divisions. For the conference championship there would be two options:

Option 1: Above divisions are truly just for scheduling, as the postseason tournament does not use divisions. You would have seeds 9-24 play one game at the higher ranked teams home floor (#24 at #9, #23 at #10, #22 at #11, etc). The winner advances to the post season tournament where there is a true 16 team single elimination tournament. Or you could do the same format and include those 9-24 first games as the championship venue (so that no one "doesn't make the conference tournament").

Option 2: Keep the divisional format for postseason matchups (and limits potential travel nightmares with above scenario if San Diego St was #24 and Providence was #9). The top 2 teams in each division get automatic (byes) places into the championship round. Teams #3 through #8 in each division have to play a play-in gme to get to the championship round at the higher ranked teams home floor (#8 at #3, #7 at #4, #6 at #5). The winners advance to the championship round with a 15 team single elimination tournament (the highest ranked division winner gets a bye in the first round). I kind of like this option over #2 because it promotes the rivalries within division and creates a lot of drama.

This would create a national league with a true east and west division for all sports. The power across divisions for both sports is pretty evenly matched. It would be a powerhouse basketball league and a BCS level football league. This would be a very attractive league for TV with all of the name schools and large TV markets.

And with all that being said.....I would still hope that before it came to fruition, that UConn would end up in the B1G or ACC first.:)

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
UConnSportsGuy....that's not a bad plan.

Which is why it will never happen. Instead, the Big East brain trust will add NETTTS (New England Tractor Trailor Training School) and DeVry.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Which is why it will never happen. Instead, the Big East brain trust will add NETTTS (New England Tractor Trailor Training School) and DeVry.:rolleyes:
E-mail officials and see what happens.

Reaction Score
I know it probably won't happen, but I wish we would just go ahead and make it an all-sport conference (with some schools not playing in certain sports that they do not offer). Having teams playing in the Big East for some sports and the Big West/WCC/etc in other sports is not a great long term answer. I know it isn't perfect, but if I was making the decisions, I would try to get to a 14 team football conference and 24 team basketball conference. Here is my ideal lineup:

FOOTBALL

EAST
UCONN
RUTGERS
USF
UCF
NAVY
LOUISVILLE
CINCINNATI

WEST
SAN DIEGO ST
BOISE ST
HOUSTON
SMU
AIR FORCE
BYU
NEVADA

Nine game conference schedule playing everyone in your division once, and a rotating 3 games against the other division. Championship game at highest ranked team's home field (with the expansive georgraphy, I just don't believe a neutral site championship game is realistic).

BASKETBALL

NORTH
UCONN
RUTGERS
PROVIDENCE
SETON HALL
ST JOHNS
VILLANOVA
GEORGETOWN
NAVY

CENTRAL
NOTRE DAME
MARQUETTE
DEPAUL
CINCINNATI
LOUISVILLE
USF
UCF
XAVIER

WEST
SAN DIEGO ST
BOISE ST
NEVADA
BYU
AIR FORCE
HOUSTON
SMU
GONZAGA

Twenty game conference schedule. True home-and-home series with your division, and then rotating six games against other divisions. For the conference championship there would be two options:

Option 1: Above divisions are truly just for scheduling, as the postseason tournament does not use divisions. You would have seeds 9-24 play one game at the higher ranked teams home floor (#24 at #9, #23 at #10, #22 at #11, etc). The winner advances to the post season tournament where there is a true 16 team single elimination tournament. Or you could do the same format and include those 9-24 first games as the championship venue (so that no one "doesn't make the conference tournament").

Option 2: Keep the divisional format for postseason matchups (and limits potential travel nightmares with above scenario if San Diego St was #24 and Providence was #9). The top 2 teams in each division get automatic (byes) places into the championship round. Teams #3 through #8 in each division have to play a play-in gme to get to the championship round at the higher ranked teams home floor (#8 at #3, #7 at #4, #6 at #5). The winners advance to the championship round with a 15 team single elimination tournament (the highest ranked division winner gets a bye in the first round). I kind of like this option over #2 because it promotes the rivalries within division and creates a lot of drama.

This would create a national league with a true east and west division for all sports. The power across divisions for both sports is pretty evenly matched. It would be a powerhouse basketball league and a BCS level football league. This would be a very attractive league for TV with all of the name schools and large TV markets.

And with all that being said.....I would still hope that before it came to fruition, that UConn would end up in the B1G or ACC first.:)

all sports covered, I like the West additions, send it in to Providence before we let those meatballs muck it up!

Reaction Score
LOL! Isn't Phoenix available? And despite its name I think its computer is located in Massachusetts somewhere. It might just have as much of the Boston Market as BC...

Reaction Score
I believe Navy and Air Force would have to be in the same division. Aren't all the military academy school supposed to play each other every year?

Reaction Score
I believe Navy and Air Force would have to be in the same division. Aren't all the military academy school supposed to play each other every year?

You could easily guarantee the yearly crossover game, that's a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom