NAU Lumberjacks Game Preview Video | The Boneyard

NAU Lumberjacks Game Preview Video

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hey everyone , I know we have a few posters on here who do a great job getting everyone set with game previews (shoutout @Hey Adrien! and @gwhuskyfan !) but I figured I'd share this with you all as well.

I took a look at the NAU match-up, with a data assist from my friends at Shot Quality.

VIDEO:

A few highlights I discuss...

1) There is a lot of production to replace, as 3 of the top 4 scorers from last season (54% of total points) have moved on.
2) Their team is undersized. Starting center Carson Towt, listed at 6'8", is their leading returning scorer and relies on operating near the hoop for his offensive effectiveness. Point guard Oakland Fort had a great Big Sky tournament last season and is a good 3 point shooter who will need a ton of space to get his shot off as he is listed as 5'10" going against Castle/Newton at 6'6".
3) Trent McLaughlin is my X-factor for NAU tonight. He only averaged 5 points per game last season but should step into a lead scoring role at the wing spot. He profiles well at shooting the 3 and getting to the rim.
4) How many minutes will freshman Tichyque Musaka get at center? Listed at 6'11" he was a great get for the Lumberjacks as a 3-star recruit with offers from Georgetown, Kansas, Illinois and LSU. HC Shane Bucar has touted his rim protecting abilities, so they may need him in there tonight for size, but what does that do for shooting if they slide Carson Towt to the 4?

Thanks as always for watching!

Reaction Score
Great video.

You can see the efficiency drop of McLaughlin when he's guarded. and he'll need to be stuck with, but defending and running guys off the 3 pt line is a core tenet of our defensive so should be okay. It'll be interesting if we stick the slightly shorter Spencer on Fort, or have him guard one of the 6'5" guys. I'm not sure if Spencer is quicker than Newton, but that'll be important for defending Fort. I could see the staff "hiding" Castle on Lloyd in his first game.

Karaban should definitely force Towt to his left.

The one name I didn't see you mention for NAU is Carson Basham, the rising junior Pepperdine transfer, who their coach said on the CT Scoreboard pod will likely start at center. From his stats, he seems pretty decent. Good rebounder, good interior finisher. He split time with a fringe NBA prospect (Javon Porter) at Pepperdine last season and transferred to get a more defined starting role.

Reaction Score
I just wanna know if we will cover
Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Great video.

You can see the efficiency drop of McLaughlin when he's guarded. and he'll need to be stuck with, but defending and running guys off the 3 pt line is a core tenet of our defensive so should be okay. It'll be interesting if we stick the slightly shorter Spencer on Fort, or have him guard one of the 6'5" guys. I'm not sure if Spencer is quicker than Newton, but that'll be important for defending Fort. I could see the staff "hiding" Castle on Lloyd in his first game.

Karaban should definitely force Towt to his left.

The one name I didn't see you mention for NAU is Carson Basham, the rising junior Pepperdine transfer, who their coach said on the CT Scoreboard pod will likely start at center. From his stats, he seems pretty decent. Good rebounder, good interior finisher. He split time with a fringe NBA prospect (Javon Porter) at Pepperdine last season and transferred to get a more defined starting role.
Appreciate that. And great points.

I know at the beginning of last year Hurley was not happy with where our defense was to start the season. I don't think I've heard him make similar comments so far this year (although he has hinted at mental lapses in practice with Castle, which is expected of a freshman). This should be a nice tune up game for our D to feel good about the work they put in this summer, given our size and athleticism advantage 1-5.

I think their front court could cause them problems as neither Towt nor Basham can really step out and stretch the floor (or at least haven't shown it so far) and it doesn't seem like their incoming freshman is known for offense at this point, either. They will have to figure out how to balance their offensive needs and defensive needs...

Basham is elite in the pick & roll as the roll-man (98th percentile) and finishing at the rim (95th percentile) expected Shot Quality PPP.

Reaction Score
Basham is elite in the pick & roll as the roll-man (98th percentile) and finishing at the rim (95th percentile) expected Shot Quality PPP.
Mr. Basham, meet Mr. Clingan, the 100th percentile defender in the paint in college basketball last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom