Natural Grass | The Boneyard

Natural Grass

Reaction Score
In a world of over painted multipurpose recycled-auto-tire football fields, I am glad the Rent keeps natural grass.
it's a beautiful surface, no one else uses it so the lines are clean, and so I hope we never lose it, even in a future on-campus scenario.

I'm bringing this up because I keep reading about how Buffalo hasn't played on grass in like 5 years or something?
is grass really that rare now? I'm too lazy to start googling this, but I would love to hear some thoughts on grass. I think it's the best, surprised a lot of these schools, even mac schools, aren't keeping their grass.

Last edited:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
In a world of over painted multipurpose recycled-auto-tire football fields, I am glad the Rent keeps natural grass.
it's a beautiful surface, no one else uses it so the lines are clean, and so I hope we never lose it, even in a future on-campus scenario.

I'm bring this up because I keep reading about how Buffalo hasn't played on grass in like 5 years or something?
is grass really that rare now? I'm too lazy to start googling this, but I would love to hear some thoughts on grass. I think it's the best, surprised a lot of these schools, even mac schools, aren't keeping their grass.
I thought about starting a thread myself on the PAWSARF natural grass field but thought it probably wouldn't generate much discussion, except maybe with CAHNR ('77) undergrads like me. In this day and age of synthetic field turf, I love seeing how beautiful the field looks on game day, and especially how amazing it still looks after a game. I tried searching on line for how the field was constructed but all I've found so far is it's seeded in some variety of bluegrass. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up over the remaining 5 games of the home stand. Hopefully, really well.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
UConn has a turf science department within the Ag School. I wonder if they are involved in managing the field at the Rent?

Reaction Score

I'm bringing this up because I keep reading about how Buffalo hasn't played on grass in like 5 years or something?

Buffalo plays in the MAC. Grass fields are more common in the south. The weather in the north doesn't do grass anymore favors.

Reaction Score
I can say feom being down on the field including during the Merrimack game this year that turf is amazing. I asked the rep who I was with and said dude in charge is famatical about it. It shows.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
UConn has a turf science department within the Ag School. I wonder if they are involved in managing the field at the Rent?
Very familiar with the dept although it was almost 50 yeas ago! Professor Allison was the chair at that time but memories of his turf grass classes have faded a bit.

Reaction Score

All of the MAC schools have turf fields. In the Northeast among FBS schools, Penn St., Pitt, and UConn play on grass fields.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
It’s a private company that manages the field, I can’t remember the guys name but he’s on twitter and post stuff all the time about maintaining it. Interestingly enough there is only a top dressing of soil and then it’s like 10in of sand below it. Helps the grass establish deep roots (hearty durable surface) and with drainage when it rains.

Reaction Score
People say "turf" and I think grass and I hate that "turf" has come to mean artificial turf. Kids play soccer on both grass and artificial turf. It's sad, I think the artificial stuff causes more injuries and is worse for the knees.

I think The Rent uses a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensemilia. Better known as Carl Spackler Bent.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Very familiar with the dept although it was almost 50 yeas ago! Professor Allison was the chair at that time but memories of his turf grass classes have faded a bit.
I can't believe it's almost been 22 years for me but I had a good friend who was in the Turf management program. Went on to work on multiple golf courses before changing careers. So about 20 years ago the program was still a decent option.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
conditions of a natural field can not be duplicated with artificial turf whether in northern climates or southern. changing conditions effect the playing surface which effects the game. Personally I like the old school natural conditions & dislike domed stadiums for the same reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom