OT: - National Pizza Day | The Boneyard

OT: National Pizza Day

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
In honor of @triaddukefan and every other lover of haute cuisine, there are news reports that today is
National Pizza Day, as if a named day were needed to stimulate our pizza lust.:)

So
, naturally, somebody published an article about pizza absurdities. E.g.,
"Pizza has been a tool of military intelligence
In the late '60s, the US Army's 113th Military Intelligence unit used the tastiest trick in their book -- fake pizza deliveries -- to spy on reporters and politicians, according to The New Yorker."

source:Here are some absurd facts about pizza on National Pizza Day

This presents yet another special opportunity, not endorsed by Publishers' Clearing House, to share pizza preferences, anecdotes, remedies, reminiscences...

Winning entries will avoid the power outage that afflicted coastal Maine Friday night. It's nice to have heat, running water, and The Boneyard restored.

I'll start. When- sometime in the early 1990s. Where-Puerto Presidente Stroessner, Paraguay.
One of my sons and I were visiting the Iguaçú Falls, which make Niagra seem like a drippy faucet.
In addition to the spectacular waterfalls, we enjoyed feeding the coatimundis, local versions of a racoon,
and trying our useless best to communicate in Guaraní, the native language. We gave up, and switched to Spanish and Portuguese, respectively, for our wanderings in Paraguay, Argentina, and the Brazilian sides of the falls. We saw a weird (in Geno speak, "Really, really weird!") pickup truck made from a VW bug and a flatbed trailer. It advertised a local pizzería and made outlandish claims about 'World's best'.
We found the place and ordered the speciality of the house: Thin crust, tomato sauce, thin fresh tomato slices, a little cheese, pepproni, sliced hearts of palm. Tasty, accompanied by iced mate, the national drink in that part of the world..

image.jpeg Coatimundi

Reaction Score
Sifaka: Interesting. Thank you. Do know of the Coatimundi. Speaking of:

We've had the good fortune for the past couple weeks to have been adopted by a possum. Like a new best friend, as he is known for eating HUGE amounts of ticks, which matters in CT. It's about as good as getting Jamelle back on the coaching staff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They would have National Pizza Day on a day where most of my favorite pizza places are closed. I made the mistake of getting some chain pizza friday night.. had a coupon for it.... so the price wasn't bad..... but it was mediocre at best.

At the risk of getting shamed off of the BY.... I'll admit one of my old favorites was Totino's.... the Supreme version. Nothing like warming up the oven for 5 minutes at 425-450 degrees and setting in the oven for 10 minutes.... either putting it on some aluminum foil... or for a crispy crust... directly on the oven racks. Best eaten between 2am and 3:30am.

totinos.jpeg

Reaction Score
DOOKIE: is that timing due to the aftereffects?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
DOOKIE: is that timing due to the aftereffects?

More due to old habit of grocery shopping at 2am while hungry.... and seeing those Totinos pizzas on sale for $1.... I miss those days :oops:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, in honor of the South Carolina game tomorrow, I'll be making a bastardization of pizza. In searching SC recipes, I happened upon cornbread pizza. It's pizza with a cornbread crust. I will post about it in the game-night supper thread.

Reaction Score
I have a romantic pizza story that goes back to 1971 in New Haven. My girlfriend was visiting and I decided to splurge and go to one of the local pizza joints. I’m not sure if she didn’t like the pizza or if it was something I said but all of sudden there was a slice of pizza on my head and she was out the door. I figured that was the end of this romance. Well, all these years later we still enjoy the fine New Haven pizza but sometimes I play it safe and remember to wear a hat.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have a romantic pizza story that goes back to 1971 in New Haven. My girlfriend was visiting and I decided to splurge and go to one of the local pizza joints. I’m not sure if she didn’t like the pizza or if it was something I said but all of sudden there was a slice of pizza on my head and she was out the door. I figured that was the end of this romance. Well, all these years later we still enjoy the fine New Haven pizza but sometimes I play it safe and remember to wear a hat.

I gotta ask.... did you eat the slice of pizza after you removed it from your head? Pizza is a terrible thing to waste.

Reaction Score
Back in the '95, my husband and I bet whether Ray Allen would leave early to go to the NBA. I thought he might stay. Hubs says if you lose, you have to make pizza for every UConn women's game. Well...anyone want to guess how many pizzas we've consumed?
We also have a good juju/bad juju pizza topping thing. Good: White Clam&Bacon, Broccoli Rabe&Garlic Sausage, Pepperoni&Mushroom, Pepper&Onion. If any of the players go down with a season ending injury, I don't use that specific topping again until they've graduated.
DSCN0206.JPG

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford is on the move again. Sorry I missed National Pizza Day, but I just had a personal sized “Lou“ at Lou Malnati’s in Chicago. Deee-licious!

I hope to see a game at Marquette on Sunday at the Al McGuire Center.

Good trip: Eating “The Lou” and spectating at “The Al.” :D

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, in honor of the South Carolina game tomorrow, I'll be making a bastardization of pizza. In searching SC recipes, I happened upon cornbread pizza. It's pizza with a cornbread crust. I will post about it in the game-night supper thread.

This wasn’t popular. The crust was really crumbly, and even pre-baked in a 450 oven, didn’t crisp up. It wasn’t bad, but I’ll stick to polenta when we want corn-based Italian.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wasnt gonna have pizza again this week...... but this thread keeps pulling me back in Head bang

Reaction Score
They would have National Pizza Day on a day where most of my favorite pizza places are closed. I made the mistake of getting some chain pizza friday night.. had a coupon for it.... so the price wasn't bad..... but it was mediocre at best.

At the risk of getting shamed off of the BY.... I'll admit one of my old favorites was Totino's.... the Supreme version. Nothing like warming up the oven for 5 minutes at 425-450 degrees and setting in the oven for 10 minutes.... either putting it on some aluminum foil... or for a crispy crust... directly on the oven racks. Best eaten between 2am and 3:30am.

View attachment 50764
Mine was Tree Tavern frozen pizza! I went to Catholic School with no cafeteria. Everybody had to brown bag it. Mémère arranged for my sister and I to go to her house everyday for lunch! She sat with the nuns 7 days a week for church! We ate real well there. Friday was always pizza day! Then the owners sold out 26 years later and changed the crust to the crust with holes on the bottom. Now its Freshetta 5 cheese square pizza!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom