OT: National Burger Day | The Boneyard

OT: National Burger Day

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Only in America. There is National Cheeseburger Day which is in September and National Burger Day which is on Memorial Day. Go figure.

Traditional kickoff of summer.

Breaking down the burger in to sections: Meat, cheese, toppings, bun. And then we can talk cooking method. Get any of them wrong and you kill the overall result.

Meat: Simply picking up some 80%-85% lean from the supermarket is a safe way to make sure you get enough juice (fat) without having a hockey puck. For those who like to mix it up I've heard plenty of recipes with chuck, sirloin, brisket and a few other cuts. Key to me is to keep enough fat from drying out the burger. I will not ever mix bread crumbs, eggs or any fillers in to the meat. Then it becomes meatloaf patties.

Seasoning: I keep it simple with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Just enough to enhance the meat. Montreal seasoning works well if you don't want to worry about ratios.

Cheeses: Anything that is gooey without be too stringy. Classic American cheese works great; also a fan of havarti, provolone, and muenster. Not as much of a fan of mozzarella or cheddar. I love blue cheese but you have to get it right with quantity and temp. You don't want crumbles falling all over the place. Method of working the blue cheese in to the meat mixture works well. I prefer the style of putting it on the burger the last 30-45 seconds to start the melt. Not a fan of putting it on cold after they're off the grill; not a fan of having the cheese completely melted all over burger. I'm fine with the stick some cheese between the two patties while cooking.

Veggies: I'm a fan of lettuce, tomato, pickles and avocado (not guac or avocado spread, real avocado). I'll put out some white and red onion but that's not my style. I prefer the kosher style pickles over sweet or bread and butter style. I can have them as the long, flat spear style or chip style. Just don't want them too thick. Same with tomatoes. Obviously fresh local grown are way better than store bought tomatoes which are basically tasteless. Nice single slice but not too thick.

Condiments: Ketchup, mustard, mayo other spreads. I'm basic with ketchup and yellow mustard. I'll consider some of the brown mustards but they can over power very quickly if you put on too much. Never understood mayo for anything (and this include miracle whip) so that's a non-starter. All sorts of other spreads out there from thousand island, avocado spreads, etc. Not a big fan of them.

Other toppings: Bacon and eggs. Bacon, you can cook it a bunch of ways to your liking for breakfast; for a burger it has to be crispy. No way a person should be pulling on their burger because the bacon is undercooked. A nice fried egg can add some richness to a burger. Never do that option when cooking for a group, but for a family night or at a restaurant I'll entertain it.

Buns: I'm ambivalent so long as the bun isn't way bigger than the burger. Usually too big either in circumference or in height ratio. I'll do traditional buns, kaiser buns or potato buns. Kaisers generally hold up well. I don't mind them dusted, I can handle some amount of sesame seed. Not a fan of poppy seed, onion seed, or having cheeses baked in to the bread topping. Less is more with the bun. If you ever have a burger where the bun was the star, you had a dud.

Grilling: We'll have several threads during the summer over cooking methods, grill types and everything else. For the purposes of burgers I'll go two ways. Cooking for myself or just the family? Cast iron skillet on the range. Can't beat the sear and the nice crusty coat you get from the skillet. All standard rules apply, make sure the skillet is seasoned and make sure it's hot before the meat hits the iron. Larger parties, you need a grill and I'll leave that debate. Biggest thing is to know your grill, know your hot/cold spots and don't overwork the meat. Start on one side, one flip and move to a cooler location for the final cooking and cheese melting. When you have a bunch of burgers going you have to stay at the grill. This isn't the time to start swapping stories with buddies. An unattended grill loaded with burgers quickly can get out of hand. Yes, a spray bottle is a handle tool. When cooking at home, I'll cook to medium rare and let it set to finish somewhere between medium rare and medium. The 2-5 minutes rest time, like for any meat, is crucial. Personal preference for how long you let it rest.

So for me? Meat seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked to medium rare to medium. About 6 oz post-cook weight. Put it on a kaiser bun with some melted cheese. Lettuce, tomato, pickle, avocado, ketchup, mustard and I'm a happy burger eater.

Reaction Score
Only in America. There is National Cheeseburger Day which is in September and National Burger Day which is on Memorial Day. Go figure.

Traditional kickoff of summer.

Breaking down the burger in to sections: Meat, cheese, toppings, bun. And then we can talk cooking method. Get any of them wrong and you kill the overall result.

Meat: Simply picking up some 80%-85% lean from the supermarket is a safe way to make sure you get enough juice (fat) without having a hockey puck. For those who like to mix it up I've heard plenty of recipes with chuck, sirloin, brisket and a few other cuts. Key to me is to keep enough fat from drying out the burger. I will not ever mix bread crumbs, eggs or any fillers in to the meat. Then it becomes meatloaf patties.

Seasoning: I keep it simple with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Just enough to enhance the meat. Montreal seasoning works well if you don't want to worry about ratios.

Cheeses: Anything that is gooey without be too stringy. Classic American cheese works great; also a fan of havarti, provolone, and muenster. Not as much of a fan of mozzarella or cheddar. I love blue cheese but you have to get it right with quantity and temp. You don't want crumbles falling all over the place. Method of working the blue cheese in to the meat mixture works well. I prefer the style of putting it on the burger the last 30-45 seconds to start the melt. Not a fan of putting it on cold after they're off the grill; not a fan of having the cheese completely melted all over burger. I'm fine with the stick some cheese between the two patties while cooking.

Veggies: I'm a fan of lettuce, tomato, pickles and avocado (not guac or avocado spread, real avocado). I'll put out some white and red onion but that's not my style. I prefer the kosher style pickles over sweet or bread and butter style. I can have them as the long, flat spear style or chip style. Just don't want them too thick. Same with tomatoes. Obviously fresh local grown are way better than store bought tomatoes which are basically tasteless. Nice single slice but not too thick.

Condiments: Ketchup, mustard, mayo other spreads. I'm basic with ketchup and yellow mustard. I'll consider some of the brown mustards but they can over power very quickly if you put on too much. Never understood mayo for anything (and this include miracle whip) so that's a non-starter. All sorts of other spreads out there from thousand island, avocado spreads, etc. Not a big fan of them.

Other toppings: Bacon and eggs. Bacon, you can cook it a bunch of ways to your liking for breakfast; for a burger it has to be crispy. No way a person should be pulling on their burger because the bacon is undercooked. A nice fried egg can add some richness to a burger. Never do that option when cooking for a group, but for a family night or at a restaurant I'll entertain it.

Buns: I'm ambivalent so long as the bun isn't way bigger than the burger. Usually too big either in circumference or in height ratio. I'll do traditional buns, kaiser buns or potato buns. Kaisers generally hold up well. I don't mind them dusted, I can handle some amount of sesame seed. Not a fan of poppy seed, onion seed, or having cheeses baked in to the bread topping. Less is more with the bun. If you ever have a burger where the bun was the star, you had a dud.

Grilling: We'll have several threads during the summer over cooking methods, grill types and everything else. For the purposes of burgers I'll go two ways. Cooking for myself or just the family? Cast iron skillet on the range. Can't beat the sear and the nice crusty coat you get from the skillet. All standard rules apply, make sure the skillet is seasoned and make sure it's hot before the meat hits the iron. Larger parties, you need a grill and I'll leave that debate. Biggest thing is to know your grill, know your hot/cold spots and don't overwork the meat. Start on one side, one flip and move to a cooler location for the final cooking and cheese melting. When you have a bunch of burgers going you have to stay at the grill. This isn't the time to start swapping stories with buddies. An unattended grill loaded with burgers quickly can get out of hand. Yes, a spray bottle is a handle tool. When cooking at home, I'll cook to medium rare and let it set to finish somewhere between medium rare and medium. The 2-5 minutes rest time, like for any meat, is crucial. Personal preference for how long you let it rest.

So for me? Meat seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked to medium rare to medium. About 6 oz post-cook weight. Put it on a kaiser bun with some melted cheese. Lettuce, tomato, pickle, avocado, ketchup, mustard and I'm a happy burger eater.
You're up early thinkin 'bout burgers. First thing on your mind this morning?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
too long/wanna eat

85% ground chuck with Montreal seasoning.

Slightly grilled kaiser bun. I spritz'em with spray butta, too. Also, Anzio Bakery make nice packaged buns.

American cheese or swiss.

Shredded lettuce and chopped onion are good. Or sometimes I grill a pineapple slice to top my burger.

I love Koop's Arizona Heat as my go-to condiment.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I like to mix a quarter pound of ground pork into a pound of ground beef. Makes for a very juicy burger.
Cheese -- anything as long as it's either provolone or american. NOT, under any circumstances, Kraft singles. That's not cheese, it's plastic. I see someone unrapping a slice of "cheese" for my burger, I'll have a hot dog instead.
Bacon. Yes thank you. Extra crispy, please.
Fried onions. The more the better.
Sometimes, I'm more in the mood for raw onions, but never the two together.

Reaction Score
Made some killer burgers last night. First time I ever bought the market ground beef from Publix. Apparently it is trimmings from all their high end cuts ground down. Flavor was great and they were juicy. I did read that the consistency can be different as the mixes of meat can change from package to package.

Reaction Score
Only in America.

mmm, I don't think only in America! In Guatemala they had a big burger festival at the city zoo this past weekend (or I think it was two weeks ago). I know in Colombia they like their burgers too and some of the best ones I have had are from there. China had the (donkey) burger which turned out to be a huge hit with a lot of the foreign teachers. I have not been to Texas yet but I think most burger places in the states are....meh, at least in Maine, CT and DC where I have spent a majority of my time.

Reaction Score
If any of you all see an “impossible burger” at a restaurant you go to, you have to try it. Meatless but I’ve fooled several people.

Reaction Score
mix up some soy sauce, Italian salad dressing and beer...and you can put it on anything...burgers, chicken, steak...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
mmm, I don't think only in America! In Guatemala they had a big burger festival at the city zoo this past weekend (or I think it was two weeks ago). I know in Colombia they like their burgers too and some of the best ones I have had are from there. China had the (donkey) burger which turned out to be a huge hit with a lot of the foreign teachers. I have not been to Texas yet but I think most burger places in the states are....meh, at least in Maine, CT and DC where I have spent a majority of my time.

The only in America reference was having one day for hamburgers and another day for cheeseburgers. Couldn't group them in to one day.

Reaction Score
Lately I do one of two burgers. 97% lean beef, seasoned with salt & pepper and filled with cubed sharp cheddar and diced onion. I top it with jalapenos that have been roasted on the grill and a sriacha horseradish remoulade.

If I don't do that, I do Bison meat, just seasoned with salt & pepper, topped with a kansas city style BBQ sauce. If I have bacon I will sometimes chop that up and spread it throughout the Bison meat.

Reaction Score
If any of you all see an “impossible burger” at a restaurant you go to, you have to try it. Meatless but I’ve fooled several people.

Perfectly fine as far as meatless goes - probably one of the best I've had - but I'm surprised anyone would think that was beef.

Reaction Score
I mean to me it isn’t any more questionable than what you get at a BK or McD
there's a place in Ridgefield that's supposed to have it. Maybe I'll give it a try. Is it priced like a normal burger?

If we're going to mention McDonald's, I tried the fresh beef quarter pounder. Definitely an upgrade but still nothing special.

Reaction Score
there's a place in Ridgefield that's supposed to have it. Maybe I'll give it a try. Is it priced like a normal burger?
It’s a few dollars more than a typical burger. This stuff just hit the market and I imagine it’ll be as such for a bit as all they do now is distribute in bulk to restaurants. I can’t speak that much to price, because all I’ve known these past couple years is SD and LA prices which of course are stupid high generally.

To try at least once for a pretty good mind-blowing food experience, worth it IMO. It chars, cooks, even kinda bleeds like the real thing

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have really come to prefer cheddar over American on my Cheeseburgers. I can trace it back to Kathy-Johns.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If we're going to mention McDonald's, I tried the fresh beef quarter pounder. Definitely an upgrade but still nothing special.
Agreed, with kudos for the fully effective ad campaign that did its job and got me to try it.

Reaction Score
Been there. My son is a vegan and we were visiting family in December of 2017.
NOT priced like a normal hamburger. Was something like 12 dollars or 14 dollars are some crazy number. Of course it is Ridgefield, so that probably adds a good amount on.

I really wanted to like it. Make me something that tastes like beef, has the nutritional benefit of tofu, and doesn't require raising a beef animal and i'm all about it.

It was fall-apart mushy and didn't taste like beef.
To be fair, I think the cook was not qualified to cook it, so I'm not blaming the product.
It was palatable, but nothing I'd go out of my way for or pay 12 dollars for.
I think they'll get there at some point. It's ultimately just chemistry.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The meat needs a good solid char, though I like the 85/15 variety. Red onions, half sour pickle slices, lettuce, tomatoes, and grilled mushrooms are all essential. Throw in some bacon avocado slices for good measure, and put it all on a slightly toasted brioche roll lightly coated in butter. Once all of this has been assembled and all ketchup and cheese have been removed from the area, you're ready for the burger from heaven.

Reaction Score
I like to mix a quarter pound of ground pork into a pound of ground beef. Makes for a very juicy burger.
Cheese -- anything as long as it's either provolone or american. NOT, under any circumstances, Kraft singles. That's not cheese, it's plastic. I see someone unrapping a slice of "cheese" for my burger, I'll have a hot dog instead.
Bacon. Yes thank you. Extra crispy, please.
Fried onions. The more the better.
Sometimes, I'm more in the mood for raw onions, but never the two together.

I disagree. I like a plain burger with Montreal seasoning. Kraft American slice with pickles and ketchup on a potato roll. Simple and on the small side. I don’t need a monster half pounder. And kraft American melts nice. Like cheez wiz on a cheesesteak.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I disagree. I like a plain burger with Montreal seasoning. Kraft American slice with pickles and ketchup on a potato roll. Simple and on the small side. I don’t need a monster half pounder. And kraft American melts nice. Like cheez wiz on a cheesesteak.
Lolz you've come a long way in the last couple years.
From denigrating everything I put in my mouth to ground beef with processed cheese stuff.

Excellent. Welcome back.

Reaction Score
Lolz you've come a long way in the last couple years.
From denigrating everything I put in my mouth to ground beef with processed cheese stuff.

Excellent. Welcome back.

Keep in mind, I may eat them twice a summer. Maybe three times. But I go cheap and processed when I do.

Made a delicious cioppino for lunch today.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I like my burgers simple; too many ingredients and the taste of the beef can get hidden. 1/3 lb ground beef, seasoned with chopped onion mixed into the beef. Crispy bacon is great, although sometimes I'm happy with cheddar cheese and mayo to go along with it, and other times just blue cheese crumbles and bacon. Toasted bun is a must.

EDIT: Sometimes I like bacon, grilled onions and cheddar too.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
too long/wanna eat

85% ground chuck with Montreal seasoning.

Slightly grilled kaiser bun. I spritz'em with spray butta, too. Also, Anzio Bakery make nice packaged buns.

American cheese or swiss.

Shredded lettuce and chopped onion are good. Or sometimes I grill a pineapple slice to top my burger.

I love Koop's Arizona Heat as my go-to condiment.

I stopped reading at American cheese

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom