Natasha Howard | The Boneyard

Natasha Howard

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Starting a new thread on this because it seems like it needs its own.

Natasha Howard has a very different version of events.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Whatever the truth is, this sounds like an incredibly unhealthy relationship all the way around. On Howard's end, she claims her girlfriend stabbed her with a knife and sent her to the hospital (in 2016), but then she went ahead and married her the next year (in 2017)? The fact she she put this all in a declaration filed in court means that there will be legal repercussions were it to be determined her claims are untrue, so I take her claims with more than a grain of salt.

On the other hand, her (soon to be)ex-wife's claims about being isolated, manipulated and eventually abused could easily also be true too, especially if she's been spending seasons with her overseas where she knows no one and doesn't even speak the language.

From what I can glean, rather than being she said vs. she said, it almost seems more like she said and she said - some version of both stories are probably true. I just hope they both get help because it sounds like they were both contributing to an incredibly unhealthy relationship. They got married after 9 months, and suddenly her wife is moving overseas with her with no support system and presumably no financial independence (and given the loneliness that WNBA players face playing overseas, even Howard probably had little support outside of her wife). It really sounds like there were no winners in this situation, and no heroes.

---

Relatedly, I don't want to thread hijack, but the league really needs to examine how year-round, team-changing, global lifestyle requirements affect WNBA players. They leave college environments that provide a lot of support, stability, and solid relationships for a bunch of 2-3 month sojourns that barely pay the bills in countries where they don't know anyone and don't speak the language. That is not a recipe for good mental health or establishing adult support systems. Transitioning from college is hard enough for any 22 year old, let alone one who has a media spotlight and ton of responsibilities to entities around the world. That isn't to shirk the players' own responsibility for their actions, but it's clear to see that the lifestyle required to be a professional women's basketball player does not put them in the best position to grow into mature, healthy adults.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="TheFarmFan, post: 3221288, member: Relatedly, I don't want to thread hijack, but the league really needs to examine how year-round, team-changing, global lifestyle requirements affect WNBA players. They leave college environments that provide a lot of support, stability, and solid relationships for a bunch of 2-3 month sojourns that barely pay the bills in countries where they don't know anyone and don't speak the language. That is not a recipe for good mental health or establishing adult support systems. Transitioning from college is hard enough for any 22 year old, let alone one who has a media spotlight and ton of responsibilities to entities around the world. That isn't to shirk the players' own responsibility for their actions, but it's clear to see that the lifestyle required to be a professional women's basketball player does not put them in the best position to grow into mature, healthy adults.
[/QUOTE]
The first half of your perspective I am 100% in agreement with. The battle of abuse by both parties seemed to have started well before they got married so why anyone would think the “leopard could change their spots” is mystifying to me-but
Love makes people do strange things.
Where we part ways is your comment about the WNBA supporting these players overseas on mental health issues. The overseas gigs will pay more Money than the WNBA will. They go overseas to make their money. The WNBA can not make money as it currently stands so to add in this burden is not only logical as the women are free to do what they want once the WNBA season ends, it is also financially unattainable. Not sure you thought this perspective out with all the facts.
Lastly, let’s be clear that NO leagues of women’s basketball anywhere make money. The vast majority of teams are owned by rich people who treated them as a passionate hobby or by a local town as a source of community. And that’s okay.

This issue occurs across all aspect of life unfortunately with a wide disparity on how companies/ entities deal/support it base on their own revenue. Most offer token support at best due to the cost. Sad but true.

Reaction Score
To me the only thing that is clear is that both of them need help. I think if they do not get it they will only repeat the cycle with future partners :(

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The first half of your perspective I am 100% in agreement with. The battle of abuse by both parties seemed to have started well before they got married so why anyone would think the “leopard could change their spots” is mystifying to me-but
Love makes people do strange things.
Where we part ways is your comment about the WNBA supporting these players overseas on mental health issues. The overseas gigs will pay more Money than the WNBA will. They go overseas to make their money. The WNBA can not make money as it currently stands so to add in this burden is not only logical as the women are free to do what they want once the WNBA season ends, it is also financially unattainable. Not sure you thought this perspective out with all the facts.
Lastly, let’s be clear that NO leagues of women’s basketball anywhere make money. The vast majority of teams are owned by rich people who treated them as a passionate hobby or by a local town as a source of community. And that’s okay.

This issue occurs across all aspect of life unfortunately with a wide disparity on how companies/ entities deal/support it base on their own revenue. Most offer token support at best due to the cost. Sad but true.

Speaking of not thinking things through without all the facts, you're aware that the league is about to renegotiate its CBA with the players, right?

And you're aware that benefits is one question that will be front and center, right?

And that one negotiable item could be coverage for behavior and mental health for players (and their spouses/domestic partners) who are signed to league contracts even when they are playing overseas, right?

And that providing the players with information and training about how to use mental health resources could become a standard part of their entry into the league and a right/requirement of the league under the CBA, right?

Yes, I'm aware it won't be free. But if I were the league, I'd shift some expenses in that direction over just about any other additional costs, because if it would help prevent even one Howard or Williams type incident, I'd say the policy would pay for itself.

The situations with Howard, Williams, and Griner/Johnson are (figuratively and perhaps literally) black eyes for the league. That is NOT the way the WNBA wants to make headlines on ESPN. It's a terrible look for the league, and makes it easy to write off the product. If you wonder why few young women follow the WNBA, well, I'm pretty sure recurring and poorly handled domestic abuse against women isn't going to draw them in.

And I suspect the situations with players like Howard, Williams, and Griner/Johnson might not have escalated as they did if they knew, were aware of, and had access to, a therapist or behavioral health professional that they could speak to to help deescalate things. Players have those resources in college, so why not ensure they are aware of, and able to access them, in the pros? It's ridiculous that Howard's wife's only recourse was to try to text with the President & GM of the Storm Alisha Valavanis. Valvanis is not trained or equipped to handle it, it's way outside her purview, and her conflicts of interest are so abundant. And the text exchange did not end with "we have counseling and behavioral health resources for you - contact X to access them." There has to be a better way forward.

ETA: depending on whether the league's benefits management is pooled with the NBA, it might not actually be all that costly to include WNBA players under similar policies/coverage. I looked over the last CBA and don't see any mention of mental and behavioral health, and a simple $75k catch-all "Player Programs Fund" that includes education about substance abuse (on page 91). No mention about domestic violence, maintaining mental health and wellbeing while overseas, etc.

Tl;dr: There's a lot more the league could be doing and it doesn't all have to cost a fortune.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can not protect people from their own stupidity. People constantly get in dysfunctional relationships. This is not just an athlete issue, but one that permeates society. It is part of the " I want when I want it " immediate gratification culture. You meet someone in a club and you immediately want to marry them. Most relationships now days are not built on a long term perspective, but just the immediate. If it were not so people would take more time to be sure a relationship had a chance to last. You can not fix something that is flawed at it's roots.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree with you more. On an individual level the league has a moral and economic responsibility in providing services in this area to members. I think your analysis is dead right on in terms of both the impact of failure to do this on audience as well as the detrimental impact the players in the lead. The Williams case will have significant consequences not only to the player but to the league. Sports illustrated journalist McCann has done a commendable job using the Williams case to make the point you have in your post regarding the impact on the league.

The WNBA is currently where the NFL was on this topic 10 years ago.

Frankly I'm surprised that action wasn't taken years ago. The Griner Johnson fiasco certainly should have provided the impetus for serious attention.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom