Natalie Explained | The Boneyard

Natalie Explained

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nan's link to the Courant article... well, the article does fill in some blanks, though on of those filled blanks is appropriately censored. Turns out she was challenged by not only the hand injury but "continuous" off court issues/challenges in her life. We know food became an issue last year and now we have suggestions of a reason. Well, that is behind her now. Now it seems that things are starting to fall the right way for her and she's feeling good, working hard, and getting results. Many I love that sweet little jumper she has among other things that are making her a solid contributor.

Reaction Score
Nan's link to the Courant article... well, the article does fill in some blanks, though on of those filled blanks is appropriately censored. Turns out she was challenged by not only the handzkidy injury but "continuous" off court issues/challenges in her life. We know food became an issue last year and now we have suggestions of a reason. Well, that is behind her now. Now it seems that things are starting to fall the right way for her and she's feeling good, working hard, and getting results. Many I love that sweet little jumper she has among other things that are making her a solid contributor.

just read the article on Natalie--darn nice kid. She knows her bb weaknesses --her major weakness, is not talent, she has that, it's confidence .Geno said it in the article make an impact--and that does not always mean scoring. I wish Molly would pick up on that-
it is apparent from Natalies most recent play--she will be necessary and needed and used in the NCAA coming up---she'll do us all proud.
go get em Ms Butler---success is your's to have make the most of it..

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Glad you started this thread - I had just read the story and was thinking about doing the same. I really like Natalie's game, as frustrating as she can sometimes be. I have been surprised at how well she has held up when defending in space this year and against shorter quicker players. She is an essential part of the puzzle for this team this year and has been instrumental in winning some important games.

Was sorry to hear of her troubles away from the court the last few years - hopefully they are cleared up and she can continue to thrive. I think some people are a little dismissive of her prospects on the team next year - yes we have two more power players added to the mix, but I think Natalie has established her value and playing credentials this year and will have a good senior year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wish I could read it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Glad you started this thread - I had just read the story and was thinking about doing the same. I really like Natalie's game, as frustrating as she can sometimes be. I have been surprised at how well she has held up when defending in space this year and against shorter quicker players. She is an essential part of the puzzle for this team this year and has been instrumental in winning some important games.

Was sorry to hear of her troubles away from the court the last few years - hopefully they are cleared up and she can continue to thrive. I think some people are a little dismissive of her prospects on the team next year - yes we have two more power players added to the mix, but I think Natalie has established her value and playing credentials this year and will have a good senior year.
Also less and less I see reasons for her to leave and more reasons for her to stay.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I have worked with undergraduate University students all my professional life. Her words below are etched on my psyche...

"It's been very challenging and a lot of adversity has happened, a lot of adversity I never expected," she said. "Personally, outside of basketball. It's been one thing after another. I think it's taught me a lot about how to handle things. And I think it can help me in life. It's amazing how lessons in basketball can sort of teach you how to handle things later on in life."

My best to Nat.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really like Nat. Her progress as a basketball player and person is heartening. Keep in mind that Nat left Georgetown and HC Keith Brown, who was fired for verbally abusing his players. One report indicated that Brown's abuse left players "broken and demoralized." It's wonderful that Nat is now thriving as part of the UConn family.

Reaction Score

At this point of the season--and with her recent playing abilities being shown--she is essential-- and will play more. She is much more effective with 3 or 4 of the core 5 and I suspect more comfortable--it appears the core now respects Nat more and feeds her more in the post. That's huge in making other teams putting coverage on her or not--now they must.

Reaction Score
Nothing.
Just go to the Courant site and article and right click on it and then click on Incognito mode or Private Window, whichever your computer browser uses.

Reaction Score
Uconn reserve center Natalie Butler entered the American Athletic Conference Tournament championship game with 4:08 left in the first half Monday night.

Teammate Katie Lou Samuelson was having a monster game; UConn led by 30. But Butler was happy to enter the game and contribute when she did.

"I'm definitely surprised I'm getting as much minutes as I am in the tournament," Butler said after UConn's 100-44 victory over South Florida at Mohegan Sun Arena. "Because the way the season went, I struggled. I feel very fortunate that Coach [Geno Auriemma] trusted me to put me in the game when he did, as early on as he did. It helps me build confidence."

Butler had a double-double – 10 points to go with her season-high 10 rebounds – as well

as a block and a steal in 21 minutes. She had her previous season high for rebounds (nine) in the win over Tulsa in the quarterfinal and scored a season-high 13 points, her first double-digit scoring game since UConn played Houston on Jan. 28.

Butler, the 6-5 redshirt junior transfer from Georgetown, is playing more and contributing more than last season, when she had a thumb injury that sidelined her into December. She's had to, because of the lack of depth on the roster. She's averaging 16.4 minutes, up from 12 last season, and five rebounds, up from four. Her scoring average has stayed about the same (5.7 points this year, 5.6 last year).

"I think I'm playing a lot better, but I think a lot of that has to do with my teammates," she said. "My teammates have been incredibly supportive. I think around tournament time, the team really comes together. I'm not saying we didn't come together before, because we've definitely been challenged with some big games, but it's just like there's a whole new chemistry and I honestly believe that everyone's able to succeed because of each other.

"I feel that I played good. But there's a lot of things fundamentally I still haven't done correctly — for instance, missing layups. The last layup of this game. Two layups last game. You can always improve something. But I do think I played better in the tournament than I have all season."

Still, Butler said she has struggled the last three years – starting when she sat out a year as a transfer from Georgetown, where she was the Big East freshman of the year.

"It's been very challenging and a lot of adversity has happened, a lot of adversity I never expected," she said. "Personally, outside of basketball. It's been one thing after another. I think it's taught me a lot about how to handle things. And I think it can help me in life. It's amazing how lessons in basketball can sort of teach you how to handle things later on in life."

Butler wouldn't elaborate on the nature of the adversity, just that it was outside of basketball and it has been "continuous."

Auriemma said he was pleased with how Butler played in the conference tournament.

"I thought [Monday], especially when she was in in the third quarter, she really had a solid 4-5 minutes, because she did all the things she's good at and she played really well defensively and clogged up the lane for us and rebounded the ball," he said. "I like when she comes in and has an impact. I think sometimes people think the only way you can have an impact on the game is to score a lot of points. I thought [Monday and Sunday] and the first game, we're starting to see the impact she can have."

Butler said she's been working hard outside of practice to improve her skills.

"I'm glad I'm playing better in the tournament because I think it reflects on how hard I've been working," she said. "I do a lot of work outside of practice. I get in the gym quite a bit. I work on my post moves. I work on finishing. I work on my outside shots.

"It's frustrating when it doesn't go in because I'm working at it. My footwork. Jumping rope. Doing step-ups to increase my vertical. I think my athleticism has been a lot better from where it was two years ago. I'm happy about that. I kept my weight down. I've been eating healthy. So things like that are all positives, which I try to focus on, especially since it's been so challenging."
Nothing.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Uconn reserve center Natalie Butler entered the American Athletic Conference Tournament championship game with 4:08 left in the first half Monday night.

Teammate Katie Lou Samuelson was having a monster game; UConn led by 30. But Butler was happy to enter the game and contribute when she did.

"I'm definitely surprised I'm getting as much minutes as I am in the tournament," Butler said after UConn's 100-44 victory over South Florida at Mohegan Sun Arena. "Because the way the season went, I struggled. I feel very fortunate that Coach [Geno Auriemma] trusted me to put me in the game when he did, as early on as he did. It helps me build confidence."

Butler had a double-double – 10 points to go with her season-high 10 rebounds – as well

as a block and a steal in 21 minutes. She had her previous season high for rebounds (nine) in the win over Tulsa in the quarterfinal and scored a season-high 13 points, her first double-digit scoring game since UConn played Houston on Jan. 28.

Butler, the 6-5 redshirt junior transfer from Georgetown, is playing more and contributing more than last season, when she had a thumb injury that sidelined her into December. She's had to, because of the lack of depth on the roster. She's averaging 16.4 minutes, up from 12 last season, and five rebounds, up from four. Her scoring average has stayed about the same (5.7 points this year, 5.6 last year).

"I think I'm playing a lot better, but I think a lot of that has to do with my teammates," she said. "My teammates have been incredibly supportive. I think around tournament time, the team really comes together. I'm not saying we didn't come together before, because we've definitely been challenged with some big games, but it's just like there's a whole new chemistry and I honestly believe that everyone's able to succeed because of each other.

"I feel that I played good. But there's a lot of things fundamentally I still haven't done correctly — for instance, missing layups. The last layup of this game. Two layups last game. You can always improve something. But I do think I played better in the tournament than I have all season."

Still, Butler said she has struggled the last three years – starting when she sat out a year as a transfer from Georgetown, where she was the Big East freshman of the year.

Butler wouldn't elaborate on the nature of the adversity, just that it was outside of basketball and it has been "continuous."

Auriemma said he was pleased with how Butler played in the conference tournament.

"I thought [Monday], especially when she was in in the third quarter, she really had a solid 4-5 minutes, because she did all the things she's good at and she played really well defensively and clogged up the lane for us and rebounded the ball," he said. "I like when she comes in and has an impact. I think sometimes people think the only way you can have an impact on the game is to score a lot of points. I thought [Monday and Sunday] and the first game, we're starting to see the impact she can have."

Butler said she's been working hard outside of practice to improve her skills.

"I'm glad I'm playing better in the tournament because I think it reflects on how hard I've been working," she said. "I do a lot of work outside of practice. I get in the gym quite a bit. I work on my post moves. I work on finishing. I work on my outside shots.

"It's frustrating when it doesn't go in because I'm working at it. My footwork. Jumping rope. Doing step-ups to increase my vertical. I think my athleticism has been a lot better from where it was two years ago. I'm happy about that. I kept my weight down. I've been eating healthy. So things like that are all positives, which I try to focus on, especially since it's been so challenging."
Thanks.

Reaction Score
didn't know Natalie had to be explained , but laugh at some of the same people trying to be nice when they constantly beat her up for her limitations in other posts

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have no idea what Nat is dealing with, but I wish her best.

I have to commend her for being as fit as she is--much better than the prior 2 years--and the extra work on her vertical, post moves, and shooting. She's an important player against teams like Baylor and South Carolina. She seems to be very much part of the group.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom