Natalie Butler: "I'm starting to get a little pissed off..." | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler: "I'm starting to get a little pissed off..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Women's Insider: Natalie Butler Taking High Expectations For Season Head On
upload_2016-11-9_15-41-52.png

Butler is a 6-5 redshirt junior who transferred from Georgetown two years ago and debuted with the Huskies a year ago after sitting out one season, per NCAA rules. Her first season playing at UConn was something of an enigma, as she endured a thumb injury in preseason and she never found her groove.

But on a team with Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck entrenched up front, Butler didn't have to contribute much. This season, UConn has two post players — untested freshmen Kyla Irwin and Butler.

Talk about a different level of expectations. Butler is embracing it, acknowledging that this team's success may hinge on her development.

"I think my team needs me to play well and I need to play well," Butler said. "I love my sport so much. It's really been tough the last two years. I think I really just need to play well. And I think they need me to play well. It's got to come [from] within and there's got to be hunger.

"I'm starting to get a little pissed off. I really do want to play well. So I'm excited for the season. I know it's going to be a progression."

[MORE]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn Women's Insider: Natalie Butler Taking High Expectations For Season Head On
View attachment 16746

Butler is a 6-5 redshirt junior who transferred from Georgetown two years ago and debuted with the Huskies a year ago after sitting out one season, per NCAA rules. Her first season playing at UConn was something of an enigma, as she endured a thumb injury in preseason and she never found her groove.

But on a team with Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck entrenched up front, Butler didn't have to contribute much. This season, UConn has two post players — untested freshmen Kyla Irwin and Butler.

Talk about a different level of expectations. Butler is embracing it, acknowledging that this team's success may hinge on her development.

"I think my team needs me to play well and I need to play well," Butler said. "I love my sport so much. It's really been tough the last two years. I think I really just need to play well. And I think they need me to play well. It's got to come [from] within and there's got to be hunger.

"I'm starting to get a little pissed off. I really do want to play well. So I'm excited for the season. I know it's going to be a progression."

[MORE]

That's the best news I've heard since we got the two transfers. I like players that have a little "fire" in their belly, and a chip on their shoulder. Some players play better mad/angry. I hope Natalie is one of them. The proficiency of Natalie's play will have a huge impact on the Husky's season. If she plays large, and emulates a "beast" in the paint on both ends of the court, UConn will be extremely formidable.

There's no reason Natalie can't be successful. She has all of the tools. I'm pulling for Butler BIG time this season, and there's lots of room on this band wagon. I'm hoping she has a "coming out" year in 206-2017. I'd really like to see her play earn conference and NCAA recognition at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Hoping the best for Natalie as I think she'll play a pivotal role against some opponents this year, just to take up some real estate in the lane if nothing else. Based on what I've seen so far this year she hasn't progressed in the areas I thought she needed the most work and that's quicker feet and hand-eye coordination. She has the shooting touch and is good around the basket but improvement in these two areas (tough for bigger kids, I know) would really increase her playing time and provide that extra element that the team will need against more formidable opponents.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Hoping the best for Natalie as I think she'll play a pivotal role against some opponents this year, just to take up some real estate in the lane if nothing else. Based on what I've seen so far this year she hasn't progressed in the areas I thought she needed the most work and that's quicker feet and hand-eye coordination. She has the shooting touch and is good around the basket but improvement in these two areas (tough for bigger kids, I know) would really increase her playing time and provide that extra element that the team will need against more formidable opponents.
To expand on this post. She needs to rebound at both ends, set high post screens, pass off the high post, stay out of foul trouble and be effective on the back part of the press. Doesn't have to score or even be a main option. Any scoring she does is a plus. The best thing she can do is to allow the others to play their appropriate spots. Who guards the post if she isn't in? Do they zone more than normal. Is Irwin the answer? Like her play but can she hang yet with Baylor bigs or South Carolina? I guess Collier by default. Really like Collier running the floor though.

It is why Geno gets the big money. These questions weren't answered the first two games Bring on FSU.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If Butler reaches her potential this season then next season's team will be equivalent to a "Dream Team", imo. Her playing well this season will, imo, make Uconn an elite team.

Reaction Score
If Butler reaches her potential this season then next season's team will be equivalent to a "Dream Team", imo. Her playing well this season will, imo, make Uconn an elite team.
Does this mean that you are the first on record to declare that Nat will be staying for her fourth year of eligibility and not leaving after after this academic year? :confused: :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm starting to get a little pissed off.

Read the BY Natalie and get a lot pissed off - a lot pissed off Natalie is what I dream about.

I've expressed myself a few times on the BY about the cultural cconditioning of "big girls" that essentially trains them to be passive. So, whenever I hear a young women who is 6'5" say I'm getting pissed all I can think of is:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Does this mean that you are the first on record to declare that Nat will be staying for her fourth year of eligibility and not leaving after after this academic year? :confused: :rolleyes:
I believe she will return unless her season is so fantastic she is told she is ready for the WNBA. But only one AFTER this academic year.

Reaction Score
Getting quicker feet is hard, but she's trying. Being big and pissed off is probably what Geno really wants. Good for her.

Reaction Score
If NB gets that sweet little 10-12ft 'J' going on a regular basis, it could serve to open the lane some for the guards, as a big will have to come out and check her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If NB gets that sweet little 10-12ft 'J' going on a regular basis, it could serve to open the lane some for the guards, as a big will have to come out and check her.
Exactly. Natalie has two jobs. 1) Be a threat on offense 8-10 feet away from the basket shoot & pass accurately. 2) On defense play big & stay out of foul trouble.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

She has had great consistency in that shot; just rare opportunities to date to demonstrate it.

Reaction Score
Getting quicker feet is hard, but she's trying. Being big and pissed off is probably what Geno really wants. Good for her.
Worked with many an AAU kid who got tall/big before their time and did drills, over and over that were successful than not. Countless hours jumping rope, weaving in and out of cones, even something as simple as jumping jacks on a timer helps move the dial. It takes little money and equipment but requires dedication. I hope being pissed off works but that will only take a kid so far and the rest comes down to skills and execution.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I like that high release point on her shot. Fun to watch.

On a different note, I wonder what CD thinks of that language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom