NASL is dead | The Boneyard

NASL is dead

Reaction Score
The Cosmos have ceased operations two weeks after winning the title. This is the team that beat NYCFC two years in a row in the US Open Cup. Whoever is left is likely joining the USL, which will have like 40 teams before it is said and done.

US Soccer is a mess right now. PDL and NPSL will effectively be the third tier and there are these other regional leagues like the ASL, everyone is stepping over everyone. PDL was offering NPSL teams cash to switch.

I say the USSF should intervene, implement a system of promotion and relegation in the lower tiers so that we can ensure a quality developmental pyramid.

Reaction Score
Rowdies and Ottawa already jumped ship to USL.

My guess is that Fort Lauderdale and Oklahoma City are done.

San Fran, Carolina, Jacksonville and Indianapolis will go to USL.

Reaction Score
If Citeh can't beat the Cosmos, maybe they can buy some of their better players, On this, I do not jest.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Wait, so a pro sports league in North America with no salary cap and owners spending the way they did in failed leagues from the 70s and 80s, failed? I'm shocked.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Gotta agree that if/when NASL folds it would the time to implement promotion/relegation in the lower tiers. I know that's asking a lot of owners and commissioners of these leagues but give it a shot. There's no way USL can run with 40 teams or whatever outrageous number it is going to be if these NASL teams look for new homes. If anything, make USL into two leagues and do promotion/relegation within those two divisions. However, I'm not sure what incentive there'd be for a team to want to be promoted if you can't get to a higher pay grade by moving up between two similar divisions (if it's just within USL).

Another issue would be that there is a drastic difference, from what I gather, between USL and the smaller leagues like PDL. Aren't the players in the PDL amateurs or folks who have real jobs and just play for the club on the side? USL seems more like a professional league. Are there leagues around the world where you could have promotion/relegation between leagues with different setups such as professional teams vs amateur teams?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom