Napheesa's Ode to Mama Syl | The Boneyard

Napheesa's Ode to Mama Syl

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Where did Pheesa learn to write so well? As I recall, she was never among those who were recognized for making the Honor Roll at UConn.

Anyway, this is really good writing (Alexa or Lila would be proud of it), and it is recognizably her own voice.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Where did Pheesa learn to write so well? As I recall, she was never among those who were recognized for making the Honor Roll at UConn.

Anyway, this is really good writing (Alexa or Lila would be proud of it), and it is recognizably her own voice.
Pleesa is a reader. The father of a friend of mine when I was a kid was a working novelist. I asked him how he learned to write. He said by reading, and reading is worth way more than writing classes.

This piece says an awful lot about both Syl and Pheesa as human beings.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wasn't thrilled with Syl when she was making our bigs look small. That really doesn't seem so far away, but here she is retiring after 15 years, and she still plays at a very high level. I've loved her game for a long time and will really miss her game out there with the Lynx. Have a wonderful second career Syl. Love you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Syl toughened up Tina. She set the bar, and Tina had to work hard to measure up. I believe Tina kept a newspaper clipping of her tough experience against LSU in her locker.

Reaction Score
I love the article and Phee, like Syl, is one of a kind.

I do have a memory of Syl the person from a college game that struck me so much that I still have the image. It's a tough and hard fought game, the one in 2007 (I had to look that up :) because my memory isn't THAT good) where UConn broke the LSU winning streak with a 1 point win. Syl comes out on the losing side. And after what would seem to be a heartbreaking loss, she's there with just the most amazing poise and smile congratulating the winners and talking to the UConn players. She had processed that game and had the maturity and sense of context to move on and show genuine warmth and respect to the winners. That amazed me so much at the time about Syl and her self confidence and the warmth in her heart, and it has stayed with me as a life example about accepting an outcome.

In this case Syl did come out and lead a butt kicking of UConn in the NCAA tourney...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom