Napheesa Collier Will No Longer Play Overseas | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier Will No Longer Play Overseas

Reaction Score
She has a beautiful girl and a wonderful husband at home waiting for her.

1671151930782.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Pheesa is a smart woman.

She has a kid and husband. She didn't get married and have a child to spend half the year away from them.

Alex is successful, and if Pheesa wants to, I'm sure she could join him as a skills coach/trainer and have a decent secondary living.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Obviously, having a child changes greatly the calculus of whether to play overseas.

But when it comes to safety risks, much depends on where exactly one plays. The risk of traveling to Russia, as we've seen, is now rather prohibitive. I wouldn't say the same of the western or central European leagues, for instance.

I'm wondering: Did any U.S. players other than Griner go to Russia this past year?

Reaction Score
I twould be great if Aayanna spent time learning her moves around the basket. Even watching film of her.

Reaction Score
I know it is hard to turn down the kind of money the foreign countries throw out to the American players, who are the best in the world, but if it were me I would only play for countries that are friendly to the United States. There should be many of them. I would not play for any country that was acting against the interests of any American. The backbone of any Nation is it's populace and the pride in being American. Russia, Chins, Turkey and other Autocracy that doesn't have the same Democratic government that we have. My 2 cents. GO HUSKIES!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I twould be great if Aayanna spent time learning her moves around the basket. Even watching film of her.
Another swerve attempt?????

Back to the original post...when I saw this thread, the first thing that came to my mind was it was because of her family. She couldn't have a better "reason".

Reaction Score
It's not like she played overseas frequently anyway. She has to have the largest ratio of rumored signings overseas to actual teams played for of anybody.

Obviously, having a child changes greatly the calculus of whether to play overseas.

But when it comes to safety risks, much depends on where exactly one plays. The risk of traveling to Russia, as we've seen, is now rather prohibitive. I wouldn't say the same of the western or central European leagues, for instance.

I'm wondering: Did any U.S. players other than Griner go to Russia this past year?
You mean this current season starting in September? Alex Bentley had a multi-year contract with Griner's former team and she ended up returning. Other Americans who have played this season are Unique Thompson, Pre Stanley (it did not work out and she already left), Mya Hollingshed, Ashley Beverly Kelly, and the latest is Ezinne Kalu. Canadian Saicha Grant-Allen is also playing there and she had already played with a different Russian team last season. Other players from countries other than Russia and Belarus include Izabela Ramona of Brazil, La Mama Kapinga Maweja of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Eva Lisec and Nika Baric from Slovenia, and Tina Krajisnik, Nevena Jovanovic, and Sanja Mandic of Serbia. Chelsea Hopkins just mentioned on a podcast released this week that she has heard of other players recently signing for around $20,000 a month.

Reaction Score
i figured as much - other than the attempt to play in china before covid broke, she only had 1 season in France i believe... was shocked she isn't doing the athletes unlimited league

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She has a beautiful girl and a wonderful husband at home waiting for her.

View attachment 81949
As those of us with children and grandchildren know, having a child changes your perspective on life. You love them, want to provide for them, and be there for them. If you could ask Napheesa what is the most important thing in her life right now, she would say her child. When one door closes, another one opens.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I support Pheesa’s decision 100%. Aside from the potential risk to American players living in foreign countries, there is also the physical risk to a player’s health of playing professional basketball year round.

The ultimate answer to this dilemma is for the W to continue to do everything they can to raise player salaries to a level that permits players to play one season only in the US.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I do not think any of the Americans listed are currently in the WNBA. For some of these girls it's the only way to extend their careers. For them, maybe the rewards are greater than the risks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Ryan Boatright announced that he had signed with a Russian club. I’m not sure if he actually went.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No problem. Just reaffirming what we all believe. Nothing wrong with that.
I was suggesting that great minds think alike.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For some reason, I feel the need to say that this is, for every player, a very personal decision balancing income opportunities with other life factors.

If Napheesa decided to play overseas, I would support her decision just the same. It's her personal choice, and it's not really my place to approve or disapprove.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom