Napheesa Collier named Lynx captain | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier named Lynx captain

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1593990176993.png

Napheesa Collier hasn’t dealt with much of a learning curve in the WNBA. After running away with the 2019 Rookie of the Year Award and then successfully lobbying the Minnesota Lynx to draft her former teammate Crystal Dangerfield, Collier is now a team captain in just her second season. While it’s fairly uncommon for second-year players to assume leadership roles (Maya Moore was also made a team captain in her sophomore year with the Lynx), Reeve is trusting in Collier to join Sylvia Fowles and Karima Christmas-Kelly as a captain in the single-site 2020 season at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.

“I felt really honored when I was approached to be a captain, especially in my second year,” Collier told media via Zoom. “I take it very seriously. I wanna be what Syl and some of the other captains were for me last year, someone they can talk to, look up to, and can lead by example. Even though I’m not a vet, I definitely want to be that person for anyone on the team.”

Collier is not known for being an outspoken personality, tending to follow the ‘Speak softly and carry a big stick.’ West African proverb she had painted on custom sneakers last season. However, she’s been working on raising her voice and being more vocal since her junior and senior seasons at UConn.

“My leadership style is usually more ‘lead by example,’ but the past couple years — especially in college— I stepped into that more vocal role,” the 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year explained. “It’s something I’ve been trying to grow at and trying to get better at. It’s something I’m trying to bring to the Lynx now.”

1593987386893.png

Collier chats with Lynx HC/GM Cheryl Reeve.

A recap of Collier's rookie season -
Collier was selected by the Minnesota Lynx as the 6th overall pick in the 2019 WNBA draft. She was asked to play small forward, then power forward, and later, small forward. In her first WNBA game, Collier scored 27 points against the Chicago Sky, the second-highest debut ever for any rookie (after Candace Parker). She played 33.3 mpg, more minutes per game than any other WNBA player.

She is the second rookie (after Tamika Catchings) in WNBA history to score 400 points, 200 rebounds and 60 steals. Collier is the fourth player (after Maya Moore, Catchings and Sheryl Swoopes) to have a season with 400 points, 200 rebounds, 75 assists, 50 steals, 25 blocks and 25 made three-pointers. Collier was voted to the 2019 WNBA All-Rookie Team, and became an All-Star as an injury replacement for A'ja Wilson.

For the season, Collier averaged 13.3 points, 6.6 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.9 steals and 0.9 blocks. She shot 49.0% from the field, 36.1% from three, and 79.2% from the free throw line. She was chosen ESPNW, Associated Press, and WNBA Rookie of the Year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How very nice for Pheesa! It's hard to imagine a stronger vote of confidence from the team.

There is this thing called a sophomore slump, but hey Pheesa, no pressure. Ok, ok, talent will out and all will be well.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There is no sophomore slump in the WNBA because there are no sophomores. ;)

Reaction Score
There is no sophomore slump in the WNBA because there are no sophomores. ;)
I believe the term is by analogy applied to second or second year efforts in general. Besides DDW, if there are no sophomores in pro sports, why all the sophomoric behavior:cool:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe the term is by analogy applied to second or second year efforts in general. Besides DDW, if there are no sophomores in pro sports, why all the sophomoric behavior:cool:
Good question.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The term always referred to pro sports, baseball especially. I heard the term all the time growing up. It couldn't have referred to college because freshman couldn't play varsity back then.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Congrats to' Pheesa. Being named captain shows that her contributions to the team are more than those just found on the stat line.

During her collegiate years, she (obviously) played on a rival team, but she and Gabby Williams were the two players I admired the most on the Huskies (post-Stewie). They both did a great job of making things very, very difficult for the Irish. :rolleyes: :(

Personally, I can't wait to see Jessica Shepard return from her ACL injury and get on the court again with Pheesa and the Lynx. The two seemed to have an excellent rapport in the beginning of their rookie years and hope to see it pick up again. In the interim, go Pheesa!

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When she signed with UConn, I remember a nice column by a St. Louis sportswriter (gen. columnist not beat writer) that was effusive with his praise. He really made it a point to stress that Collier was more than just a great player, she was a special young person destined for success. I think he can take the W.

Reaction Score
Does she get Captains pay... Head bang
Actually, yes. She makes about $3,000 a year more than a military Captain with under 3 years in grade. This is WNBA money only of course. Neither WNBA or US Military pay very well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Turns out Maya was made a captain in her second season with the Lynx. Reeve said: "And frankly I thought Phee was one of our better leaders last year as a rookie. Same path as Maya (Moore), from when she was a rookie to her second year, was when we made Maya a captain. Because of her abilities to do the right things, say the right things. Phee has all those qualities as well. " Preparation factors under 'bubble' a mystery as Lynx begin training camp

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Turns out Maya was made a captain in her second season with the Lynx. Reeve said: "And frankly I thought Phee was one of our better leaders last year as a rookie. Same path as Maya (Moore), from when she was a rookie to her second year, was when we made Maya a captain. Because of her abilities to do the right things, say the right things. Phee has all those qualities as well. " Preparation factors under 'bubble' a mystery as Lynx begin training camp

Follow up on Pheesa

Q: When we last saw Phee she was trying to beat Seattle almost single-handedly in the playoffs last year. Rookie of the year, finishing the season strong. What’s her next step?

A: I think she would tell you there is greater familiarity right now about what it means to be a WNBA player. I think the places she invested some time is a little more perimeter-oriented skills. Coming from college, where she was primarily a post, we threw her into the fire (at the small forward position). She handled it great. She added things to her game quickly. But now, she’s had the offseason to train more like a perimeter player. So that means being able to run off screens, being prepared to shoot. That means being able to play in the pick-and-roll game. Handling the ball in transition effectively. Those were the things I think she’d say she spent the most time on. She’s a worker.

Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier hasn’t dealt with much of a learning curve in the WNBA. After running away with the 2019 Rookie of the Year Award
Congrats' Napheesa and being named captain in year 2 is very impressive. Your overall post on her 2019 accomplishmnets is also impressive and shows why she is deserving of the captaincy.

Still I do differ on the "running away" comment regarding the ROY. I would argue the 2018 WNBA ROY, Aja Wilson, who was a unanimous pick, truly "ran away" with that award. In 2019, Napheesa got 67% of the votes (29 of 43) and received 1 WNBA Rookie of the Month while Arike did get the other 14 votes and won the other two WNBA rookies of the month. Napheesa got the most votes to win the award with her all around consistent play and the fact her team made the playoffs and Arike's did not. Still there was no question by any voter in 2018 that Aja was the ROY which so in my opinion that is "running away" with an award.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess when Seimone said, "When I leave this will be your team," she meant it literally.

Maybe she'll have a sophomore slump like the one she had in college.
I'd expect a jump, not a slump. She's familiar with the speed of the game and her short-comings and has had a full off-season to work on them. Collier is a full adherent to the "if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse" philosophy. She'll be better,

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Phee! I’m pleased, but not surprised.

Who knows what this WNBA season will look like, but Phee now has a PG who can find her on the move. I expect big things from Phee and Crystal.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="domerduck, post: 36
Napheesa got the most votes to win the award with her all around consistent play
[/QUOTE]
There must be a lot of reasons a player that has a good rookie year falls back some their second - opposing players learn their weaknesses, strengths and tendencies, self-imposed pressure or what have you. Pheesa has some immunity I think as her game is pretty low tech and depends on consistently working hard to be in the right spot to do the things she does so well, generally near the basket. There is no reason she can't improve her perimeter game, which is what the Lynx want her to do, and that could hurt her effectiveness until she climbs the learning curve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom