Napheesa Collier Named AAC Player Of The Week | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier Named AAC Player Of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-12_13-58-28.png

AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Napheesa Collier • So. • F • UConn

Sophomore forward Napheesa Collier averaged 21.0 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.5 blocks per game while shooting 70.8-percent (17-of-24) from the floor and 88.9-percent from the charity in a 2-0 week for the No. 1/2 Huskies, which included wins at No. 2/1 Notre Dame and Kansas State. Collier started the week with 20 points, to go along with five rebounds against the Irish on Wednesday. She followed that up with a 22-point, eight-rebound, five-block, six-steal effort in the win over Kansas State on Sunday. Collier has now scored at least 20 points in five out of the last six contests, including the last three consecutive games.

[LINK]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Napheesa has been MY player of the week EVERY week!!! I also love the fact that she's resilient.

If Collier can continue on this pace the entire season, I can't see her not being voted a 1st team ALL-American.
We know she'll have some pretty stiff competition, but who is playing better and more consistently than her right now? She was dinged yesterday, but being the trooper and team player she is, she persevered. She refused to come out of the game, and leave her teammates hanging. Those actions are duly noted. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Court sense? the idea that you can sort of sense the opponents around you, reacting to them with your cuts and moves, scoring without being distracted by having to actually think about them; intuiting how the ball will come off the rim because of the trajectory and force of the shot, and reacting to that and getting it to that spot first. She's got tons and tons of court sense and you just can't teach that.

Reaction Score
Such a reliable offensive contributor! A difference maker, as Geno said after the Notre Dame game. Pheesa has made the ultimate sophomore leap, and she's only going to get better. Kudos to Geno and his staff for the recruiting stroke of genius that brought this 24-karat player to Storrs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The notion of NPOY and Collier in the same sentence has some serious credibility coming from Kara...who saw this coming?
Here's an interesting comparison of Napheesa, A'ja Wilson, and Brianna Turner over the first third of the season:

Player: Wilson/Turner/Collier

Minutes per game: 25.0/26.2/31.7

PPG: 16.1/13.8/19.4

FG%: .561/.554/.676

FT%: .712/.634/.774

RPG: 5.9/7.3/7.0

Blocks: 20/12/18

Steals: 10/5/20

Pheesa is playing more minutes, scoring more, shooting better, and nabbing more steals than the high-profile pre-season AA candidates.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting comparison of Napheesa, A'ja Wilson, and Brianna Turner over the first third of the season:
Player: Wilson/Turner/Collier
Minutes per game: 25.0/26.2/31.7
PPG: 16.1/13.8/19.4
FG%: .561/.554/.676
FT%: .712/.634/.774
RPG: 5.9/7.3/7.0
Blocks: 20/12/18
Steals: 10/5/20

Pheesa is playing more minutes, scoring more, shooting better, and nabbing more steals than the high-profile pre-season AA candidates.

WOW!

And on top of that, it all comes while competing against, collectively, higher ranked teams.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Fellow BY'ers, get used to seeing this name attached to this weekly award. Also wouldn't surprise me to see her as the AAC POY. She's quietly good. ;)

Hey Tony, You didn't have to take a single step out on that limb to make THAT prediction. Anyone with eyes can see the truth in that one. The numbers speak for themselves. You can argue opinion, you can't argue facts. We're almost a third of the way through the season. Collier is playing at an AA level thus far. I see no reason why she can't continue to play at this level, especially since the level of competition will drop when play resumes after the Christmas break. As Javaman observed in his comment above, Collier is doing this against ranked teams.

I apologize for my forward thinking here. It's never a good idea to look beyond your next game, but I am a seer. I've been on a run lately of making some predictions that came true. This one is not a reach. When (not if) Collier receives 1st team AA status/recognition, that will clear the way for her jersey to one day far down the road to find its way onto the wall in Gampel (The Huskies of Honor). You know she's only going to get better.

Can you imagine for a moment the numbers/stats she's going to be putting up as a senior? Once again, (we've seen it many times before) we're looking at greatness in the making again. We just watched the BIG 3 for four years grow and mature into one of the greatest, most accomplished classes in WCBB history. Well, here we go again, now and for the next 5 years at least (Collier & others). Geno and staff have got some potential super stars back stage that will be making their mark on WCBB soon. It sure is fun being a UConn women's basketball fan. :cool:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Congrats to Napheesa. I was also thinking she is working on the AAC POY at this pace. I can see her her or Samuelson leap frogging Nurse (preseason POY) for the hardware by season end.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm going to reveal what this envelope says about Napheesa Collier. There is a time and place for everything. This is the place, but not the time. I'll wait until the end of the season. It's a pretty simple observation that I would bet your money on. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going to reveal what this envelope says about Napheesa Collier. There is a time and place for everything. This is the place, but not the time. I'll wait until the end of the season. It's a pretty simple observation that I would bet your money on. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Thanks Milford. I watched this and loved it. I laughed out loud on several of his answers. Of all of Johnny's characters, I liked "Carnac the magnificent" the best. You know what they say about "imitation".............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom