Napheesa Collier: MVP Candidate, Not just ROY | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier: MVP Candidate, Not just ROY

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier Isn't Just The WNBA Rookie Of The Year, She's An MVP Candidate
Brendon Kleen (Forbes)

Let’s end that debate right here. Collier is the Rookie of the Year. Minnesota is a playoff team, while Dallas is in the cellar as they continue to rebuild. Outside of Fowles, no player has meant close to as much to the Lynx’s return to the postseason than Collier. Minnesota is 17 points better per 100 possessions overall when Collier is on the court versus on the bench. Despite using just 18 percent of her team’s possessions, Collier is able to help the team generate easy offense and lock down on defense. Her positional versatility has allowed coach Cheryl Reeve to find minutes for Dantas and Talbot. The defensive and playmaking instincts Collier entered the league with have lessened the burden on Fowles as well.

Collier isn’t just Rookie of the Year, she’s a serious MVP candidate.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Reasonably good article on the Rookie of the Year race if you ignore the clickbait title.

She's not a candidate when the writer himself says "Should she win the MVP trophy? No, probably not." They could write an article about Collier's excellent year without going for hyperbole.

But then they wouldn't have tricked me into clicking!

EDD is MVP by a mile, by the way.

Last edited:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Napheesa deserves ROY and MVP. She is the perfect example of what Great Coaching can do. Napheesa is a special player, but with the guidance of Coaches Geno Auriemma and Chris "C.D." Dailey, she is an amazing player. When you add Coach Cheryl Reeves to the mix....Napheesa will be a beast, and a player to be reckon with.

Reaction Score
It’s going to be a very close vote. Second time Arike hit 35. She won that game for them. Both are closing strong down the stretch. No one could stop her but you have to love Colliers game too.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Collier has UNIQUE skills and REALLY is Quite SPECIAL !!!

Reaction Score
He offers very interesting insights. All three rookies are tearing up the court. Amazing to see all three blossom. Great players.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
he makes a great case why collier is the clear choice for ROY

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Collier will be the first rookie since T. Catchings to accomplish four different goals ( I don't remember what they are-somebody help me here ) and it takes a special player to do that. Also, we all know she was the only rookie to play in the All Star game.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Before this past college season and during it, I thought Napheesa Collier fit best next to A'ja Wilson.

On August 27, 2018, I posted:
If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier... Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2).

On November 21, 2018, I posted:
Now, is Collier the best player in the draft? Maybe, maybe not.
But is Collier the best fit for Las Vegas, who has Plum/Jefferson at the point, McBride on the perimeter, and Wilson up front? Absolutely.

On January 30, 2019, I posted:
Collier's perimeter shooting has given me a little pause this year. I still think she will be a good fit next to Wilson. But I expected her game to develop more in terms of her outside shooting and prowess from the free throw line, not a step back. Still, she has proven she has the three in her offensive arsenal, and her mid-range jumper is still great. And as I mentioned before, she knows how to be effective and contribute as the #1 option or the #4 option, which is vital in the WNBA as a rookie (especially going to Las Vegas, which has Wilson as the established star and McBride as the clear #2 option right now).

And on March 18, 2019, I posted (about whether Las Vegas should trade the #1 pick):
And the team really wants Napheesa Collier at the four, next to A'ja Wilson.

What we are seeing with Napheesa Collier at the four (and occasionally the three) is her ability to play with a true low post center (Sylvia Fowles), which is similar to how she would have played had Vegas taken her at #1 (and played her PF next to Wilson).

One stat that also tells you about Collier's impact is that she is THIRD in the entire WNBA in minutes played per game (32.9).

As an aside, I had a conversation on April 8, 2019 with a national journalist who covers the WNBA and WCBB. The journalist was doing a final mock draft right after Jackie Young announced she was leaving and Sabrina Ionescu announced she was staying. The journalist asked me who I would take at #1, if no trades could be made (obviously, this was well before the Liz Cambage trade).

I said, without hesitation, that I would take Napheesa Collier.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Collier has UNIQUE skills and REALLY is Quite SPECIAL !!!
Pheesa has versatility something like that of another player born in Jefferson City, the one known as Maya the Magnificent. Now we have Pheesa the Phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Before this past college season and during it, I thought Napheesa Collier fit best next to A'ja Wilson.
On August 27, 2018, I posted:
If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier... Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2).

On November 21, 2018, I posted:
Now, is Collier the best player in the draft? Maybe, maybe not.
But is Collier the best fit for Las Vegas, who has Plum/Jefferson at the point, McBride on the perimeter, and Wilson up front? Absolutely.

On January 30, 2019, I posted:
Collier's perimeter shooting has given me a little pause this year. I still think she will be a good fit next to Wilson. But I expected her game to develop more in terms of her outside shooting and prowess from the free throw line, not a step back. Still, she has proven she has the three in her offensive arsenal, and her mid-range jumper is still great. And as I mentioned before, she knows how to be effective and contribute as the #1 option or the #4 option, which is vital in the WNBA as a rookie (especially going to Las Vegas, which has Wilson as the established star and McBride as the clear #2 option right now).

And on March 18, 2019, I posted (about whether Las Vegas should trade the #1 pick):
And the team really wants Napheesa Collier at the four, next to A'ja Wilson.

What we are seeing with Napheesa Collier at the four (and occasionally the three) is her ability to play with a true low post center (Sylvia Fowles), which is similar to how she would have played had Vegas taken her at #1 (and played her PF next to Wilson).

One stat that also tells you about Collier's impact is that she is THIRD in the entire WNBA in minutes played per game (32.9).

As an aside, I had a conversation on April 8, 2019 with a national journalist who covers the WNBA and WCBB. The journalist was doing a final mock draft right after Jackie Young announced she was leaving and Sabrina Ionescu announced she was staying. The journalist asked me who I would take at #1, if no trades could be made (obviously, this was well before the Liz Cambage trade).

I said, without hesitation, that I would take Napheesa Collier.
You nailed it. After reading your post I think you’re exactly right about Collier and Aja Wilson. They would be terrific together. Cambage is the opposite of Collier. It’s hard for Liz to play a team game while Collier seems to blend with just about anyone.
Of the top 6 drafted KLS is the only player who hasn’t helped her team and that’s due to injury. None of the 7-12 1st round picks have had any impact yet. Those top 6 turned out to be good picks so far. (Durr and KLS injuries slowed development) Lynx so fortunate Collier dropped. She would be having an even better year if Shepherd didn’t go down. Shepherd great find in the 2nd round.
She’s the only player in the last two rounds who has had any impact. Sophie Cunningham and Kennedy Burke are getting some quality minutes

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reasonably good article on the Rookie of the Year race if you ignore the clickbait title.

She's not a candidate when the writer himself says "Should she win the MVP trophy? No, probably not." They could write an article about Collier's excellent year without going for hyperbole.

But then they wouldn't have tricked me into clicking!

EDD is MVP by a mile, by the way.
He's making the point that Phees isn't just good for a rookie; she's good period, but yeah winning MVP is hyperbole.

Reaction Score
Arike had 35 tonight in a win and shot nearly 50%. She's making a case for herself. But Dallas was eliminated from the playoffs.
Big numbers on the board are good when you are winning with those numbers. When the numbers only inflate your stats and not win games---well.......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Big numbers on the board are good when you are winning with those numbers. When the numbers only inflate your stats and not win games---well..
That last drive she took last night to end the game was to add to her point totals. It did not look good but that's just my thinking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom