Napheesa Collier is Finally Healthy | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier is Finally Healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
You know , as I think about it , our entire starting 5 could be coming back from some sort of surgery. Kia (hernia) , KLS ( foot) , SANIYA ( LT band) , Gabby(knee) , Napheesa(labrum) , Natalie(thumb). And you could throw in lil 'Danger' if you insist.

Point being, that if the rest of the WCBB world don't take advantage of the recently wounded Huskies this season , they can forget it next season when Stevens, Camara , and the 2017 recruits come on the scene.

GO HUSKIES !!

Reaction Score
Personally I disagree. Morgan was (unconditionally) amazing! Napheesa has great potential.
Have at it---opinions and disagreements are the grease that makes the world turn---
Morgan is gone---Napheesa is here. Come on, there must Always be a condition to the statement Tuck is amazing--
All things written or stated have implied conditions---
as--in my postings---it's implied that I AM NOT always right..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have at it---opinions and disagreements are the grease that makes the world turn---
Morgan is gone---Napheesa is here. Come on, there must Always be a condition to the statement Tuck is amazing--
All things written or stated have implied conditions---
as--in my postings---it's implied that I AM NOT always right..
In that case I agree.... with your implication.:D

Reaction Score
In that case I agree.... with your implication.:D

I had a feeling ---that may be the case. Thanks for the giggle.

Morgan was/is exceptional in her abilities and more so if you know she played hurting much of the time. I have come to have more compassion for those with constant pain--with or without medication.
My belief in Napheesa should not detract from what Morgan has accomplished--in time both shall be remembered as AMAZING..

Reaction Score
Personal opinion!! Collier will do things Tuck only thought about. Morgan was amazing for her size--Napheesa is just amazing.

As I watched replays of UConn games from last season, one of the dominant impressions I took away was a great appreciation of Morgan. Go back and do the same; I think you'll find that Tuck is/was a great player, a clutch player, a smart player. She was the team's anchor, its rock. Many of the opportunities that were presented to Bre and Mo came because of Morgan's understanding of every situation and of her steady hand in shooting, passing, rebounding. She was as complete a forward as one could hope. What she went through in injury, pain, rehab makes all that she was/did the more remarkable. May Napheesa be her Second Coming.

Reaction Score
As I watched replays of UConn games from last season, one of the dominant impressions I took away was a great appreciation of Morgan. Go back and do the same; I think you'll find that Tuck is/was a great player, a clutch player, a smart player. She was the team's anchor, its rock. Many of the opportunities that were presented to Bre and Mo came because of Morgan's understanding of every situation and of her steady hand in shooting, passing, rebounding. She was as complete a forward as one could hope. What she went through in injury, pain, rehab makes all that she was/did the more remarkable. May Napheesa be her Second Coming.

Every word you have written above---i agree with. Morgan was as complete a basketball player--Geno could hope for
If as a Junior or Senior Napheesa is close to Tuck--she will have achieved Geno's goal. I believe that Collier is up to the task and more--if i overstate her potential--i'll live with that. Does not hurt to give the new guys a shove upwards does it/?///

Reaction Score
So, here in SoCal I have a friend who is a very successful Head Coach at a very successful CC in regards to women's basketball. He also heads a successful club program. Last year I spoke with him regarding the current Uconn players. He told me that he believed the best player on the team is Collier. He is very familiar with KLS.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Morgan and Pheesa are different.

Morgan's strengths include her versatility, fabulous footwork, patience, calmness, and leadership.

Napheesa is noted for hard work, athleticsm, and being a ball magnet.

Both are known as great teammates. Both were widely regarded as being in the top 6 of their high school class. Both played hurt. Both have won at least one NCAA championship. I definitely think that Pheesa has AA potential.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Morgan and Pheesa are different.

Morgan's strengths include her versatility, fabulous footwork, patience, calmness, and leadership.

Napheesa is noted for hard work, athleticsm, and being a ball magnet.

Both are known as great teammates. Both were widely regarded as being in the top 6 of their high school class. Both played hurt. Both have won at least one NCAA championship. I definitely think that Pheesa has AA potential.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I'm VERY confident Napheesa will be known for her Versatility ( and Skills ) . also see Poise, Leadership being attributes she is noted for by her Senior year.

I am extremely anxious, intrigued to see the stage her game rises to this season.

to be in the shadow of THAT 3some of Seniors (All Americans ) ... a championship team that returned 4 starters and multiple reserves...
and to AVG 6 ppg , 5 Boards. 1 Blk AND Impactful / Disruptive overall Defense in 17 minutes.
AND the Stat that I have been reminding basketball people a lot lately = her 92% from FT line ( 48 attempts is solid sample size ) . That is a BIG deal !!!
especially for an Aggressive, Active, Athletic, OFF Rebounding, Drive confident Forward

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I'm VERY confident Napheesa will be known for her Versatility ( and Skills ) . also see Poise, Leadership being attributes she is noted for by her Senior year.

I am extremely anxious, intrigued to see the stage her game rises to this season.

to be in the shadow of THAT 3some of Seniors (All Americans ) ... a championship team that returned 4 starters and multiple reserves...
and to AVG 6 ppg , 5 Boards. 1 Blk AND Impactful / Disruptive overall Defense in 17 minutes.
AND the Stat that I have been reminding basketball people a lot lately = her 92% from FT line ( 48 attempts is solid sample size ) . That is a BIG deal !!!
especially for an Aggressive, Active, Athletic, OFF Rebounding, Drive confident Forward
I didn't list versatility for Napheesa, but I agree with you. She also seems poised.

Yes, the Big 3 cast a LONG shadow. I think Pheesa played largely on instincts last year. She knows the system much better now, she is healthy, and presumably she has added muscle (which she said she lacked last year).

I love her FT %. She has the unusual style of not bouncing the ball, but it works. I believe she started her senior year in HS by shooting 90% on FTs, but then dropped to 80% or so. If she can hit FTs at a solid rate, her midrange jumper should be good too. I agree about offensive rebounding--Pheesa has great instincts. I expect to see a little of Nneka Ogwumike and Nina Davis in her game.

Reaction Score
Napheesa and Gabby are two of the most instinctual offensive rebounders I have seen in a long time..........they will need to be at the top of their games if UConn is going to have a successful season (final four)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

As I stated in an earlier post, last year we only got to see a small sampling of what Collier can do. This year, we'll get to see her for longer periods of time, as I predict she will be a starter. Geno cannot afford to keep her skill set/potential on the bench.
Collier has an uncanny nose for the ball which has caused her teammates to call her a "ball magnet". You can't teach that.

Temple Jr. pg Alliya Butts said in a recent interview: "My freshman year I was young and made a lot of mental mistakes. My sophomore year I gained confidence and this year I'm even more confident in what I can do. My game is better. My jump shot has improved. I can do more things with the ball and help my team".

You can substitute most incoming freshman's name here, and this statement would fit them as well. Gabby said the same thing last year. You saw how much better she performed her Sophomore year. Collier will approach this season with a new and different mindset.

This year, she knows the plays, she knows what she's doing, and it will no doubt show in her on court play. Collier's stats were very impressive last year in the limited minutes she played. I look for her to match or exceed those numbers this year. Collier will begin the season pain free, a starter and with a bit more leash to play her game. I look forward to watching Napheesa go through her sophomore growing experiences this season.

Carnac predicts: Collier will finish the season as an all AAC Conference first or second team member.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Milford - Great call ! regarding how Napheesa primarily played on Instinct last year . (accurate and succinct )

Reaction Score
So, here in SoCal I have a friend who is a very successful Head Coach at a very successful CC in regards to women's basketball. He also heads a successful club program. Last year I spoke with him regarding the current Uconn players. He told me that he believed the best player on the team is Collier. He is very familiar with KLS.
She didn't play like it. I thought KLS was easily a better player for the Huskies. That may change but I had expected a bit more from Napheesa. She didn't play badly but she fell short of what I'd read of her prior to coming to Storrs. I obviously would love for her to prove me wrong and she'll have more than enough opportunity to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom