Napheesa Collier had Neck Spasms During K State Game | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier had Neck Spasms During K State Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I saw her reach up to the side of her neck and mouth a few words early on - I thought maybe she caught an elbow or something.

Hope she gets some good PT for it back in Storrs!

Reaction Score
That explains why she looked off today and I thought played poorly unlike herself. I believe what I just wrote above and then in the 4th quarter they showed that she had 21 points and like 8 rebounds. I don't know how she does it, but man does she do it quietly. She had those numbers and played poor.... wow!

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised that physical stuff is happening. The team is really short-handed, and the young women seem both mentally and physically played out. This was reflected in the torpor with which this game was contested. Either UConn was acting perfunctorily (going through the motions) or KState has the best zone defense in the world. Geno called it "lazy" at halftime. Maybe it was. To me it looked like the Huskies had lost their legs, missed open posters, started to stand around. It was like the air going out of a balloon--slowly but steadily. Lou & Gang will appreciate eight days between this game and Ohio State. Not to be remiss, I think that the Wildcats deserve some credit for never quitting, playing tough, showing well. They can be proud of their effort.

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised that physical stuff is happening. The team is really short-handed, and the young women seem both mentally and physically played out. This was reflected in the torpor with which this game was contested. Either UConn was acting perfunctorily (going through the motions) or KState has the best zone defense in the world. Geno called it "lazy" at halftime. Maybe it was. To me it looked like the Huskies had lost their legs, missed open posters, started to stand around. It was like the air going out of a balloon--slowly but steadily. Lou & Gang will appreciate eight days between this game and Ohio State. Not to be remiss, I think that the Wildcats deserve some credit for never quitting, playing tough, showing well. They can be proud of their effort.

As Geno said- he needed Chong.

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised that physical stuff is happening. The team is really short-handed, and the young women seem both mentally and physically played ou Lou & Gang will appreciate eight days between this game and Ohio State. Not to be remiss, I think that the Wildcats deserve some credit for never quitting, playing tough, showing well. They can be proud of their effort.

Yes......... unlike the Notre Dame coach from the other night's press conference, I agree that KState played a gritty game and had some impact on the UConn offense.........you see Muffet, that didn't hurt a bit!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Geno did the same thing when UConn is not playing a top 10 team. He did it last year in AAC conference games. He slowed the game down in the second half when their lead is close to 20 points and just ran out the clock. It was frustrating to watch Crystal Dangerfield walked up the court and just dribbled around to run the clock. They even had a couple of clock violations. I guess he was happy just to win and get home to do some shopping.

Reaction Score
With about a minute to go in the ND game and a time out, I figured Geno would start putting in at least Molly and maybe Kyla. But he didn't and I wondered whether he might not want to give a few of his starters at least a little break. More likely, because Muffet hadn't either, he was paying respect to ND by saying that the game deserved to be played out to the end. But every minute of rest counts for these kids, especially when they have a tight schedule.

At least now, they have a week off. Same thing happens twice more. After this week off, OSU and away at Nebraska quickly; then another week off, then at Maryland and at UCF quickly. After that, it gets reasonable. Even playing USC at home 2+ days after a previous home game is manageable.

NFL teams break it down to 4 4-game quarters. UConn has to break it down to 2 2-game pairs until into conference schedule.

Reaction Score
I noticed after Phee made a basket fairly early in the game that the camera followed her backpedaling down the court and she had an odd grimace on her face. It was a bit distressing. I thought she twisted something. But, she just kept playing and I didn't notice anything further. And now I hear about spasms. Sure hope she's okay. This is a good time for them to have a week off. Except now they'll have to deal with brain spasms. :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With about a minute to go in the ND game and a time out, I figured Geno would start putting in at least Molly and maybe Kyla. But he didn't and I wondered whether he might not want to give a few of his starters at least a little break. More likely, because Muffet hadn't either, he was paying respect to ND by saying that the game deserved to be played out to the end. But every minute of rest counts for these kids, especially when they have a tight schedule.

At least now, they have a week off. Same thing happens twice more. After this week off, OSU and away at Nebraska quickly; then another week off, then at Maryland and at UCF quickly. After that, it gets reasonable. Even playing USC at home 2+ days after a previous home game is manageable.

NFL teams break it down to 4 4-game quarters. UConn has to break it down to 2 2-game pairs until into conference schedule.
I thought leaving the starters in at ND was also a sign of respect to them - they played a great game, they deserved to be on the court when it ended - they weren't going to get a standing O from the ND stands like they would have at Gampel so honor them by letting them see the 40 in the minutes column.

Reaction Score
What if both Phessa and Saniya couldn't play the next three games. To say we have NO bench is an understatement. We wouldn't even be 5 deep because NB can't possibly play more than 25-30 minutes. I love both Kyla and Molly but neither is ready for prime time. Kyla, in particular, is at least year away from being ready to play at a level where she wouldn't be a liability against opponents like THE Ohio State University and MD.
I am NOT predicting dooms day just saying "what if" ? The real point is a key injury or two could make the remainder of the season real challenge---especially if they take place right before the Dance. I really worry about this because not many teams have injury free seasons.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I pray Napheesa and Saniya feel better. I seen Napheesa come up the court with a funny look on her face, and I thought she twisted something. Neck spasm isn't a joke. I am glad she was able to continue to play. The long break off couldn't come soon enough, these ladies really need some rest. When Napheesa came up the court with the funny look on her face, all I could think about is, how many walk-on's can UConn get this time, and can Azura and Camara play since they are short handed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope Pheesa is not bothered for her finals and gets some PT and rest. Her stats belied any injury:

22 points on 10-15 shooting, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 blocks, and 6 steals. Wow!!!

I also hope that Saniya goes through the concussion protocol as well as Crystal did.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno did the same thing when UConn is not playing a top 10 team. He did it last year in AAC conference games. He slowed the game down in the second half when their lead is close to 20 points and just ran out the clock. It was frustrating to watch Crystal Dangerfield walked up the court and just dribbled around to run the clock. They even had a couple of clock violations. I guess he was happy just to win and get home to do some shopping.

He was slowing them down because they were tired as all git out. We all know Geno insists on excellent execution regardless of score. But this was about self-preservation.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
That explains why she looked off today and I thought played poorly unlike herself. I believe what I just wrote above and then in the 4th quarter they showed that she had 21 points and like 8 rebounds. I don't know how she does it, but man does she do it quietly. She had those numbers and played poor.... wow!

I like the fact that you amended your initial assessment that she "played poorly." In another thread, some contributors made, in my view, some over the top, hyper criticisms that included judgments about some players' efforts. Your comments— and this thread— supply some needed perspective. I really do object when critics, without evidence, call players lazy or say that they gave up.

For my part, I thought Napheesa was on several occasions uncharacteristically indecisive, getting passes in the mid-post area where she has shown a remarkably astute and intuitive recognition of what she can do with the ball, immediately choosing to shoot, fake, reverse, etc. Against State, she hesitated. Quite possibly, she was bothered both by tiredness and discomfort because of her neck.

Great basketball player; great kid.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What if both Phessa and Saniya couldn't play the next three games. To say we have NO bench is an understatement. We wouldn't even be 5 deep because NB can't possibly play more than 25-30 minutes. I love both Kyla and Molly but neither is ready for prime time. Kyla, in particular, is at least year away from being ready to play at a level where she wouldn't be a liability against opponents like THE Ohio State University and MD.
I am NOT predicting dooms day just saying "what if" ? The real point is a key injury or two could make the remainder of the season real challenge---especially if they take place right before the Dance. I really worry about this because not many teams have injury free seasons.
You are right that is NOT doomsday, it is worse. It's a diss to the Gods of basketball, mojo, fate , & the universe as we know it. UCONN has 10 players on scholarship. As long as five of them are ready to go next game we will be fine, although we might need more than 5 in March/April.

Reaction Score
I noticed after Phee made a basket fairly early in the game that the camera followed her backpedaling down the court and she had an odd grimace on her face. It was a bit distressing. I thought she twisted something. But, she just kept playing and I didn't notice anything further. And now I hear about spasms. Sure hope she's okay. This is a good time for them to have a week off. Except now they'll have to deal with brain spasms. :eek: :rolleyes:
I saw at least twice she had the ball down low and took forever to get the shot off. I figured it was just fatigue.

Reaction Score
Also so many rim outs on shots usually made, a sign of your game just a little off.

Reaction Score

The time bomb, waiting for the next injury, when the good deep teams have enough players to pressure, push, and beat on Lou, Pheese, Gabby and Nurse. Before the nose chop, Chong was hurt last year. Lou has the worrisome ankle, now Collier has neck spasms. Gabby has the wonky hamstring and Crystal the concussion. I'm grateful for the AAC so Molly and Irwin can throw their weight around and give some of the starters the chance to play a half or three quarters. And Nat can get used to playing longer and harder. It's up to Geno how much he wants to work them the next eight days.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I hope Pheesa is not bothered for her finals and gets some PT and rest. Her stats belied any injury:

22 points on 10-15 shooting, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 blocks, and 6 steals. Wow!!!

I also hope that Saniya goes through the concussion protocol as well as Crystal did.

I thought K State played well, they were leaving the back of the zone wide open for any player who could sneak in to get a lay up to try and stop your 3 barrage. Wouldn't trust the stats especially in this game they seemed off to me and not in line with the game I watched. Hope Chong is ready to go for you next week, your 3 are logging some huge minutes and it takes a toll on the body.

Reaction Score
Watching the replay now and can see Collier trying to "shake it off" early into the game. Lots of hands to her neck, stretching, and movements that look as if she's trying to loosen up. Hope it's a case of not sleeping in a Holliday Inn Express bed the night before and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom