Napheesa - Bridgeport MOP | The Boneyard

Napheesa - Bridgeport MOP

Reaction Score
As a fan, I have a hard time choosing which player I want to watch more, #24 or #33 during a UCONN game this year. The quote below from one of Nan's 3/28 news links sealed the deal for me I think. How can you not admire a player with that mentality and who goes about their business in such an unassuming manner? Yes you can lump most UCONN players into that category, but Pheesa is so deserving of any and all awards that are soon to be coming her way. So great to see her growth thus far and it's not over yet. Two more years of getting to watch both #24 and 33..... spoiled we are.

Women's Basketball Analysis: Collier joins the 1000 point club in Elite Eight blowout

“At times my team is doing most of the work. They would drive in and make people help and then dish it to me so I would get the point,” Collier said praising her teammates. “A lot of my points came from my teammates working so hard, so it was definitely a team effort and they did a great job.”

Reaction Score
Most Obnoxious Player?
I know a few teams that would support that.

Reaction Score
Napheesa was incrdible and the MOP; however, last night Gabby was the best player. Her pressure defense and steals that got UConn out on the break fueled the fire that scorched the court. Also, Katie Lou was not held to 8 points as though Oregon played incredible defense against her. Her shot was off, but she played hard the entire game.

Reaction Score
Napheesa was incrdible and the MOP; however, last night Gabby was the best player. Her pressure defense and steals that got UConn out on the break fueled the fire that scorched the court. Also, Katie Lou was not held to 8 points as though Oregon played incredible defense against her. Her shot was off, but she played hard the entire game.
Both, Gabby and Pheesa are "wow" players. The difference is that Gabby wow's you, mostly, while watching the game, and Napheesa wow's you, mostly, after looking at the box score. Incredible talents, them and the whole team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Both, Gabby and Pheesa are "wow" players. The difference is that Gabby wow's you, mostly, while watching the game, and Napheesa wow's you, mostly, after looking at the box score. Incredible talents, them and the whole team.

Watch a replay and focus completely on Collier. The way she pins her defender is text book. She also sets them up so no matter what they do she has counter move to repin her opponent. Great footwork. Whether in the half court or in transition she is scanning the whole and anticipating what will happen. She then moves to where she can accpet a pass for an easy bucket of drive a lane she see before it opens up. Maybe this is why Geno says he can't explain how does what she does. Perhaps CD and Marissa can since they must have spent a great deal of time coaching Collier. Geno says her mind is unclutter from self-doubt.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah Gabby's athleticism gives her a great wow factor. As a matter of fact, on the RebKell's Junkie Boards Gabby has her own thread called, "Gabby: Come Fly With Me", where postings of her scoring and rebounding are on view. Gabby just jumps off the screen, almost literally. But for me watching Pheese, her moves are so balletic, so smooth and economical, so precise, it's beautiful to watch. Pheese's game flows and does so in a very natural, organic way. Gabby's game soars and does so in surprising ways. Pheese, Gabby, and Lou compliment each other in ways no other players on UConn have before. A special thing of beauty for me is watching how Pheese will come full tilt down court, take a pass, stop and pop. Getting that forward motion stopped then putting up a soft shot ain't easy folks, and it take a special kind of coordination to do. Beautiful. Also in more praise of Pheese, she has that Delle Donne ability to hang in the air inside, usually before that pretty bank shot. Beautiful. She's a sophomore folks. This year is her bottom, or as Geno says, the worse she's going to look.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Watch a replay and focus completely on Collier. The way she pins her defender is text book. She also sets them up so no matter what they do she has counter move to repin her opponent. Great footwork. Whether in the half court or in transition she is scanning the whole and anticipating what will happen. She then moves to where she can accpet a pass for an easy bucket of drive a lane she see before it opens up. Maybe this is why Geno says he can't explain how does what she does. Perhaps CD and Marissa can since they must have spent a great deal of time coaching Collier. Geno says her mind is unclutter from self-doubt.
Yeah. Hughes mentioned that over and over during his color analysis outings. She also has some of the best hands in WCBB and can receive a pass below her knees or above her head, hard or soft, bounced or not. Very unique in WCBB for her size.

Reaction Score

Pheesa is far too humble to mention all of the things accurately described above, but I think in combo with the her statement in the top of this thread there's a lot of significance. Multiple times this season, Kim Mulkey has made comments in interviews about the effectiveness of her post players, but the inability of her team to get the ball inside enough. Likewise, how often are you watching any game on TV and see guards failing to feed their teammates inside (for whatever reason)?

Combine the smartest interior worker and most efficient finisher (Pheesa) with the best passing team in the country (5 players with >110 assists) and what do you get? A sophomore AA/AAC Co-POY/NCAA Regional MOP leading the country in FG% (.4% behind #1 Jones, but close enough) and a team that has set an NCAA record for assists in a season on it's way to conquering every test thus far.

It all makes a lot of sense.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Yeah Gabby's athleticism gives her a great wow factor. As a matter of fact, on the RebKell's Junkie Boards Gabby has her own thread called, "Gabby: Come Fly With Me", where postings of her scoring and rebounding are on view. Gabby just jumps off the screen, almost literally. But for me watching Pheese, her moves are so balletic, so smooth and economical, so precise, it's beautiful to watch. Pheese's game flows and does so in a very natural, organic way. Gabby's game soars and does so in surprising ways. Pheese, Gabby, and Lou compliment each other in ways no other players on UConn have before. A special thing of beauty for me is watching how Pheese will come full tilt down court, take a pass, stop and pop. Getting that forward motion stopped then putting up a soft shot ain't easy folks, and it take a special kind of coordination to do. Beautiful. Also in more praise of Pheese, she has that Delle Donne ability to hang in the air inside, usually before that pretty bank shot. Beautiful. She's a sophomore folks. This year is her bottom, or as Geno says, the worse she's going to look.
Just looked it up. Great pics and some CRAZY great pics from the UCLA game.
Thanks for that!

Reaction Score
As a fan, I have a hard time choosing which player I want to watch more, #24 or #33 during a UCONN game this year.

Although both are wonderful players and representatives of the university NC is by far a better pound for pound player that KLS.
NC for her position, height etc can do so many things so well she as of now is the superior player. With the addition of a legit three point shot and long jumper it's starting to put her in a league of her own.

She makes every shot, avoids foul trouble, plays 38 minutes a game etc.

When it's all said and done NC will be the next all time husky great. RL, MM, DT, Stewie, NC. LOCK IT UP.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that Pheesa played like one of the best players in the nation, possibly the best. Plus, unlike Geno, I thought she played pretty good defense. As of now, I think she goes #1 in the draft, ahead of Azura and Lou. She's playing at or near the Stewie/Maya level.

Reaction Score
I thought that Pheesa played like one of the best players in the nation, possibly the best. Plus, unlike Geno, I thought she played pretty good defense. As of now, I think she goes #1 in the draft, ahead of Azura and Lou. She's playing at or near the Stewie/Maya level.

Agreed but don't forget she's a soph!!
If she progresses from soph to jr and jr to sr as she did from frosh to now she will certainly be the next husky great.

I can't wait to see AS. I just wish Chong was staying 1 more year. I hope danger makes the progression we expect.

Reaction Score
Although both are wonderful players and representatives of the university NC is by far a better pound for pound player that KLS.
NC for her position, height etc can do so many things so well she as of now is the superior player. With the addition of a legit three point shot and long jumper it's starting to put her in a league of her own.

She makes every shot, avoids foul trouble, plays 38 minutes a game etc.

When it's all said and done NC will be the next all time husky great. RL, MM, DT, Stewie, NC. LOCK IT UP.

Pound for pound, Pheesa has at least 30 lbs on Lou.

The difference between Lou and Pheesa is although Pheesa has shown that she can score a lot of points, the other teams so far have not scheme defence specifically for her, you don't see people face guarding her constantly, etc... while Lou has a tough time getting open a lot of times since the defense seems to be determined to not let her burn them.

Reaction Score
If she progresses from soph to jr and jr to sr as she did from frosh to now she will certainly be the next husky great.

I can't wait to see AS. I just wish Chong was staying 1 more year. I hope danger makes the progression we expect.
Not concerned about Crystal Dangerfield. A lot of people had concerns about Mo during her freshman year hoping that she would make the progression a #2 recruit would. As they say the rest is history.

Reaction Score
Pheese's game flows and does so in a very natural, organic way. Gabby's game soars and does so in surprising ways.
Although I enjoyed your whole post, this is the most spot on description of the difference in their games. Nicely said, Jordy!

Reaction Score

The difference between Lou and Pheesa is although Pheesa has shown that she can score a lot of points, the other teams so far have not scheme defence specifically for her, you don't see people face guarding her constantly, etc... while Lou has a tough time getting open a lot of times since the defense seems to be determined to not let her burn them.
I think right now Collier has the more versatile offensive game. It's not like Collier is a secret weapon that no one knows about. She is just spectacular at catching balls in traffic and finishing with one or two defenders all over her, and as the season has progressed, she has also proven herself a very good jump shooter that is money just inside the arc while hitting 3s at about a 35% clip. Basically she is a more athletic Morgan Tuck and still has plenty of room to grow.

Reaction Score

I really think she's just superior to other bigs. She has amazing hands, low post moves, shot etc. I think she's becoming unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I think right now Collier has the more versatile offensive game. It's not like Collier is a secret weapon that no one knows about. She is just spectacular at catching balls in traffic and finishing with one or two defenders all over her, and as the season has progressed, she has also proven herself a very good jump shooter that is money just inside the arc while hitting 3s at about a 35% clip. Basically she is a more athletic Morgan Tuck and still has plenty of room to grow.

The other team so far has not try to double team and target Pheesa specifically. Most of her outside shots are pretty wide open, not contested as well. Not saying she won't be able to handle whatever defense throw at her, but fact is we don't know.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

If Azura is better next year than Napheesa was this year, the lineup really will be insane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom