Napheesa... back to the basket | The Boneyard

Napheesa... back to the basket

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
those summer workout videos really paid off!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
True as far as back to the basket, but a few of us, me & @Sluconn Husky thinks that her jump shot from long range is changed and not for the better either.
Interesting... never thought she really had a "jump shot". She does knock down the 3, maybe better than Z!

Reaction Score
Last season she used to make the mid range jump shots which this season she misses

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
saw that 3ptr against Wichita State yesterday?

Reaction Score
Interesting... never thought she really had a "jump shot". She does knock down the 3, maybe better than Z!
No maybe about shooting better than Z for 3s. Her shooting % is twice as good.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Speaking of Z and threes: I would swear that her mechanics on that shot yesterday were different. It looked like a semblance of a jump shot with less motion than her set shot. Her set shot approach has a lot of moving parts that need to be synched to realized a good outcome.

Any shooting mechanics experts on the board tonight?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Speaking of Z and threes: I would swear that her mechanics on that shot yesterday were different. It looked like a semblance of a jump shot with less motion than her set shot. Her set shot approach has a lot of moving parts that need to be synched to realized a good outcome.

Any shooting mechanics experts on the board tonight?

Just replay any KML clip - perfect every time.

Reaction Score
image.jpeg

Gabby is my current 'favorite', but this is my t-shirt for Louisville.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
True as far as back to the basket, but a few of us, me & @Sluconn Husky thinks that her jump shot from long range is changed and not for the better either.
They said on the Wichita State broadcast that Napheesa is now up to 36% on her 3-point attempts, which is pretty formidable for the 4th best 3-point shooter on the team, and I think it's about the same as it was last year.

And I hope that people have noticed that her overall shooting percentage in the last 4 or 5 games has been fantastic, and it's probably causing her full-season shooting percentage to be getting close to what it was last year. Since that was the biggest "slippage" from last year, it certainly bodes well for the rest of the season.

Do one of you statistical wizards have exact numbers on that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They said on the Wichita State broadcast that Napheesa is now up to 36% on her 3-point attempts, which is pretty formidable for the 4th best 3-point shooter on the team, and I think it's about the same as it was last year.
And I hope that people have noticed that her overall shooting percentage in the last 4 or 5 games has been fantastic, and it's probably causing her full-season shooting percentage to be getting close to what it was last year. Since that was the biggest "slippage" from last year, it certainly bodes well for the rest of the season.
A real statistical wizards like @Phil may want to double check my numbers. Napheesa would have to increase her current tear and shoot about 83.6 % (153 of 183) in the remaining ~14 games to approach her numbers from last years. She shot 67.8 % (310/457) last year overall and 43.1 % on 3PT FG attempts. So far this year Napheesa is shooting 57.3% (157/274) overall and 37.2% on 3PT FG attempts.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A real statistical wizards like @Phil may want to double check my numbers. Napheesa would have to increase her current tear and shoot about 83.6 % (153 of 183) in the remaining ~14 games to approach her numbers from last years. She shot 67.8 % last year overall and 43.1 % on 3PT FG attempts. So far this year she is shooting 57.3% overall and 37.2% on 3PT FG attempts.
OK then, can we agree that we will both be happy if she shoots at the 2016-17 percentages for the remainder of this year including the NCAA tournament (never mind about the past)? If she does, then a 12th NC is looking rather likely.

Reaction Score
I think both Pheesa and Z should add a jump hook to their arsenals. Both players are more comfortable turning and facing the basket and shooting jump shots, which is fine unless you're up against a bigger or more athletic defender. It could be especially helpful for Pheesa because she will go up against bigger defenders, particularly at the next level.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I saw a nice 10-15ft jumper in the 1st quarter against Louisville tonight... go 'pheesa

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nice foul line shot early by Napheesa vs Tulane (just watching the game)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Collier was great against Tulane, so aggressive with the ball and very confident in her scoring touch

I'd like to see her mix in a pivot or spin back toward the lane when she goes hard across the front of the basket -- against some of the bigger opponents she gets those stretch/leaners from the left side blocked once in a while because she is so extended and falling away. She has nimble enough feet (for sure) to add one last little move to the mix.

She has such good touch, they go in against most opponents so it's usually "no problem"!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Not sure one needs to be a wizard to get UCONN stats.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/teamcume.html

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
A real statistical wizards like @Phil may want to double check my numbers. Napheesa would have to increase her current tear and shoot about 83.6 % (153 of 183) in the remaining ~14 games to approach her numbers from last years. She shot 67.8 % (310/457) last year overall and 43.1 % on 3PT FG attempts. So far this year Napheesa is shooting 57.3% (157/274) overall and 37.2% on 3PT FG attempts.
She must have heard you...she has shot 78.9 % over the last two games. Interesting how posters seem concerned about Phee's shooting percentage. Only one person in UCONN history shot better than that in a season. To expect that to continue is somewhat( even by BY standards) unrealistic. This years "off year" 58% would be in the top 10 of all time career FG% and she is on target to probably finish her career 4th or 5th of all time.

Reaction Score
I always love watching athletes working on their craft. You really don’t understand how good these girls are until they are in workouts making everything!

As for her percentage, she has taken a lot more outside jumpshots with the addition of Z clogging the lane when she’s in. I have zero issue with how she’s performed this year. 58% is a great number.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'd love to see her add a left and right handed baby hook shot. The hookshot is nearly impossible to block and will be especially helpful to her when she's facing bigger, taller defenders.

Reaction Score

I love the fade away. Pheesa is awesome using it. One problem with it is, the defender can jump into you and foul you and you may not get the call because the ref has a difficult time distinguishing the fade away from the foul. Tonight, against ND, was a good example of what I mean. Check out Gabby's last second fade away jumper in regulation. Is it a fade away, is it a foul, or both? It has also happened to Pheesa throughout the year. Tough call.

Reaction Score
I love the fade away. Pheesa is awesome using it. One problem with it is, the defender can jump into you and foul you and you may not get the call because the ref has a difficult time distinguishing the fade away from the foul. Tonight, against ND, was a good example of what I mean. Check out Gabby's last second fade away jumper in regulation. Is it a fade away, is it a foul, or both? It has also happened to Pheesa throughout the year. Tough call.
Agreed, but girls shouldn’t be able to walk their hands into Napheesa’s arms as she’s shooting. It happened all season. They need to protect the shooter. Simple & plain. Great season, Pheesa. Excited to see what she adds to her game this summer. We will need her to be on another level next season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Agreed, but girls shouldn’t be able to walk their hands into Napheesa’s arms as she’s shooting. It happened all season. They need to protect the shooter. Simple & plain. Great season, Pheesa. Excited to see what she adds to her game this summer. We will need her to be on another level next season.
she did a great dribble drive for 2... thought it was Gabby! Her handle is getting tighter

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom