Naming rights for XL Center expire; venue likely to change name in 2025. | The Boneyard

Naming rights for XL Center expire; venue likely to change name in 2025.

Reaction Score
Be interesting to see where Oak View takes this…

-> Weiss said the timing of the name change is ideal because it gives a new company an opportunity to associate its brand with what will soon be a newly upgraded facility.

“My hope is that within a year we'll have a new brand associated with the building,” Weiss said. <-

Reaction Score
@CL82 calling it the Excel Center was probably the last straw. Who wants to pay a lot of money for naming rights when people still have no idea what XL is? :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@CL82 calling it the Excel Center was probably the last straw. Who wants to pay a lot of money for naming rights when people still have no idea what XL is? :)
All part of the plan, my friend. All a part of the plan.

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

Reaction Score
I assume that was a speech-to-text issue, but it would be pretty funny if the new name becomes Excel Center. Get some of that Bill Gates money!!

Reaction Score
I read the article and it says that it will be called the XL center until they find a new sponsor. That’s a pretty good deal for XL. Maybe they’ll get a free year out of it and then decide to re-up. I’m not sure who will be clamoring to put their name on that building even with the upgrades.

CL82

Reaction Score
I read the article and it says that it will be called the XL center until they find a new sponsor. That’s a pretty good deal for XL. Maybe they’ll get a free year out of it and then decide to re-up. I’m not sure who will be clamoring to put their name on that building even with the upgrades.
You really don't get much value out of slapping up a name on the side of the building. You get value out of the televised games which reach many more people. Of course, if your game is being broadcast on FS1 or FS2 you're reaching less people.

Reaction Score
You really don't get much value out of slapping up a name on the side of the building. You get value out of the televised games which reach many more people. Of course, if your game is being broadcast on FS1 or FS2 you're reaching less people.
Naming a stadium and sticking with it reaches fans from all teams all year every year. Fenway Yankee Stadium Soldier Field Lambeau.

CL82

Reaction Score
Naming a stadium and sticking with it reaches fans from all teams all year every year. Fenway Yankee Stadium Soldier Field Lambeau.
Yep, but very little of that is people driving by the stadium. The vast majority of it are through media.

Reaction Score
Yep, but very little of that is people driving by the stadium. The vast majority of it are through media.
Media and just becoming customary when referring to a team’s field or arena. Mile High, although different, kept some aspect of Mile High within the drawn out verbiage when they moved into their current stadium.

Reaction Score
Let’s start a collective.

“Tonight the Villanova Wildcats are in Hartford to face the UConn Huskies here at The Boneyard.”
… And then at that point, all the fans continuously howl like a husky.

I’m in for this.

DCT

Reaction Score
Be interesting to see where Oak View takes this…

-> Weiss said the timing of the name change is ideal because it gives a new company an opportunity to associate its brand with what will soon be a newly upgraded facility.

“My hope is that within a year we'll have a new brand associated with the building,” Weiss said. <-

What happened to Veterans Memorial Coliseum??

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone could prove me wrong, but I've never understood how selling off/changing the name of your home venue makes business sense for any school/franchise. That's precious currency for your brand that you're just giving away.

(It probably matters less in UConn's case since they're split between the two venues anyway)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom