Name a song you played in the car that made your kids hate you. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Name a song you played in the car that made your kids hate you.

Reaction Score
Regarding the boss comments, I understand that like all art, musical tastes are highly subjective and personal, but to someone who grew up in central Jersey in the 60’s & 70’s, hearing someone say they don’t relate to Bruce, is like hearing someone say they don’t like pizza. (aNd ice cream for good measure)

I'm not from Jersey and I'm not that old but I agree - and flatly saying that Mellencamp (who is fine) is better than Bruce Springsteen is mind-boggling to me. But to each his own.

Anyway, my ten year old will give pretty much anything a try (unless it has profanity, in which case I'm getting reported). My 14 year old is at the stage where she reflexively hates anything I like, so if she saw her favorite band one night and I was playing their album the next morning she would immediately hate them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As the adult, car owner and the driver I never solicited my kids opinion of the music being played.

I also would need to remind Mrs. Diesel if it's too loud, you're too old. She disagreed and says it's because I'm hard of hearing.

Reaction Score
My 14 year old is at the stage where she reflexively hates anything I like, so if she saw her favorite band one night and I was playing their album the next morning she would immediately hate them.
Don't hesitate to use this tactic, when she starts dating.

Not sure its fool proof though (love is so freakin blind and ignorant).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
None. But I distinctly remember one of my kids friends in the back seat loudly stating his hatred of Atlantis bt Donovan. I told him to wait for the chorus. He wouldnt.
The wait for the chorus is always longer than I think it's going to be.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My daughter cringes any time the Beastie Boys are on.
Maybe I’m in the minority but she sounds like she has great taste.
Love the Beasties. Coincidentally, two Beasties' tracks came on my running playlist this morning: "Sure Shot" and "Intergalactic." Each came on during one of the two hills on my Sunday run and helped me push through them. I feel like I still pick up different cultural references I didn't notice before every time I hear one of their songs.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
On a family road trip I played this song for my kids. My wife was driving so there was nothing she could do about it. The kids ended up singing it all through the trip; restaurants, waiting in line at the water park, etc. She hates me to this day for it:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Beastie Boys >>> Boss > Melonhead

and for the record, i didn't flatly say that Mellencamp is better than Springsteen. i said they are equally bad, imho. but if i was forced to listen to one of them, i would probably lean toward Springsteen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Beastie Boys >>> Boss > Melonhead

and for the record, i didn't flatly say that Mellencamp is better than Springsteen. i said they are equally bad, imho. but if i was forced to listen to one of them, i would probably lean toward Springsteen.
I love all three!

Reaction Score
I used to
Love the Beasties. Coincidentally, two Beasties' tracks came on my running playlist this morning: "Sure Shot" and "Intergalactic." Each came on during one of the two hills on my Sunday run and helped me push through them. I feel like I still pick up different cultural references I didn't notice before every time I hear one of their songs.
My car got broken into way back when and one cassette was left behind. Licensed to Ill. We played it over and over and over again. The Rock N Roll HOF induction ceremony with the Beastie's tribute was excellent. Included RHCP.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Induction [HD]

Reaction Score
Van Morrison's "Moondance".... When she was a pre-teen, our oldest daughter hated it. She said Van's voice sounded "scratchy".

Reaction Score
Kids from any era. Mine are born post-2000.

Mine hate ANYTHING by the Cramps. But they especially hate Paradise by the Dashboard Light. Not even Karla DeVito saves it for them.

Your children are wise beyond their years. Last night, my wife played Paradise by the Dashboard Light on her spotify playlist. I spent five minutes telling her how much I hate it.

I have no kids of my own yet, but I hated when my parents would play 93.7, before it became the rap station in the early 2000's, pretty much regardless of the song.

As far as my specific songs that made me hate my parents when they came on:

Don't stop believing - Journey
American Pie, Pt. 1 - Don McLean (I hate this song with the fire of 10,000 suns)
Jack and Diane - John Mellencamp

Reaction Score

I didn't remember if we talked about this, but the HBO TV documentary on them is well worth the time if you haven't seen it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I didn't remember if we talked about this, but the HBO TV documentary on them is well worth the time if you haven't seen it.
I'll have to check that out

Reaction Score
My son knew all the words to Scar Tissue by the Red Hot Chili Peppers by the time he was three. He is now 20 and they are still his favorite band.

I guess this is the exact opposite of what you're asking though.
I got lucky too... my 2yo daughter loved Dire Straits, especially “Money for Nothing”, which she liked for the line about free chickens.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Nothing about music stands out, but when I drove a sea foam green Prius my then teenage son was mortified!
I had a ball with it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I got lucky
Everything I played - Grateful Dead, Stones, Who, Steely Dan, etc my kids would listen and pick out favorites
As far as their music is concerned - my son and I have identical taste. However on a trip to Florida with my twin girls in 1996 they played The Return of the Mack endlessly and I could not get it out of my head and decided to hate it. Now when I hear it I enjoy it and smile
Overall, I've been blessed - my girls will listen to anything except my jazz music
my son and I go to many concerts and festivals -an awesome experience - I wish he could have seen Jerry Garcia
The wife - its another story - strictly country................................

Reaction Score
I got lucky
Everything I played - Grateful Dead, Stones, Who, Steely Dan, etc my kids would listen and pick out favorites
As far as their music is concerned - my son and I have identical taste. However on a trip to Florida with my twin girls in 1996 they played The Return of the Mack endlessly and I could not get it out of my head and decided to hate it. Now when I hear it I enjoy it and smile
Overall, I've been blessed - my girls will listen to anything except my jazz music
my son and I go to many concerts and festivals -an awesome experience - I wish he could have seen Jerry Garcia
The wife - its another story - strictly country................................

"Country", like what passes for country music on commercial radio or real country?? ;-)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I got lucky too... my 2yo daughter loved Dire Straits, especially “Money for Nothing”, which she liked for the line about free chickens.

Mrs Diesel calls my Dire Straits and Pink Floyd the "put me to sleep music". She is strictly formulaic radio format in her music tastes.

I confirmed with both my kids they were fine with my music choices.

We used to play Big Head Todd's cover of John Lee Hookers Boom, Boom, Boom a bunch when the kids were small and they loved it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We used to play Big Head Todd's cover of John Lee Hookers Boom, Boom, Boom a bunch when the kids were small and they loved it.
Our version of this was a live version of Pass the Peas by Maceo Parker, with Dennis Chambers on drums. My daughter sill loves it.

Reaction Score

I'll stir fry you in my wok.

I can appreciate the occasional Beastie Boys song, and even Paul's Boutique as an album, but if I never heard another Beastie Boys song I wouldn't be too bummed out. Just a personal thing I guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom