Naismith Girls HS SemiFinalist. | The Boneyard

Naismith Girls HS SemiFinalist.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
C3_p8xFUEAEcd4l.jpg:large

Megan Walker makes the SemiFinalist List.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Three out of the 10 are Lady Vols. Gotta hand it to Holly, for the complete reversal of recruiting fortune.

Yup, and in 2018, she's already got commitments from post Amira Collins (Paul VI HS in Va.) and PG Jazmine Massengill (Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, Tennessee). She's getting the ingredients...let's see how the pie comes out.

Reaction Score
Three out of the 10 are Lady Vols. Gotta hand it to Holly, for the complete reversal of recruiting fortune.

Not yet. This award is for performance in HS and that doesn't always translate into college, where the game gets a lot more physical and the players get much larger. Think back to the Tenn freshman class that came in right after the 2008 championship year. Everyone was gaga in Knoxville. We know how that worked out, even with Pat at the helm. Many fans expect too much from freshmen and the LV fanbase, desperate for a return to glory, expect instant excellence from their freshmen. I predict that Holly will be sitting at several post game press conferences, shaking her head and saying that freshmen take time while her anti-fanbase build another scaffold.

Reaction Score

It may sound crazy coming from one of us, but I actually am at a point where I'm actively rooting for them. 2008 Dawson would want to slap me, because I sure hated them and their fans. I would go on the Summitt and read their posts before it went paid/private. Even though I hated them, it was way more fun than games are now.

I just want them to return to being a team that can have the slightest chance of giving the Huskies a challenge. I thought Maryland was fantastic as was Baylor this year. I've watched those two games probably 10 times each. I want that for Tennessee.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sorry to use a touchy phrase, but having Tennessee being competitive is "good for the game." Their brand is very well known and if they are back in the mix it adds excitement for the average fan who may not find the names Baylor, Maryland and Notre Dame too sexy. However, with coaches like Mulkey, Freese and McGraw how could you not consider them sexy?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not yet. This award is for performance in HS and that doesn't always translate into college, where the game gets a lot more physical and the players get much larger. Think back to the Tenn freshman class that came in right after the 2008 championship year. Everyone was gaga in Knoxville. We know how that worked out, even with Pat at the helm. Many fans expect too much from freshmen and the LV fanbase, desperate for a return to glory, expect instant excellence from their freshmen. I predict that Holly will be sitting at several post game press conferences, shaking her head and saying that freshmen take time while her anti-fanbase build another scaffold.

That's why I deliberately used the phrase "recruiting fortune." Whether Holly and staff can develop their recruits is another open question, of course. But compared to last year, when they basically struck out swinging and then had to scramble for the likes of Winthrop graduate transfer Nunn just to have another warm body, getting 3 of the top 10 HS seniors is a complete 180 on the recruiting end.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Sorry to use a touchy phrase, but having Tennessee being competitive is "good for the game." Their brand is very well known and if they are back in the mix it adds excitement for the average fan who may not find the names Baylor, Maryland and Notre Dame too sexy. However, with coaches like Mulkey, Freese and McGraw how could you not consider them sexy?

If the revival of past-their-prime WCBB blue bloods is good for the game, why can't we get that from Louisiana Tech? Oh yeah, Tyler Summitt happened.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Haeys is a finalist for Miss Basketball.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yup, and in 2018, she's already got commitments from post Amira Collins (Paul VI HS in Va.) and PG Jazmine Massengill (Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, Tennessee). She's getting the ingredients..let's see how the pie comes out.
Under baked.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
If the revival of past-their-prime WCBB blue bloods is good for the game, why can't we get that from Louisiana Tech? Oh yeah, Tyler Summitt happened.
With the emergence of SC, Maryland, MS, FS, and the continued strong play of ND, it is not necessary for the, as Plebe puts it, past-their-prime programs, Tennessee in particular, to become a factor again. Tennessee's success in the past is just that to many of today's players They don't care about their past history and WCBB will thrive without Tennessee being a big part of it, imo.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
With the emergence of SC, Maryland, MS, FS, and the continued strong play of ND, it is not necessary for the, as Plebe puts it, past-their-prime programs, Tennessee in particular, to become a factor again. Tennessee's success in the past is just that to many of today's players They don't care about their past history and WCBB will thrive without Tennessee being a big part of it, imo.

The casual fan doesn't give two craps about Maryland, SC, Baylor, ND, etc., but if you put UCONN vs UT on TV you will have a record viewership. It would be good for women's basketball. Can you imagine how many people would tune in to watch a UCONN vs UT championship game!

Plebe

Reaction Score
The casual fan doesn't give two craps about Maryland, SC, Baylor, ND, etc., but if you put UCONN vs UT on TV you will have a record viewership. It would be good for women's basketball. Can you imagine how many people would tune in to watch a UCONN vs UT championship game!

It's almost hard to believe that it's now been over 10 years since UConn and Tennessee last played. January 7, 2007, was the date, in fact.

And it really defies the odds that they haven't met in the NCAA tournament since 2004, especially when you consider that in the 12 tournaments since then, Tennessee has been in 3 Final Fours and an additional six Elite Eights, while UConn has been in every Final Four since 2008 and every Elite Eight since 2006.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Talent does not win championships coaching does. There are alot of teams out there with talent and highly ranked recruits. UConn still wins in a variety of different ways. You can out talent many teams but you cant out talent the best teams. Tenn has proven they have the talent and still underperform. Look at this season with Russell and DeShields. They shouldnt have all those losses but they do. It doesnt matter how many great players you get you need to get players you need and they need to be able to play they game. Not play their game play the game...play a team game. To many teams play one on one and look for mismatches. One on one doesnt get you championships team work does.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

It's almost hard to believe that it's now been over 10 years since UConn and Tennessee last played. January 7, 2007, was the date, in fact.

And it really defies the odds that they haven't met in the NCAA tournament since 2004, especially when you consider that in the 12 tournaments since then, Tennessee has been in 3 Final Fours and an additional six Elite Eights, while UConn has been in every Final Four since 2008 and every Elite Eight since 2006.

I was reading an article about Tiger Woods being injured (yet) again. He has not won a major since the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines in 2008, about the same amount of time that Tenn and UConn last squared off. Don't expect to see Tiger hosting any major trophies soon (if ever). Nor do I expect Tenn to be doing the same the way they're currently run.

Athleticism and one-on-one breakdowns will win you a game here or there (ND), but also let you down (VT, Georgia).

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I am excited about the class coming in. I think it will be a very good one. As for 2009 the injury to Baugh didn't help. She could have been real good. If she had only stayed healthy.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
The casual fan does not know anything about Tennessee except what they may have heard. The devoted fan may know but even to many of them that match up is a thing of the past and not necessary to bring more attention to WCBB. I know I don't care and evidently neither does Tennessee. The casual fan hears about the teams that are ranked high today and don't care about what used to be.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The casual fan does not know anything about Tennessee except what they may have heard. The devoted fan may know but even to many of them that match up is a thing of the past and not necessary to bring more attention to WCBB. I know I don't care and evidently neither does Tennessee. The casual fan hears about the teams that are ranked high today and don't care about what used to be.

UCONN vs Tennessee would be the biggest draw in women's basketball in years, period. Unless you have a name like Griner to promote the game, must casual fans still know UCONN and Tennessee to be the top names in WCBB.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It may sound crazy coming from one of us, but I actually am at a point where I'm actively rooting for them. 2008 Dawson would want to slap me, because I sure hated them and their fans. I would go on the Summitt and read their posts before it went paid/private. Even though I hated them, it was way more fun than games are now.

I just want them to return to being a team that can have the slightest chance of giving the Huskies a challenge. I thought Maryland was fantastic as was Baylor this year. I've watched those two games probably 10 times each. I want that for Tennessee.
74077129.jpg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am excited about the class coming in. I think it will be a very good one. As for 2009 the injury to Baugh didn't help. She could have been real good. If she had only stayed healthy.
If Frogs had wings, they wouldn't hit their arse ever time they jumped...I would have used the one about my aunt being my uncle if she had.... but I didn't want the mods to intervene! :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom