Naismith coach of the year finalists | The Boneyard

Naismith coach of the year finalists

Reaction Score
If UCONN wins the NC with this team, it will be one of if not Geno’s best coaching jobs. I don’t have a problem with him not being a finalist since the candidates were determined prior to the Tourney. I could have coached them to 22 of their BE wins. And, I’m still wondering why they still don’t use a peach basket for the rim.

Reaction Score
Wow, Geno has no seniors and only 3 upperclasswomen and 9 Freshmen and Sophomores, losses one game and isn't on the final list
All teams that get great freshmen have great years; it's automatic; a coach doesn't have to do anything, it just happens.

Well, there are exceptions. OK, a few exceptions. Maybe many exceptions. Well, never mind.

Seriously: to put a team on the floor game after game, with all the Covid-related complications that could be expected to especially rattle a young team, that performs consistently enough to have only a single loss, and that against a top opponent, is an immense accomplishment. We're spoiled about consistency, as is Coach, and we see poor performance on dips almost undetectable among mere mortals. IMHO there is no team that performed in such a tight range of competence overall (given normal variations from player to player) than UConn.

So far, and we'll see, that coaching performance speaks for itself and needs no formal award recognition.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm glad I don't have to vote for Coach of the Year. All of the finalists have done great jobs. I could also see Brenda Freese, who lost a lot of players, Jose Fernandez, whose team went from 13 losses to 3 and came out of nowhere to finish top-20 in the polls, Geno, Jarrod Olson of Cal Baptist whose team went from 16-15 to undefeated. If I followed the sport more closely, I could probably name a dozen more who are deserving.

Every coach has dealt with a lot this year, and every coach of a successful team has done a great job.

Reaction Score
A travesty that Geno is not included. I doubt if there’s another coach in the country who could have brought this team to where it is right now.

Reaction Score
Wow, Geno has no seniors and only 3 upperclasswomen and 9 Freshmen and Sophomores, losses one game and isn't on the final list....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

A- frickin'-men!!!! What a joke! This was an absolutely superlative job of coaching. Apparently the basketball world has come to expect the "amazing", the "can't be done!", the "how did he do that!" from Geno Auriemma. It's considered just par for the course for him, while it would warrant a unanimous coach of the year vote for anyone not named "Auriemma." What a travesty!!!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Woa, hold on everyone...TRAVESTY is a bridge too far. This is not a travesty that he was not on the final list. If anything this was an omission probably but then again, he has two #1 recruits, a #2, a #5, the top Canadian player and 2 top flight European players so its not like his cupboard was bare.

Gary took everyone's castaways and won the SEC season. Joni did a nice job after NOT doing a nice job the past few years, Tara has a dominant team and Wes is finally getting recognition. The one I would say is least deserving is Taylor but she's done a nice job this year. Geno is absolutely a victim of his own success but if he wins as much next year like he did this year, I suspect he will be rewarded.

Let's use the word "travesty" for real injustices...not omissions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom