Naas, Austin Lead UConn Into First Hockey East Game Saturday (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

Naas, Austin Lead UConn Into First Hockey East Game Saturday (M. Anthony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/colle...ey-preview-1017-20141016-story.html?track=rss

>>Growing up in the neighboring Minnesota towns of Minnetonka and St. Louis Park, just outside Minneapolis, they've skated together since they were 12 and attended the same high school, serving as senior co-captains at Benilde St. Margaret. They drove to school together every morning for the past two years. Their families are extremely close. They visited UConn together, committed at the same time and, of course, are roommates in Storrs.<<

>>"At first I was worried they were making this decision just because they're very good friends," said Ken Pauly, in his 22nd year as coach at Benilde St. Margaret. "It's also tough to put that aside. They were really excited to go out there, but I think they're even more excited to have validated the decision. To a lot of kids that age, thinking about the future means just next week. But those guys think a couple of steps ahead. They considered the long-term future of the program and really bought into [coach] Mike Cavanaugh's vision."<<

>>"The two of them kept jumping off the ice to me," Cavanaugh said. "[Pauly] told me nobody is really recruiting them. I sent [assistant Joe Pereira] out the following week, and Joe really liked them both. … The more you're out there, the more [you realize] there are a lot of good players. Sometimes you talk yourself out of recruiting a player because [you think] if no one else is recruiting them they can't be that good. But you've got to trust your eyes."<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul
Top Bottom