Mystics v. Liberty | The Boneyard

Mystics v. Liberty

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And the WNBA wonders why more fans don’t take them seriously? Tonight’s game starts with all the clocks inoperative. I might think this would be on someone’s check list before the cameras come on. I really like the WNBA, but so much of what I see (on and off court) reminds me of mediocre college games.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Twenty minutes later, and still no clocks. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Shoot:...it’s supposed to be on nbatv but it’s blacked out because of the area.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
After a half hour delay, they decide to play without clocks. This should be fun.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
After a half hour delay, they decide to play without clocks. This should be fun.

Edit... clocks seem to be working now...

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
23-22 Mystics after the 1st quarter.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Mystics up 44-39 at the half. Pretty well played first half.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
After three quarters, Mystics still lead, 65-57.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
EDD buzzer shot sinks Libz, 80-77. Terrible defense gave EDD a wide open, unguarded three shot. Ugh.

Reaction Score
0.6 seconds on the clock, and the defense leaves EDD wide open for a winning three off an inbound. Kind of personifies the season that the Liberty are having. Undisciplined in general and unfocussed often for long stretches. Example... about mid-way through the second half, with the Liberty down six or eight, Rodgers has the ball literally half-way between the center-court line and the three-point arc, with eight seconds on the shot clock. Rather than try to work the ball in for a decent look, she immediately heaves a shot from right there, which naturally misses. Ridiculous.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had pooh poohed Lambeer as a coach and was not always impressed with the job he did (playoff efforts for example) but seeing the Liberty now, I take it back. :(

Reaction Score
BostonC, I came to the exact same conclusion last night. During the game last night I said to myself, the Liberty must have practiced as they were moving with a purpose and getting baskets. Then, that disappeared, and unfocused, not smart play ensued. Simply they do not play smart and are unfocused.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
EDD buzzer shot sinks Libz, 80-77. Terrible defense gave EDD a wide open, unguarded three shot. Ugh.

The Liberty are terrible this year, and are fading fast. They'll be a "lottery pick "team next year. They can't score, and they can't stop anybody else from scoring. To your point, you can't allow EDD to have a wide open "catch & shoot" look at the basket with .06 secs left. She's going to knock that shot down 8 of 10 times. The Liberty played well enough to win that one. They missed a lot of easy shots. The Liberty are in 11th place at 4-10. They should be 10-4. Only the lowly Indiana Fever (1-14) has a worst record than them. SMH. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Last year Kiah Stokes had a double double early in the year before Via Vaughn got back from overseas. The other team stifled Tina with double/triple teams that forced a dish to Kiah. The result was wonderful and I thought a preview of the future.
Last night I remember one play where Tina from the foul line dished to Kia Vaughn on the block for an easy basket. The key words are one play. Either Washington took that away or Libs stopped thinking about that success. SMH.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm a HUGE Kiah Stokes/NY Liberty fan. You're preaching to the choir. I've tried to keep track of her progress during the off season when she's overseas. I know the competition is not the same, but she seems to have no problem scoring and rebounding in double figures most games. I've been waiting for her to have the same success with the Liberty that she's been having abroad.

There's no reason she can't give the Liberty a double double every game. I look at players like Nneka (7.4 rpg) & Chiney Ogwumike (8.1 rpg), Jessica Breland (8.1 rpg), Natalie Achonwa (7.7 rpg), etc, who most of which have smaller body types, yet score and rebound better than she does. Kiah is 3.9 rpg. She's not an offensive threat when she's on the floor. Teams know that, and play off of her. She sets screens, and keeps the ball moving if it's passed to her. She seldom looks for her shot.

I look at her box score after most games. Her shot attempts are usually 4 or less. She's still my girl, but it makes me wonder when things are going to change...........perhaps a change of venue? It worked for Lindsey Allen (cut from New York, now starting for the Aces), and Courtney Williams (USF) traded from Phoenix (couldn't get off the bench) now starting for Connecticut. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I had a front row view of last night's game. To the Liberty's credit, it was a very tight game. Other than that, there is very few positive takeaways. With four UConn Huskies and two Rutgers Scarlet Knights, I really want to like them.
Tina Charles has to work far too hard to get good looks. She needs players around her who can space the floor.

I do not like this team at all.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I had a front row view of last night's game. To the Liberty's credit, it was a very tight game. Other than that, there is very few positive takeaways. With four UConn Huskies and two Rutgers Scarlet Knights, I really want to like them.
Tina Charles has to work far too hard to get good looks. She needs players around her who can space the floor.

I do not like this team at all.

I watched the entire game live on ESPN. I didn't like what I saw either. :mad:

Reaction Score
......perhaps a change of venue? It worked for Lindsey Allen (cut from New York, now starting for the Aces), and Courtney Williams (USF) traded from Phoenix (couldn't get off the bench) now starting for Connecticut. :eek:

The whole Courtney Williams thing with Phoenix has me shaking my head to this day. I remember attending a game in Phoenix early in her rookie year when I think she saw all of a minute thirty of playing time. This, the same player who single-handedly had Stewie and the Huskies down by a point or two at half-time during the 2016 season-finale in Storrs. Thank goodness for all concerned she got traded to Connecticut.

I'm not really a fan of Sandy Brondello. I think Brittney Griner is the most underachieving player in the entire WNBA, year in an year out, for example. I have never understood why they insist on positioning her out beyond the elbow at the start of most sets. Brondello is just too buddy-buddy with her team now, and seems unwilling or unable to demand adjustments and accountability for a group so good they can get by on talent alone.

So yes, a change in venue can make all the difference. Last season, it looked like Stokes was finally putting behind her some of the offensive passivity she was known for in college. Unfortunately, this season she seems to have fallen back into her comfort zone.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom