Mystics on the move! Sign Toliver | The Boneyard

Mystics on the move! Sign Toliver

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Why would this signal early exits to the WNBA?

To me:

LA has the #4 pick in the draft. Losing a guard like Toliver makes me wonder if say someone like Kelsey Mitchell may come out early or say Lexie Brown forgoes her senior year. Just speculation on my part but with all these high profile trades, gotta think the GMs have first hand knowledge of who may be coming out early.

Many of the 2013 class transferred (especially at the top) and they are by all means eligible to leave early. Do they?? We will have to wait and see.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope that no one leaves "early". I can understand someone like Morgan foregoing her 4th year of hoops eligibility because she'd already been in college for 4 years. Players like Deshields, Russell, Gray, Davis, etc. will be in a similar situation after this year - players who either transferred, or sat out a year due to injuries, would be great candidates to jump... but I hope that regular players do not leave after their 3rd year of college...

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
I hope that no one leaves "early". I can understand someone like Morgan foregoing her 4th year of hoops eligibility because she'd already been in college for 4 years. Players like Deshields, Russell, Gray, Davis, etc. will be in a similar situation after this year - players who either transferred, or sat out a year due to injuries, would be great candidates to jump... but I hope that regular players do not leave after their 3rd year of college...

I do like to see players complete college. However this is speculation that Kelsey Mitchell is set to graduate in summer and will be coming out early. Not sure if its true but its the word on the street!

HGN

Reaction Score
Kristi Tolliver is essentially coming back home to Maryland.....her alma mater. She has accomplished much. A National Championship and WNBA honors as well. Why not go back and finish up her career near her home and alma mater? Now with EDD , Toliver , Messeman , Cloud , Latta , and the N0. 6 pick , etc.

LOOK OUT FOR THE WASHINGTON MYSTICS !

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That is a big loss for Los Angeles. I thought they were a title contender only when they got solid play from Nneka, Candace, and Kristi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kristi Tolliver is essentially coming back home to Maryland.....her alma mater. She has accomplished much. A National Championship and WNBA honors as well. Why not go back and finish up her career near her home and alma mater? Now with EDD , Toliver , Messeman , Cloud , Latta , and the N0. 6 pick , etc.

LOOK OUT FOR THE WASHINGTON MYSTICS !
Ivory had a poor year last year, perhaps due to injury. But she was very good for a couple of years before that. Tayler Hill looks like a budding star.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Alexis Jones may end up in LA.

Quite possibly yes. As stated above I think the GMs know which players are possibly coming out. The class is not guard dominant unless you have players like DeShields, Gray, Davis, Brown exiting early. They may have or may graduate by the time the draft comes around.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To me:

LA has the #4 pick in the draft. Losing a guard like Toliver makes me wonder if say someone like Kelsey Mitchell may come out early or say Lexie Brown forgoes her senior year. Just speculation on my part but with all these high profile trades, gotta think the GMs have first hand knowledge of who may be coming out early.

Many of the 2013 class transferred (especially at the top) and they are by all means eligible to leave early. Do they?? We will have to wait and see.

I'm a Sparks fan. This is horrible news. Kristi was our #1 starting point guard, and our best 3 point shooter. I can only assume that the Sparks front office has some contingencies in place (I sure hope so). :confused:
We need a point guard that can run the floor, defend and can shoot!!! I guess Toliver wanted to get closer to home. We enjoyed the time she spent with us. She was one of my favorites. Go Sparks. :)

Reaction Score
I remember the time I was sitting at courtside at a DC game and Kristi came to the corner of the court right in front of me and spat out a huge noogie right on the floor in front of everybody...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me:

Tolliver was a free agent so I'm not sure the Sparks GM had any say in the matter. Chelsea Gray played surprisingly well for Sparks making Toliver somewhat expendable. Diamond could also be in the mix as a replacement.

Reaction Score
I'm a Sparks fan. This is horrible news. Kristi was our #1 starting point guard, and our best 3 point shooter. I can only assume that the Sparks front office has some contingencies in place (I sure hope so). :confused:
We need a point guard that can run the floor, defend and can shoot!!! I guess Toliver wanted to get closer to home. We enjoyed the time she spent with us. She was one of my favorites. Go Sparks. :)
They will certainly miss her scoring because she was their best shooter. However as a point guard she left much to be desired. She was a shooting guard playing point. She wasn't really that good of a defender along with often making bone head decisions with the ball. The team had better ball movement when she was not at the point. This is why they had Gray at point during the close of games during the playoffs. They will miss Toliver's outside shooting because she did bring that dynamic when she was on the floor. They still need to come up with another point because if Gray moves up who will replace Gray as the back up. Their depth served the Sparks well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Tolliver was a free agent so I'm not sure the Sparks GM had any say in the matter. Chelsea Gray played surprisingly well for Sparks making Toliver somewhat expendable. Diamond could also be in the mix as a replacement.

Excellent observation Coco!! Since late December, I've been saying that DeShields was coming out. I don't know where she's going, but somebody WILL draft her in the first round. She has moxie and a skill set that will easily translate to the W. Anyone that thinks she's coming back for her "Red-shirt senior" year with Tennessee is dreaming. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I remember the time I was sitting at courtside at a DC game and Kristi came to the corner of the court right in front of me and spat out a huge noogie right on the floor in front of everybody....

Don't hate Stiper, you should have come to her aid and offered her your hanky. Not for her pleasure, but for those around you. I bet people kept looking at it. :( How long did the ushers let it remain there? :confused:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
They will certainly miss her scoring because she was their best shooter. However as a point guard she left much to be desired. She was a shooting guard playing point. She wasn't really that good of a defender along with often making bone head decisions with the ball. The team had better ball movement when she was not at the point. This is why they had Gray at point during the close of games during the playoffs. They will miss Toliver's outside shooting because she did bring that dynamic when she was on the floor. They still need to come up with another point because if Gray moves up who will replace Gray as the back up. Their depth served the Sparks well.

With the 4th pick, there will still be some point guards left on the board. The Sparks will have only 1 chance to get it right. I hope they do. I would be extremely excited if they drafted Kelsey Plum (Washington) if she's still there after the 3rd pick. She's a balla. Girlie can shoot. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom