My View | The Boneyard

My View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I came on this board a few weeks back proclaiming that the University was heading to the ACC. Why? Sources within the athletic program that are very close to all negotiations. I know for a fact the ACC had an offer to UConn. What happened? I don't know. Was it pulled? Did we decline? I have no idea. It's radio silence out of Storrs. No information is being communicated and it's getting old.

As someone who cares about this university so deeply. has invested not only time, but money into this school, it is time for someone to stand up for ourselves. We should be out there demanding the respect UConn deserves. Not living every day with artlices and the like that 'UConn is dead' or 'UConn is left out.' No - this is the University of Connecticut and we are one of the top 10 athletic departments in the country top to bottom. No one can offer the athletic success and academic combination that we do.

The lack of communication coming from the leaders is troublesome. What is going on? Back door deals to the B1G? One should hope so. If not, this university and athletic department will not be able to sustain itself. The investments being made for academics? What is going to pay for that? The school is in a position where it will go broke before they start making money. Ticket prices can be raised, but no one will buy. Tulane? I'd like my breakfast back.

It's the responsibility of our leaders to put the institution in the best position to succeed, if that means no public communication, fine, but don't let the media stomp all over the product that has been created through so much hard work, dedication and blood sweat and tears that those who have walked into Gampel, Rentschler and the XL Center go all for naught.

This is Connecticut! Either stand up for what this University is or get out. There are much better business leaders that could handle this situation and your time is running short.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No way the invitation was declined. Although the longer I see Suzie and Warde in action, anything is possible.

Reaction Score
I came on this board a few weeks back proclaiming that the University was heading to the ACC. Why? Sources within the athletic program that are very close to all negotiations. I know for a fact the ACC had an offer to UConn. What happened? I don't know. Was it pulled? Did we decline? I have no idea. It's radio silence out of Storrs. No information is being communicated and it's getting old.

As someone who cares about this university so deeply. has invested not only time, but money into this school, it is time for someone to stand up for ourselves. We should be out there demanding the respect UConn deserves. Not living every day with artlices and the like that 'UConn is dead' or 'UConn is left out.' No - this is the University of Connecticut and we are one of the top 10 athletic departments in the country top to bottom. No one can offer the athletic success and academic combination that we do.

The lack of communication coming from the leaders is troublesome. What is going on? Back door deals to the B1G? One should hope so. If not, this university and athletic department will not be able to sustain itself. The investments being made for academics? What is going to pay for that? The school is in a position where it will go broke before they start making money. Ticket prices can be raised, but no one will buy. Tulane? I'd like my breakfast back.

It's the responsibility of our leaders to put the institution in the best position to succeed, if that means no public communication, fine, but don't let the media stomp all over the product that has been created through so much hard work, dedication and blood sweat and tears that those who have walked into Gampel, Rentschler and the XL Center go all for naught.

This is Connecticut! Either stand up for what this University is or get out. There are much better business leaders that could handle this situation and your time is running short.

PS - perception is everything in this day and age. Say something over and over again and people start to believe it. The media blasting this school should be the first thing our leaders defend. If a recruit hears UConn is no longer relevant every day, they will start to believe it. The media is beginning to diminish this university and our leaders are sitting back and taking it. There's only so many jabs someone can take without hitting back before they are knocked out for the count.

Reaction Score

for someone with an inside source, you say some incredibly crazy things.

"The investments being made for academics? What is going to pay for that? The school is in a position where it will go broke before they start making money. Ticket prices can be raised, but no one will buy. Tulane? I'd like my breakfast back."

Are you under the impression that athletics money pays for these things?

Let me put it to you this way: if the AD was eliminated tomorrow, UConn could go ahead with the academic build out.

Reaction Score

"The investments being made for academics? What is going to pay for that? The school is in a position where it will go broke before they start making money. Ticket prices can be raised, but no one will buy. Tulane? I'd like my breakfast back."

Let me put it to you this way: if the AD was eliminated tomorrow, UConn could go ahead with the academic build out.

Without athletics, they wouldn't be in the position to add the things they are talking about adding. So yes - athletics money helps pay for these things.

F

fortebleedsblue

PS - perception is everything in this day and age. Say something over and over again and people start to believe it. The media blasting this school should be the first thing our leaders defend. If a recruit hears UConn is no longer relevant every day, they will start to believe it. The media is beginning to diminish this university and our leaders are sitting back and taking it. There's only so many jabs someone can take without hitting back before they are knocked out for the count.

X 1000000 .... Uconn is getting shat on by the media. We went from a power house program to being considered garbage has beens... Who's damn fault is that? Villes leaders and coaches were actively tweeting and boasting ville who has rebuilt itself from the ground up. That takes leadership ... Play the victim card for Herbst and Manuel all you want the ownsus right now is on them ... It comes with the territory. They need to sell Uconn. Stop monitoring and being that reject kid in the corner of the cafeteria who lurks on everyone at lunch and step up to the cut throat back stabbing cool kid table and be relevant.

F

fortebleedsblue

Don't fool yourself.. How relevant was Uconn enrollment wise before Calhoun?

Reaction Score
I emailed warde this morning a letter that mentioned 90% of your concerns. I did not touch on the acadmic build up, but did question how the hockey east build up will occur.

Reaction Score
Don't fool yourself.. How relevant was Uconn enrollment wise before Calhoun?

Every public school in the country has experienced double digit application increases year-over-year for a decade now. Why? Skyrocketing private tuitions, electronic multiple apps. There are a lot of non-athletics schools ramping up academics and rising in the rankings, while schools like Rutgers and Syracuse drop precipitously. Boston U. dropped football and joined the AAU.

Reaction Score
Without athletics, they wouldn't be in the position to add the things they are talking about adding. So yes - athletics money helps pay for these things.

Explain. They are getting a state budget cut of $16 million this year. The new hires are happening on the back of budget cuts (and probably the elimination) of academic departments plus higher tuition. They could do that with or without athletics.

They are NOT getting support from the state for these measures. The SUNYs (which don't have sports) get more support from NY than UConn gets from Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I looked at UConn's Board of Trustees this morning http://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/members/BOT_Members_09.26.12.pdf

I was surprised to see the Governor's representative to the Board no other than the notorious Mary Ann Handley. You may remember her as the one that led the uproar against Jim Calhoun after his little tiff with the idiot "reporter" Ken Krayeske. I don't think Handley is friendly to UConn Athletics and of all the people Malloy could pick to represent him, he chose her. I wonder just how the Board is reacting to this nightmare UConn finds itself in, if at all.

Reaction Score

If we did have an offer, I'd really like to know what happened. Time for some our sports writers to do some digging and get the facts.

Reaction Score
I looked at UConn's Board of Trustees this morning http://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/members/BOT_Members_09.26.12.pdf

I was surprised to see the Governor's representative to the Board no other than the notorious Mary Ann Handley. You may remember her as the one that led the uproar against Jim Calhoun after his little tiff with the idiot "reporter" Ken Krayeske. I don't think Handley is friendly to UConn Athletics and of all the people Malloy could pick to represent him, he chose her. I wonder just how the Board is reacting to this nightmare UConn finds itself in, if at all.

Someone is paying for those boxes at the Rent. I'm guessing it's insurance companies and the like. Think they haven't put in a call to Malloy?

Reaction Score
Someone is paying for those boxes at the Rent. I'm guessing it's insurance companies and the like. Think they haven't put in a call to Malloy?

No time like the present! I hope you're right.

Reaction Score
We never had an offer. We had what we perceived to be an offer - much like when people say that you should never give your two week notice at work until you have actually signed the dotted line on the offer letter for the new place of employment, yet some people do it anyways and it can backfire.

What troubles me so much is that while this fanbase over the past couple of weeks can be viewed by the administration as "irrational", they have YET to make a decision of any relevance (for better or worse). With so much changing in college athletics and with UConn in need of change, WM needs to just make some sort of a big boy decision very soon.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, extending Ollie at the current moment can be perceived as weak but let something leak in the coming week(s) of hints towards which way WM is leaning. A team coming off of a Fiesta Bowl appearance just went 5-7 in two consecutive seasons and nothing has been done about it perception wise. Either WM is working on one hell of a deal with the BiG where we all look like fools or its time to finally put on the big boy pants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom