My view of last night | The Boneyard

My view of last night

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have to say that both UConn and MSU played great games. Wonderful to watch.

As I have always said, I am genuinely neutral in most UConn games, and this was another one of those. Since I wasn't "rooting", I could just sit back and enjoy.

But what was different - I could think of reasons why either team winning would be the "best" result. On the one hand, continuing the winning streak would have brought additional publicity to WBB. OTH, that some team could play well enough to beat the best team in the land is reassuring to fans of other programs.

That said, I expect that you will be starting a new streak in the near future. You look loaded for next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
KnoghtsBridge - thanks.
I think all in all, the benefit of the streak ending is probably good for WCBB - if next year's team is as good as we believe it can be, having a streak topping 150 would both becoming less and less noteworthy, and fuel the there is no competition dismissiveness of casual non-fans.

As for refs who come in for a lot of well earned criticism in WCBB, with the exception maybe of a few of the first round games, I think the officiating through 62 games of the tournament so far has been solid. And I really dislike the idea that is often expressed on fan boards including this one that 'Obviously the _________ want some team to advance' where the blank is the NCAA, the officials, the media, or whatever. they wanted a TX team in Dallas, they wanted a one seed to advance is just partisanship for or against one of the teams involved.

Mississippi State has won two overtime games, well officiated and very competitive. The officials were not the reason for the results which were decided on the court by the players and coaches.

Reaction Score
Much as losing hurt and I wish I was gearing up to watch UConn tonight, I've been thinking about the big picture. Suppose UConn had won it all this year and then gone on to win at least through Lou and Pheesa's senior year. I don't think it would be good for any sport to have the same team win National titles 7 years in a row.

Six out of seven sounds pretty good though:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say they played great games. It took the winning team 45 minutes of basketball to score 66 points. The game featured a lot of fouls, dribbling out the shot clock on offense, turnovers, and missed bunnies. It was typical ugly SEC style of play that if not for it being a national semi-final would be a turn off for the casual viewer.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Not great games at all, at least for UConn. Maybe you had to be here to see it, but they were unbelievably far from their regular game , right from the start. The SEC style, which is slow and ugly, prevailed. It was a victory by a team that came into the game with a strategy tailored to beat a specific team's style, versus a team that had won 100 percent of it's games and saw no need to change anything.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yeah. Not great games at all, at least for UConn. Maybe you had to be here to see it, but they were unbelievably far from their regular game , right from the start. The SEC style, which is slow and ugly, prevailed. It was a victory by a team that came into the game with a strategy tailored to beat a specific team's style, versus a team that had won 100 percent of it's games and saw no need to change anything.
Believe me when I tell you that it is a great game when it is so highly competitive and the basketball is respectable. I have seen some unwatchable games (every RU game I saw this season, for example). I have seen UConn play at their best (briefly) several times this year and I know that that wasn't it. But while I appreciate the brand of basketball UConn plays, it isn't necessary for the teams to be polished to enjoy the game. Just look like they know how to play and have some idea of what strategy they are trying to follow and I'm good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom