My takeaways from yesterday's game | The Boneyard

My takeaways from yesterday's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I was unable to watch the game live, but watched the replay last night. Came away with mixed feelings, like most everybody else.

1. I still think that Bill Walton is the worst basketball commentator ever to actually get a paying gig doing it. I think I'd rather listen to Dookie V, Fudgie and Doris in a three way clusterpluck of idiotic commentary than sit through Walton's ramblings. Luckily, I have a mute button.
  2. I'm impressed with Durham's skill level. We might be playing with fire putting minutes on his knees at this point, but we have little choice in the matter with all our current injuries, and he's shown some serious skills and more importantly, court awareness and BBall IQ in those minutes.
  3. Praying for Enoch to make even a 20-25% improvement in his defensive awareness, because his offensive skills and rebounding abilities would be very beneficial if he could just play D well enough to justify keeping him on the floor.
  4. Jalen's been great the last 3 halves. He plays better when he plays a little selfish. None of the indecisiveness we saw when he was playing with a 2nd point on the floor. Seems like he's got to put himself in the position of unquestioned leader/decision maker, and just let his instincts take over.
  5. Wonderful to see Rodney's shot start to fall. Maybe he just needed to get past the anticlimactic OKST game to get his head back where it needs to be.
  6. I think I see a little more commitment to grabbing the occasional defensive board on the part of Mr. Brimah the last game or two.
    I think.
  7. Facey seems to be rounding into what we expect -- 10 to 15 minutes of 6 point 4 rebound potential. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a 15 and 8 night somewhere along the line when Brimah's in foul trouble. Not something you could ever count on from him, but I think he does have it in him. Unfortunately, he also has the potential for a 0 and 2 night with 4 TOs and 5 fouls.
  8. I will be surprised if we see Larrier and/or Alterique on the court again this year. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless. I think we come out of this season though, with some seriously experienced guys who might not otherwise have gotten many minutes. I do believe that Diarra starts to get some burn come league play, but the others might go the medical redshirt route.

Reaction Score
I think you are exactly right on Durham and Enoch (I did see some real skills with SE ... and not just because he made a few hoops and the dunk went down). Purvis is as spotty a player as ever; I do think he is a guy that can get on a nice 5 game run ... so that's a reason to keep playing him 25-30. But do not expect "alpha". I hope you are wrong on Larrier and Diarra and Gilbert; we are going to increasingly see time given to guys who otherwise would not have many minutes at all. Unfortunately, like with Wagner-Northeaster, Chaminade we needed 5 6-0 to 6-4 guys instead of the four 6-10 to 7 foot guy.

Jalen Adams will play more confident and better after these two games.

All of this does lead to a more robust lineup for next year. UNLIKE that ESPN guy Metcalf, I think Kevin Ollie is bringing in some real talent. Like our last 27 years, we do not get top 30 often. But we get kids that are National and can play.

Reaction Score
Vital is a pleasant surprise. He will be starting in 3 years regardless of what super recruits come along. In fact him and AG together as Seniors (if AG stays) could turn into one of our best backcourts ever. I'm really high on him and with Ollie tutoring him he will excel.

Of all the players he should benefit the most from our depletion. The guy is not shy and gives 100%. Nothing to complain about with this 'freshman'. Good Get!

Same can be said about Vance, another wonderful get. Its early for both but with Larrier and AG out these two filled in admirably. Without the two of them we could be winless. Vance is another young player who is not shy and I see is attacking the rim more often, creating another dimension to his game. His size is his strength. He just looks ready.

So until Larrier returns, Vance is a more than suitable backup. Remember for years we were barren at the 3 with only true wing or small forward. This season is different and it couldn't have happened at a better time.

Anyway we have house money this year with our freshman and I hope Ollie uses them liberally and without hesitation, including Durham. He and Enoch looked pretty good together on the floor yesterday. As soon as Durham gains confidence and familiarity with D1 play (and speed) and starts hitting his outside shot, we will have a good one and perhaps our best player in terms of potential.

I like our youth including Enoch and Jalen. Consequently I like this squad and look forward to watching them play this difficult season.

Patience required with this group with a lean towards next season. The reality in this early going is that this appears to be a rebuilding year gaining experience and confidence.

So all this fan wants to see going forward is 100% effort. Let me say UConn basketball is coming back to where we belong! Long term we're looking good folks.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was unable to watch the game live, but watched the replay last night. Came away with mixed feelings, like most everybody else.

1. I still think that Bill Walton is the worst basketball commentator ever to actually get a paying gig doing it. I think I'd rather listen to Dookie V, Fudgie and Doris in a three way clusterpluck of idiotic commentary than sit through Walton's ramblings. Luckily, I have a mute button.
  2. I'm impressed with Durham's skill level. We might be playing with fire putting minutes on his knees at this point, but we have little choice in the matter with all our current injuries, and he's shown some serious skills and more importantly, court awareness and BBall IQ in those minutes.
  3. Praying for Enoch to make even a 20-25% improvement in his defensive awareness, because his offensive skills and rebounding abilities would be very beneficial if he could just play D well enough to justify keeping him on the floor.
  4. Jalen's been great the last 3 halves. He plays better when he plays a little selfish. None of the indecisiveness we saw when he was playing with a 2nd point on the floor. Seems like he's got to put himself in the position of unquestioned leader/decision maker, and just let his instincts take over.
  5. Wonderful to see Rodney's shot start to fall. Maybe he just needed to get past the anticlimactic OKST game to get his head back where it needs to be.
  6. I think I see a little more commitment to grabbing the occasional defensive board on the part of Mr. Brimah the last game or two.
    I think.
  7. Facey seems to be rounding into what we expect -- 10 to 15 minutes of 6 point 4 rebound potential. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a 15 and 8 night somewhere along the line when Brimah's in foul trouble. Not something you could ever count on from him, but I think he does have it in him. Unfortunately, he also has the potential for a 0 and 2 night with 4 TOs and 5 fouls.
  8. I will be surprised if we see Larrier and/or Alterique on the court again this year. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless. I think we come out of this season though, with some seriously experienced guys who might not otherwise have gotten many minutes. I do believe that Diarra starts to get some burn come league play, but the others might go the medical redshirt route.
Totally agree with Rodney being distracted and emotional (understandably so) about the OKST game. It's over and he can just ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom