My Take vs SC (Most Won't Like It) | The Boneyard

My Take vs SC (Most Won't Like It)

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, the Huskies deserved the victory, mostly because of the play of Gabby and Pheesa. If Gabby starts hitting that 15 footer around the free throw line, she will be absolutely unstoppable. In the 2nd half, Gabby took over the game by sheer will, determination, and hustle. People often say U Conn wins because they get all the best players. I think this is absurd. They get kids like Gabby who turn into the best players because they want it more than anyone else on the floor.

I now see why Geno can be so hard on Lou. I have stated before that Lou is my favorite player mostly because she is from CA and her high school and mine have a history. I also know she has been under the weather and hasn't missed a game. I am not questioning her mental toughness, her desire, or her ability to play through pain and fatigue. What I think Lou may lack, at this point in her career, is fearlessness.

Yes, she got a black eye. Yes, she has been roughed up. Despite this, (and I have seen every game this season) it appears to me that Lou wants to play basketball in a very clean way. Play fundamentally sound defense, pass to open teammates, hit open shots, and show Geno and the country you can drive and score. Gabby comes at teams like a bad ass. Lou often plays like I want to go out there and protect her. Despite the fact that she got an offense rebound last night (breaking her streak of not getting one since 7th grade, a Geno quote), she had 2 rebounds on the night. Dangerfield had as many rebounds as Lou. Chong ended with 3 rebounds.

Rarely do I see Lou mix it up like Gabby. It doesn't mean Gabby wants it more, I just think, right now, Gabby is willing to do anything, including putting everything in harms way, to help the team. I don't see Lou at that point yet. Geno is constantly talking to the press about getting Lou to do the things she isn't comfortable with and that will transform her from a good player to a great one. Right now, she isn't comfortable with physicality and playing fearless.

The blueprint has been set. Gabby and Pheesa bailed out the Huskies this time. Maybe, at tournament time, its those two who are in foul trouble. Lou needs to figure out how to play with a little "nasty" and with total abandon..

Reaction Score
Nah....I thought the same thing before this season started. She has proved time and time again. She's still young and still learning how to respond to the different ways she's being defended. But I see her nasty and fight all the time. She's good.

Reaction Score
Interesting post. Lou definitely had an off game but she was battling under the boards throughout in the game I saw, particularly the last quarter. Not perfect but kept several of the SC bigs from offensive rebounds and had a critical offensive rebound at crunch time. After watching game a second time, surprised that there are few posts about the way Lou was mugged throughout game with only one foul I saw called. Most of her 25+ point games past year came at critical times when she was grabbed, punched, and held. With her performance year to date, picking on one game would be similar to saying Gabby has limited skills based on the game Geno benched her for half.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I agree that SC shut down Lou with a physical style of defense that she had trouble handling. But Lou has already made tremendous progress in her game with her drives to the basket and her many stunning left-handed layups, things she didn't do her freshman year. I think she will continue to get better and will learn to deal with physical defense. That's why Geno is so tough on her. He recognizes her huge potential. Stewie had trouble with physical play her freshman year, and it worked out okay for her.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She was one of the points of emphasis for a very good SC team and not just after she caught the ball. She's not at a point in her career where nothing you throw at her matters. She'll get there though.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
They're different kinds of players. I think we all understand that. It's a long season. When one player is off the others pick up the slack. Gabby just got benched recently for not playing up to her ability. In that game other players took care of business.

Reaction Score
With all due repeat to the OP, I don't think this post would have been written after the MD game where Lou was fearless. Lou got beat up last night and the refs ought to be required to review the game tape and send her an apology. Was she either taken off her game and/or had an off game? Sure.
Doesn't that happen to everyone at some point? Sure
Lou is a unique talent that has an offensive repertoire seldom found in 6'3" college sophomores. However, she is a finesse player and not a physical player. She's more George Gervin than Charles Oakley. Will her overall game including rebounding continue to grow? It will.
IMO , you can't teach the things she is really good at. Some of the finer points of the game( rebounding/finding the open man when covered) can be taught. The important thing is that she appears to have the desire to make those improvements

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Unlike mixed martial arts, basketball requires one team to put a ball in a basket more times than the opponents do.

Lou happens to be very proficient at that.

Gabby can do some things Lou can`t, and visa versa. Same comment re Kevin McHale and Larry Bird.

She is also tougher than you think she is.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
SC had her scouted perfectly as Lawson talked about in the telecast. She still managed to break free for several wide open looks. I wonder if the OP would have had the same opinion if those shots would have fallen. Other than SMU, Lou has not shot well of late. That has nothing to do with her toughness. I don't think teams are going to play off Lou to focus on Gabby and Collier. The shot will come back and the dialogue will change.

Reaction Score
Lou had a bad game, she's actually had several over the past six (6) or so regardless of the amount of points she scored. I've remarked about her appearance and what appears to be a lack of energy in a couple of other posts previously. I think this is more than just a cold, however I do think it has something to do with her seemingly lack of effort and/or fearlessness. As @rugbymate stated above (and I've posted previously), Lou is a finesse player. She's never going to get in there consistently and bang elbows and bodies with anyone for a rebound. Never gonna happen! Additionally, when you have a Gabhy and Pheesa it really isn't necessary. Lou is much too valuable to be knocked out or seriously injured crashing the boards for a couple of additional rebounds or scrapping on the floor for a loose ball. That's not n ow, nofr will it ever be her game. C'mon haters, try to see the big picture here.

Again, I think Lou is not nearly 100% healthy and hasn't been for weeks (if not the entire season). Based on this belief, I think she holds back doing some of the things she might do otherwise. I think she's saving energy for her offensive game. I may be in the minority, but I'm generally satisfied with that based on the outstanding teammates she's surrounded by. I do wish she would take the time to set her feet, square her shoulders and return to shooting her 3s in rhythm.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, the Huskies deserved the victory, mostly because of the play of Gabby and Pheesa. If Gabby starts hitting that 15 footer around the free throw line, she will be absolutely unstoppable. In the 2nd half, Gabby took over the game by sheer will, determination, and hustle. People often say U Conn wins because they get all the best players. I think this is absurd. They get kids like Gabby who turn into the best players because they want it more than anyone else on the floor.

I now see why Geno can be so hard on Lou. I have stated before that Lou is my favorite player mostly because she is from CA and her high school and mine have a history. I also know she has been under the weather and hasn't missed a game. I am not questioning her mental toughness, her desire, or her ability to play through pain and fatigue. What I think Lou may lack, at this point in her career, is fearlessness.

Yes, she got a black eye. Yes, she has been roughed up. Despite this, (and I have seen every game this season) it appears to me that Lou wants to play basketball in a very clean way. Play fundamentally sound defense, pass to open teammates, hit open shots, and show Geno and the country you can drive and score. Gabby comes at teams like a bad ass. Lou often plays like I want to go out there and protect her. Despite the fact that she got an offense rebound last night (breaking her streak of not getting one since 7th grade, a Geno quote), she had 2 rebounds on the night. Dangerfield had as many rebounds as Lou. Chong ended with 3 rebounds.

Rarely do I see Lou mix it up like Gabby. It doesn't mean Gabby wants it more, I just think, right now, Gabby is willing to do anything, including putting everything in harms way, to help the team. I don't see Lou at that point yet. Geno is constantly talking to the press about getting Lou to do the things she isn't comfortable with and that will transform her from a good player to a great one. Right now, she isn't comfortable with physicality and playing fearless.

The blueprint has been set. Gabby and Pheesa bailed out the Huskies this time. Maybe, at tournament time, its those two who are in foul trouble. Lou needs to figure out how to play with a little "nasty" and with total abandon..
Almost every top player foR Uconn was physically abused---some took it better than others---Maya a nice young lady--was offended and had trouble early on with being used for a ping pong ball. DT handled it best but not perfect--she retaliated--at games end she would physically pound, or otherwise perform an attack on her abuser. Stewie was taken out of the game for nearly a full season--before Geno gave her ultimatums.
I'm a bit offended that people think Katie Lou is less of a ball player or gutsy kid because she is being abused--constantly. Katie lLou\
is as tough as they come. Who else in the history of Uconn played and puked during timeouts or stoppage in the game?? That is REALLY REAlLY tough. She was supposed to be out of the SMU game for illness--do you really think the effects of an illness goes out of your body in ONE day?? She looked terrible at the beginning of USC game. She didn't score 20 point--but she distracted 2 or 3 and sometimes 5 USC players so Gabby or Napheesa could score or rebound. She was knocked on her behind a half dozen times--punched in the belly without a call. Which one of you would put up with that crap without slugging some one?? You can bet you daddy's new car that she wanted to---that too my friend is toughness---She isn't the nice Valley girl wanting to play old time 6 on 6 girly girl games
She signed up to play for the toughest coach in WBB --bar none. Sure every kid, except Kia, would love to play a game without all the abusive physical contact--who wouldn't.\
When you can match her toughness ---stand up and talk about this young lady--until then --think of what you say????

Reaction Score

Almost every top player foR Uconn was physically abused---some took it better than others---Maya a nice young lady--was offended and had trouble early on with being used for a ping pong ball. DT handled it best but not perfect--she retaliated--at games end she would physically pound, or otherwise perform an attack on her abuser. Stewie was taken out of the game for nearly a full season--before Geno gave her ultimatums.
I'm a bit offended that people think Katie Lou is less of a ball player or gutsy kid because she is being abused--constantly. Katie lLou\
is as tough as they come. Who else in the history of Uconn played and puked during timeouts or stoppage in the game?? That is REALLY REAlLY tough. She was supposed to be out of the SMU game for illness--do you really think the effects of an illness goes out of your body in ONE day?? She looked terrible at the beginning of USC game. She didn't score 20 point--but she distracted 2 or 3 and sometimes 5 USC players so Gabby or Napheesa could score or rebound. She was knocked on her behind a half dozen times--punched in the belly without a call. Which one of you would put up with that crap without slugging some one?? You can bet you daddy's new car that she wanted to---that too my friend is toughness---She isn't the nice Valley girl wanting to play old time 6 on 6 girly girl games
She signed up to play for the toughest coach in WBB --bar none. Sure every kid, except Kia, would love to play a game without all the abusive physical contact--who wouldn't.\
When you can match her toughness ---stand up and talk about this young lady--until then --think of what you say????
I agree. I think Katie Lou is tough as nails. Did you see the blind -side block laid out on her yesterday? It was like running full tilt into a wall. She was hurt, and carried on. Don't worry about her grit.

Reaction Score

I see your points and agree with some up to a point. I don't question her mental toughness or desire. When coaching years ago I once had a HS girl who was very similar to KLS, although obviously on a lower level, a very good offensive player who needed a lot of improvement on the defensive side. She also played a finesse, less physical style. She wasn't afraid of contact and took it without complaint or whining. What I saw as her problem was similar to what some NFL QBs have. They focus on the pass rush and can't see through it to find their receivers. I had to teach her to only see where she was going and to shoot without letting the banging distract her. She would get off balance and distracted because she was anticipating the contact. This in turn helped her on defense fighting through screens and bodying her assignment. That's what I see in KLS. Once she learns to put on the blinders and play through the contact and deliver some of her own she'll be almost unstoppable. I hope she learns it soon.

Reaction Score
I see your points and agree with some up to a point. I don't question her mental toughness or desire. When coaching years ago I once had a HS girl who was very similar to KLS, although obviously on a lower level, a very good offensive player who needed a lot of improvement on the defensive side. She also played a finesse, less physical style. She wasn't afraid of contact and took it without complaint or whining. What I saw as her problem was similar to what some NFL QBs have. They focus on the pass rush and can't see through it to find their receivers. I had to teach her to only see where she was going and to shoot without letting the banging distract her. She would get off balance and distracted because she was anticipating the contact. This in turn helped her on defense fighting through screens and bodying her assignment. That's what I see in KLS. Once she learns to put on the blinders and play through the contact and deliver some of her own she'll be almost unstoppable. I hope she learns it soon.

Reaction Score
If Lou is fighting to get well and Kia is (pardon me) nursing a bad ankle then I hope Geno lets them take 7 days are get well/rehab.

Chance of this happening - 2%. Why?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry that I must read so many negative comments, guesses about Lou.One freakin game where she wasn't knocking down threes like they were lay ups and she isn't tough enough, couldn't handle the rough housing etc. Folks she had a day where she couldn't throw it in the ocean, that's all . This kid put the team on her back twice, once when she was puking before and during the game and scores 30 or so, then again sick as a dog plays great while looking white as a ghost, again plays great. I realize this is a discussion board but the negativity is not becoming. Let's enjoy thus amazing ride.

Reaction Score
To me these Uconn players has their own identity. Gabby is like the Mother of the team that gets everyone going when the game isn't going their way. She puts them on her back and takes over. Kia is a leader. Floor general who wants everyone to contribute and will sacrifice her scoring and game play for others to do the job. Pheesa is the one you can count on to put it all on the line when times comes and Lou can take over games although I think she hit the sophomore wall could be from fatigue or her illness the last couple of weeks but she will be fine. Saniya is the quiet one who has all the talent in the world but scared to just let go. Other words Uconn will find ways to win. Some games might not look like the teams we use to seeing but a win is a win and they keep proving to people.... it's a Uconn thing.

Reaction Score
Much you can say about this post and most of you said what I was thinking. Been a long season and these starters are tired of shouldering the most minutes in the game, Geno's practices and the expectations of fans and press who follow them.

Pressure is what you put on yourself and these kids put a lot of pressure on themselves because they take ownership of this Husky mystique and don't want to break the spell. The first signs of fatigue is seen in shooters like Katie Lou. She is worn down ... as is the rest of the team.

Believe this is by design as in the military version of Basic Training. Come tournament time this team will look rested and better conditioned than the rest of the field and exude confidence ... including Katie Lou. In theory the shots will be falling as in the early part of the season.. Time will tell. Be patient

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Holy carp. Did everyone go off their meds today?

Lou had a "bad game" because she got roughed up all night. SC was double and triple teaming her for much of the game. Regardless, the kid is a sophomore, one who's recovering from the flu and who's been the focus of defenses all season. As Geno has said, February is when the physical play starts to catch up with the team, physically, especially the young players.

People who think these 19-20 year old players should be exactly the same every single game must think the kids are robots. They're not. Just like you have good days and bad ones, productive days and not, the UConn players - human beings all - will vary in their outings. Unless you yourself are perfect at what you do every single day, well, I'm not sure you should be expecting the kids to be perfect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lou's is a much improved player over last season in every respect...........she is never going to be a monster rebounder due to her physical attributes and where she plays on the floor defensively..........that said, I would bet that by the time she is a senior, she will average 5-6 rebounds per game which is probably about her maximum........as for her toughness, it seems the sicker she feels the better she plays........most of us could barely make it to the bathroom feeling that way while she is out there running end to end for thirty plus minutes.........she may look sweet but she's a steely competitor as far as I'm concerned...............

Reaction Score

You can be as fearless as you want, but you have to have the athletic ability to match. Gabby is an outlier athlete, who can do things on the court that 99.9% of the country can't. Lou, while a unique combination of shooter and height, is nowhere near as athletic as Gabby. And at this point in her development, Lou has not fully transitioned from a shooter to a scorer (though she has made great strides since last year); thus, opposing teams (if they have good defensive players, like South Carolina) can chase her around screens, and guard her like a shooter. Some nights, she'll still make those shots (a la KML), but last night was not one of those nights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom