My Qualifications | The Boneyard

My Qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm the other guy besides doggydaddy that's been in touch with Jacobs since yesterday afternoon. Behind the scenes we've been discussing whether meyers or me will accompany DD, and it still could be meyers depending on the response from my last email to Jacobs, but it dawned on me that perhaps not everyone has experience or confidence for such an interview and, more to the point, some Boneyarders may be apprehensive about that.

I'm an accomplished public speaker, performer and former teacher at all levels from kindergarten to Ivy League, with wonderful testimonials and evaluations. I've been interviewed numerous times on radio and web media for time slots ranging from five minutes to an hour.

I'm not going to turn MD and JJ into mush, nor do I seek to do that, but in no way will they trip this Boneyarder up. I will appear more confident and relaxed than they are if I'm needed for the cause.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm the other guy besides doggydaddy that's been in touch with Jacobs since yesterday afternoon. Behind the scenes we've been discussing whether meyers or me will accompany DD, and it still could be meyers depending on the response from my last email to Jacobs, but it dawned on me that perhaps not everyone has experience or confidence for such an interview and, more to the point, some Boneyarders may be apprehensive about that.

I'm an accomplished public speaker, performer and former teacher at all levels from kindergarten to Ivy League, with wonderful testimonials and evaluations. I've been interviewed numerous times on radio and web media for time slots ranging from five minutes to an hour.

I'm not going to turn MD and JJ into mush, nor do I seek to do that, but in no way will they trip this Boneyarder up. I will appear more confident and relaxed than they are if I'm needed for the cause.
And I'll be the one hiding behind Digger.

I feel like the D player in a scramble playing with an A player. I'm just hoping to hit 2 drives we can use

Reaction Score
Sounds like a formidable team coming together. Can't wait. Do us proud.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
You guys will represent! (And I would love to see you take Meyers if possible.) Will have the popcorn and wine ready for the big event.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
What is the goal of this confrontation? Is it to prove that Boneyarders are not dumb, or that MD is?

Reaction Score

They are going to research the heck out of you. I'm interested in your hiking humanitarian moniker. (just vetting you bro)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They are going to research the heck out of you. I'm interested in your hiking humanitarian moniker. (just vetting you bro)
Some of these writers don't do that much research. That's pretty obvious from what they write. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You guys will represent! (And I would love to see you take Meyers if possible.) Will have the popcorn and wine ready for the big event.
They only want two. I'm on stand by. ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What is the goal of this confrontation? Is it to prove that Boneyarders are not dumb, or that MD is?
I can only prove that I'm not dumb. Or not.

Reaction Score
Some of these writers don't do that much research. That's pretty obvious from what they write. ;)

When they really egocentrically believe they are right , I agree. But here he may loose (like it's a game he has to win :rolleyes:). These types of guys cheat when they may be made to look less than they think they are. It's a psycho thing. Even tho I don't know much about him, I watched the interview and it looks to me that he certainly has some indicators.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And I'll be the one hiding behind Digger.

I feel like the D player in a scramble playing with an A player. I'm just hoping to hit 2 drives we can use
You will be fine. You are just talking about basketball, something you've spent far too much time thinking about. Relax and have a conversation, don't try to stump them and don't try to make them your friends. I'm looking forward to watching it. At the end of the day, our New London friend will have to admit that you are a reasonable guy, or he'll look (more) foolish.

JMO

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm waiting to hear from Jacobs what they expect from having Boneyarders on. We may think it's supposed to be a MD/journalist v. Boneyard grudge match over the facts. It may not be. If I hear that they want to make it about the Boneyard I'm all in. I've posted to the Boneyard since 1994 (I think that's the date), when it was hosted by the Courant (ironically enough). Back then I posted fairly often, mostly on the men's side, under my handle mapper. After a hiatus I posted with the handle diggerfoot, though much less frequently now and mainly on the women's board.

Whether they want the show to be an "entertaining" confrontation or an informative show about the Boneyard, I'm confident I can orient the discussion towards the latter. If you compare discourse on the Boneyard to "normal" face-to-face interaction it suffers in the comparison, as does all online venues, and they may want to play that up in a confrontation. However, the Boneyard is probably the most informative and most social of fan boards out there. If you compare "apples" to "apples," the Boneyard is terrific not just for UConn fans, but basketball fans in general. I'm confident I can make that the main message that comes across.

If we are allowed to ask probing questions with a focus on the journalists, getting deeper as to why journalists write the opinions they sometimes do, I'd like to be a part of that as well. If it's mainly to be a confrontation over the facts I don't think I add much beyond what dd is already the best at, and many others such as meyers can do as well or better than me.

As for the hiking humanitarian moniker: I write, sing and speak about kindness, community and humanity. Not long ago my wife and I walked 5,000 miles across the country with that as one of the reasons. My tag line is "Expect kindness. Build community. Believe in humanity." However, there was another more personal reason for that journey that now is about to lead me in a different direction in terms of philanthropy. I'll share that with the Boneyard when the time is right.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm waiting to hear from Jacobs what they expect from having Boneyarders on. We may think it's supposed to be a MD/journalist v. Boneyard grudge match over the facts. It may not be. If I hear that they want to make it about the Boneyard I'm all in. I've posted to the Boneyard since 1994 (I think that's the date), when it was hosted by the Courant (ironically enough). Back then I posted fairly often, mostly on the men's side, under my handle mapper. After a hiatus I posted with the handle diggerfoot, though much less frequently now and mainly on the women's board.
Did not realize you were mapper. I remember that name from way, way back. (I was on the Courant board too, though not exactly sure when....must have been around 95-96)

Reaction Score

Wow! I'm extremely good-looking, and chicks seem to dig me a lot!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I barely clear 5 feet tall. That is all

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why did you come over to this side and stay... just curious of the jump, nothing more or less!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
why did you come over to this side and stay... just curious of the jump, nothing more or less!

I still post on the men's side, but to answer your question:

I'm fairly resistant to the dark side of anonymous Internet posting, but not totally immune. When things go wrong with the team some emboldened, anonymous posts bring out my anger. Posts on the men's side tend to be angrier when things go wrong and they go wrong more often. When I feel like I'm posting something I wouldn't say in person it's time to pull the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom