OT: - My one-time "Wire Chief Memorial Quiz" | The Boneyard

OT: My one-time "Wire Chief Memorial Quiz"

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1 – Neil Diamond encourages us (in song) to “Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies”. Why?

2 – Neil was on a National Championship team in (this sport), the same sport that Rutgers’ sole Natty was earned in. The sport?

3 – At the University of Arizona, football wins are celebrated by ringing a special bell. What’s special about it?

4 – Staying at U of A, the school motto came about in the 1920’s when a dying star athlete told the coach to “tell the boys – tell the team – to do (this). Do what?

5 – Staying in Tucson for one more question – there are numerous events in Tucson that attract visitors. Which of the following is NOT a famous Tucson event: Tucson Meet Yourself festival, Dia de las Muertos procession, Cactus Cook-Off contest or Tucson Gem and Mineral expo?

6,7 and 8 – Many famous Women’s Basketball Coaches are at their schools for a very, very long time. Can you identify the famous coaches associated with the following schools:

6 – Kansas (31 years)?

7 – North Dakota State (29 years)?

8 – Auburn (25 years)?

9, 10 and 11 – Many WBB coaches closely associated with a particular school got their start somewhere else. Can you name where these coaches got their start?

9 – Kay Yow of NC State (4 years)?

10 – Sylvia Hatchell of North Carolina (11 years)?

11 – Sue Gunter of LSU (12 years)?

12 – Last WBB question – Reversing the above – What long time coach started at Roane State Community College, a stint not recognized in NCAA win totals?

13 – Four New York Yankees managers have over 1000 wins – who has the most: Casey Stengel, Joe McCarthy, Joe Torre or Miller Huggins?

14 – It is monsoon season here where I live – what makes a storm a monsoon?

15 – Folks also fear the dreaded Haboob. What are they afraid of?

May Wirechief Rest In Peace. In his honor, this question, a version of which he offered, and which he had asked me about in the PM section:

16 – There is a statue known as “Willie the Silent” on the Rutgers campus. Who is being honored and what (loosely) is the connection?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Very good! Don't make it your last.

1 – Because everyone goes to Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show!
3 – The bell is from the U.S.S. Arizona.
12 – Andy Landers
13 – Joe McCarthy
14 – The wind blowing at a very high rate in the same general direction.
15 – And back we go to Arizona! A Haboob is a very large sand storm.

Reaction Score
13 mccarthy
6 Washington nation?
7 any ruley
8 Joe ciampi

Reaction Score
I'm totally stumped but in keeping with the spirit of Wirechief, will make some wild guesses. In agreement with SVCBeercats, don't make it your last.

5. Cactus cookoff contest
8. Joe Ciampi
13. Miller Huggins

Reaction Score
Nice work Grand Canyon Knight! I especially liked the Neil Diamond/Fencing one and the USS Arizona bell. I’m sure Wire Chief approves!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for putting this together!

5 – I'm going to go with the Gem and Mineral Expo. (The meet yourself event seems the most likely, so it's probably something else.)

13 – Joe McCarthy

15 – Sandstorm

Reaction Score
2- football

6- Marian Washington

7- Amy Ruley

9- Elon College unless it’s first ever coaching job, that was some high school in North Carolina.

11- Middle Tenn State and she never lost a game there.

13- Joe McCarthy

16- Prince of Orange

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Great going - still need #4, and #10.

#11 - Jibariqua is correct about Sue Gunter at Middle Tennessee State in the early '60s, however, like the coach in #12, this isn't recognized by the NCAA. So still looking for the NCAA recognized job for the indicated 12 years.

#14 - could use some elaboration if anyone has any.

Reaction Score
#11 - Jibariqua is correct about Sue Gunter at Middle Tennessee State in the early '60s, however, like the coach in #12, this isn't recognized by the NCAA. So still looking for the NCAA recognized job for the indicated 12 years.

I didn’t pay any attention to the 12 years. She was at Stephen F Austin before LSU

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And we are pretty much as complete as I expect.

1 - SVC heard Neil preaching at Brother Love's.

2 - Ed and Ex know that Neil's NC was in Fencing, as was Rutgers' many years earlier.

3 - SVC heads trio who knows UArizona's bell was salvaged from the USS Arizona.

4 - The only complete miss - no PAC fans? - the motto is "Bear Down"; as the dying Button Salmon asked the coach to "tell the boys to bear down". Pinot is a silly bear.

5 - VAU knows there is no Cactus Cooking Contest (although you could take a class before Covid). Big isn't a gem collector - the Tucson "Gem Show" (really, a series of them over several weeks) is a huge, internationally known event. Tucson Meet Yourself is smaller, an annual celebration of the various cultures in Tucson; featuring food stands offering food from everywhere in the world. Like the Day of the Dead procession, cancelled this year due to Covid.

6 - Kansas's long time coach was Marian Washington, known to Zanzman and Jibariqua

7 - And the same duo remembers Amy Ruley.

8 - This time, Zanz teams up with VAU to remember Auburn's Joe Ciampi.

9 - Jibariqua correctly notes that the great Kay Yow got her start at Elon.

10 - and Gamecock knows all about Sylvia Hatchell at Francis Marion College.

11 - and back to Jibariqua for everything you want to know about Sue Gunter of MTS and SFA fame.

12 - SVC notes Andy Lander's gripe with the NCAA

13 - and is part of a trio that knows Joe McCarthy has the most Yankees wins.

14 - I'm not a meteorologist so I only know what they tell us - it apparently has to do with a temperature difference between an adjacent landmass and body of water, and also has to do with wind direction. Here in Tucson, they stress that it all has to do with the dew point. All I know is we desperately want our monsoon (we are in season). Normally it evidences itself here as brief, intense storms, generally in the late afternoon.

15 - SVC again, haboobs are wind storms more common around Phoenix than Tucson.

16. And Jibariqua rounds out the Wirechief Memorial Question - Willie the Silent was William, Prince of Orange, instrumental in winning the freedom of the Netherlands. The statue is related to the founding of Rutgers by - and early influence of - the Dutch Reformed Church in the area.

Thanks all for participating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom