My night with the Yard Goats | The Boneyard

My night with the Yard Goats

Reaction Score
Got a call the other night that a buddy had a couple extra tickets to tonight's game so I took him up on it.

• Whoever said the stadium has a major league feel to it? I did not see that one bit. I thought it was textbook typical minor league in every way. Scoreboard is pretty average. Mini scoreboards for pitch speed, balls and strikes are pretty average. The entire experience was New Britain Rock Cats at best.
  • Weird sight lines throughout the park. Odd cutouts in RF. Lots of LF space dedicated to Bears and not much else. It also seemed like lots of spots you are staring through a net or screen. Even in RF or LF.
  • Very disappointed in the concessions. I had higher hopes for that and they are basically the same as the XL Center for the most part....except for Bears.
  • The biggest winner of this whole gig is Bears BBQ. The line was 15 deep all night. These games are going to be a cash cow for him.
  • The surrounding area sucks. Like really sucks. Nothing nice to look at and nothing to do as far as the eye can see. City Steam looks like the biggest benefactor as the first stop post game, but they basically plopped this stadium down in the middle of nothing. I really honestly struggle to see what their vision was for putting it there.
I definitely would not rush back. My kid was bored. We left in the 6th. It just seemed like forced fun by all.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Got a call the other night that a buddy had a couple extra tickets to tonight's game so I took him up on it.

• Whoever said the stadium has a major league feel to it? I did not see that one bit. I thought it was textbook typical minor league in every way. Scoreboard is pretty average. Mini scoreboards for pitch speed, balls and strikes are pretty average. The entire experience was New Britain Rock Cats at best.
  • Weird sight lines throughout the park. Odd cutouts in RF. Lots of LF space dedicated to Bears and not much else. It also seemed like lots of spots you are staring through a net or screen. Even in RF or LF.
  • Very disappointed in the concessions. I had higher hopes for that and they are basically the same as the XL Center for the most part....except for Bears.
  • The biggest winner of this whole gig is Bears BBQ. The line was 15 deep all night. These games are going to be a cash cow for him.
  • The surrounding area sucks. Like really sucks. Nothing nice to look at and nothing to do as far as the eye can see. City Steam looks like the biggest benefactor as the first stop post game, but they basically plopped this stadium down in the middle of nothing. I really honestly struggle to see what their vision was for putting it there.
I definitely would not rush back. My kid was bored. We left in the 6th. It just seemed like forced fun by all.

You're insufferable.. what a downer you are..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least you gave it a shot. But just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was forced fun for the other 4,857 attendees.

Reaction Score
At least you gave it a shot. But just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was forced fun for the other 4,857 attendees.

So, I was curious to hear the attendance because I thought it was maybe 2/3 full. My tickets were part of a group ticket buy with most of our section empty.

Hey. I bought a t shirt and hat for my daughter. Some food. Parking. I gave it a whirl.

Reaction Score
Like you said, at least he gave it a shot. Even though he couldn't resist to snipe. Next time he can just drive by knowing he gave it a chance. Now he can put a cap on his curiosity.

Reaction Score

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, I was curious to hear the attendance because I thought it was maybe 2/3 full. My tickets were part of a group ticket buy with most of our section empty.
Hey. I bought a t shirt and hat for my daughter. Some food. Parking. I gave it a whirl.

And hey, you had to go the back roads to avoid the other 20,000 people that spent the evening in nothing to do Hartford.

Reaction Score
It's mid season minor league baseball. You have to go in knowing the game will not be the entertainment. Eat, drink, talk.

Reaction Score
It's mid season minor league baseball. You have to go in knowing the game will not be the entertainment. Eat, drink, talk.

Right? I mean I'm obsessed with what is essentially minor league basketball so who am I to talk, but I don't see how you can bring a kid to a minor league baseball game in 2017 and expect he/she to be entertained.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I (now infamously) had my first Yard Goats experience last night as well. It was a lot of fun. Sight lines are great. Sat on third base side and had a pretty view of the skyline. They had some kind of stupid mascot race type thing every couple of innings but that's minor league baseball. Concessions were pretty sweet. I got a "yard goat burger" which is something you won't find anywhere else (goat cheese, arugula, carmalized bacon) Then my fiancé and I split some nachos from this stand that made actual nachos not just crappy salsa and processed cheese goop. Got what must have been a 32oz Heineken for 10 bucks and a 16oz Yeingleing for $6.50. Not bad at all. A lot of trendy apparel to be had. If you think that this stadium was akin to New Britain stadium you have strange memories of that place. Oh, also there will be awesome eye candy in this park all summer. Single girls didn't get dressed up in their summer best to go to Rock Cats games. They do to go to Yard Goats games. That alone is worth the price of admission and associated fees.

Reaction Score

Come join us over at the Bees!

Reaction Score
The big winners are the Hartford cops getting huge pension spiking OT to pretend to direct traffic and deal with all the danger of bad minor league baseball

Supposedly the area around it was supposed to be developed by the original developer

Remember when we heard a Hard Rock Hotel was coming to downtown Hartford? Lying that well is pure gold

Reaction Score
being smack dab between Boston and NYC, I cant imagine the goal or vision was to compete against those markets. But for something fun to do on a random night in Hartford. It's a nice opportunity. I havent been to a game yet though.

Reaction Score
I go to one Pawsox game per year with kids/family. Typically with a group of kids and it is EONS better for kids when with a group. Otherwise they only care about the concessions (more true than not at Red Sox game as well). The Pawsox stadium is very seventies, old feel which is either part of charm or boring or inadequate. But I agree generally that is minor league baseball, I'm expecting an affordable family outing, hopefully catch a player that I've heard of and 6-7 innings tops.

Reaction Score
I went to the game Tuesday night to watch Sheffield pitch. Parking at Laz was only $5 and across the street. Luckily the stadium is right downtown, so the wife and I walked over to Vaughn's for a quick pint. Very easy walk! Prudential, Travelers, EY, corporate buildings are right next to the stadium too!

When we walked to the stadium, I loved how they have the "look-through" windows so when you're standing outside of the stadium and looking into the stadium, you can watch the game and The Yard Goats bullpen warming up.

Food was great, but the beer might need to step up it's game a little. No local craft beers from Hooker, City Steam, New England Brew. Very happy with the experience and we're going back when the Mets are coming to town-can't wait!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom