My Hope... | The Boneyard

My Hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
... is that we end up in the ACC. That's nothing new. But man oh man... my hatred for those arrogant s in Chestnut Hill is eclipsing my hatred for Rutgers, which is saying a lot... I'm practically foaming at the mouth to beat them on the field/court... you want to be New England's team? That ship has sailed, man... a long, long time ago. Get over yourselves. Man up. Prove it on the field.

/rant

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Thewere many tactical errors in Flipper opening his mouth but the ;argest is that if the ACC does move to add another school (whether through further expansion or to replace someone lost to the SEC) they will have little choice but to add us as among other things ESPN will have a gun to their heads saying 'pull the trigger on UConn or we'll both potentially be facing serious legal problems'. The minute some actual action occurs to contradict the hearsay of that article, both parties will be safe again.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
... is that we end up in the ACC. That's nothing new. But man oh man... my hatred for those arrogant s in Chestnut Hill is exclipsing my hatred for Rutgers, which is saying a lot... I'm pracically foaming at the mouth to beat them on the field/court... you want to be New England's team? That ship has sailed, man... a long, long time ago. Get over yourselves. Man up. Prove it on the field.

/rant

That's the problem. BC already has tried it and failed miserably.

Reaction Score
I agree. I want to go to the ACC for security sake, but more and more I am wanting to see the Big East pull a Houdini and make this realignment work. Leadership is thinking bigger now that Houston, BYU, Boise etc are in the discussion. We just might make a run of it if we have to and honestly, as risky as it is, I am starting to want the challenge of being a thorn in the ACC's side. Those slimey bastards are really pissing me off.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's the problem. BC already has tried it and failed miserably.
I know. That's what REALLY steams me. By blocking us, by being scared of us, they are admitting that they are a failure as an athletic department and the only way they can beat us is to try and force us out of existence. Which is why if we ever DO play again... what a sweet, sweet victory it would be to destroy those .

Reaction Score
Thewere many tactical errors in Flipper opening his mouth but the ;argest is that if the ACC does move to add another school (whether through further expansion or to replace someone lost to the SEC) they will have little choice but to add us as among other things ESPN will have a gun to their heads saying 'pull the trigger on UConn or we'll both potentially be facing serious legal problems'. The minute some actual action occurs to contradict the hearsay of that article, both parties will be safe again.

This. I really think Defilipo's comments will help UConn, and it may help UConn very quickly.

First of all, for the reasons you mentioned.

Second of all, it's clear Duke wants UConn in. I have no idea why Defilipo felt the need to publicly flex his muscles about Coach K, and basically saying he overruled him, but he did.

I don't think Tobacco Road is going to take kindly to this, and may flex back and take UConn...reminding Defilipo who is really running the conference.

Reaction Score
This. I really think Defilipo's comments will help UConn, and it may help UConn very quickly.

First of all, for the reasons you mentioned.

Second of all, it's clear Duke wants UConn in. I have no idea why Defilipo felt the need to publicly flex his muscles about Coach K, and basically saying he overruled him, but he did.

I don't think Tobacco Road is going to take kindly to this, and may flex back and take UConn...reminding Defilipo who is really running the conference.[/qu

The ACC,
fearing a law suit may take us to avoid one.

Reaction Score
I agree. I want to go to the ACC for security sake, but more and more I am wanting to see the Big East pull a Houdini and make this realignment work. Leadership is thinking bigger now that Houston, BYU, Boise etc are in the discussion. We just might make a run of it if we have to and honestly, as risky as it is, I am starting to want the challenge of being a thorn in the ACC's side. Those slimey bastards are really pissing me off.

I am really starting to feel this way too. F everybody over at the ACC and especially BC.

Reaction Score
I am really starting to feel this way too. F everybody over at the ACC and especially BC.

That's an understandable sentiment right now, but DeFilippo shooting his mouth off pretty much assured that UConn is in the next round of ACC expansion, just for ESPN to have plausible deniability against a massive anti-trust suit.

Reaction Score
That's an understandable sentiment right now, but DeFilippo shooting his mouth off pretty much assured that UConn is in the next round of ACC expansion, just for ESPN to have plausible deniability against a massive anti-trust suit.
Thanks just the same. I'd be much more excited about a football only conference that included the remaining big east programs, with the addition of the best from Conference USA and the MW. Adding Houston, SMU, Boise State, maybe BYU, a few others, into a 16 team conference, east/west. It just seems like it has more juice than playing the former Big East football escapees, along with North Car, Wake, etc.

Reaction Score

I think the problem is if and when the next round occurs. If UConn is relegated to non-AQ status, we're not a candidate for any conference.

Reaction Score
As much as I like this idea, we still belong in an east coast conference, and unfortunately the only place is the ACC. Providence is still trying to save a place for the Catholic schools at the big boys table and will invite anybody to save the league. (Funny that a Catholic school played a large role in destroying it.) Some of these ideas (Boise State? Air Force?, really?) just aren't logical and are born out of desperation. The Big East was a very good conference and could have survived very nicely, but for all purposes it's the conference version of a dead man walking.
How ironic that Gene Di's gloating may bite him in the ass. He's making the whole league look small and overstating his influence in the ACC.

Reaction Score
As much as I like this idea, we still belong in an east coast conference, and unfortunately the only place is the ACC. Providence is still trying to save a place for the Catholic schools at the big boys table and will invite anybody to save the league. (Funny that a Catholic school played a large role in destroying it.) Some of these ideas (Boise State? Air Force?, really?) just aren't logical and are born out of desperation. The Big East was a very good conference and could have survived very nicely, but for all purposes it's the conference version of a dead man walking.
How ironic that Gene Di's gloating may bite him in the ass. He's making the whole league look small and overstating his influence in the ACC.

Regardless of BC s actions, expansion was going to be a reality.
Anyone who claims otherwise has no idea of the landscape in college football.

Reaction Score
Regardless of BC s actions, expansion was going to be a reality.
Anyone who claims otherwise has no idea of the landscape in college football.

I like east and west divisions in a more national conference a lot. It is interesting and it doesn't come with all the hate and deceit. The idea of being partners with our conference mates and reinventing what it means to be "like minded" institutions has appeal. We have an ability to bring eastern football into western households and vice versa.....with a BCS bid. It isn't a bad idea and it isn't necessarily doomed to fail. I for one would love an occasional trip out west to see a game. I would also like seeing UCONN on the blue field. This group can bring an excitement like we saw when Rutgers and Ville played a huge showdown game on a Thursday night in Piscataway in 2006 or so. That was a great spectacle for a Big East fan. This concept could bring us more of that. Saturday in Raleigh Durham or Chapel Hill isn't as exciting to me. I know it is a solid move but it just seems like we will get lost in the shuffle.

Reaction Score
We have an ability to bring eastern football into western households and vice versa.....with a BCS bid. It isn't a bad idea and it isn't necessarily doomed to fail. I for one would love an occasional trip out west to see a game. I would also like seeing UCONN on the blue field. Saturday in Raleigh Durham or Chapel Hill isn't as exciting to me. I know it is a solid move but it just seems like we will get lost in the shuffle.

We aren't a like-minded institution with Boise State. Seems like this mess is being directed by Frederico Fellini.

Reaction Score

I honestly have no idea what he was trying to accomplish.

Reaction Score
We aren't a like-minded institution with Boise State. Seems like this mess is being directed by Frederico Fellini.

We don't have to be. Our like mindedness can stop at wanting a BCS bid and relevancy for now. There is no ideal solution, so we have to embrace the best alternative solution. The only like minded major player left for us is Rutgers.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've said this form the beginning: If the end game is 16 team super conferences then UConn will have a place. There's just not enough inventory especially on the east coast for UConn to be left out.

I honestly think the reason DeFilipo is flexing his muscles now is because he knows that UConn to the ACC is an inevitable... he's showing off before he capitulates. He's also going to let everyone know that when UConn joins the ACC... it's because HE let UConn join and not because it was inevitable from the beginning.

I also don't think the Big East's BCS bid is going anywhere. I've said a few times that the BCS wont get less inclusive because of the politics of the situation... they'll continue to use the Big East as the lower tier league in the BCS... where new blood is brought in... ESPN doesn't want the Big East to go away... they just don't want to pay top dollar for it. Here's the other thing that I think will help keep the Big East in the BCS... no one wants to be the weakest BCS league... if they get rid of the Big East.. then one of the big boys has to assume the roll of kicking boy. No one else wants the roll of worst BCS conference. They like having the Big Least around.

I honestly think that one of the good things about this conference expansion is that the bowl money becomes far less important. BCS money is small change compared to these new TV contracts... When you're talking $20-$25 million per year... the $1.2 mill a school gets from the BCS doesn't seem all that important anymore. If BCS money meant a lot these expansion moves would be more about the play on the field and less about markets and fan bases.. and TV commodities. West Virginia would have been the first school to leave the Big East if this was about play on the field.

Reaction Score
How about: He's an idiot.

Arrogance and ego combined with insecurity and inferiority complex = talking big in newspaper the one time he can. Plus he's an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom