My HFD take on why we should keep PP and GDL - this is probably true! | The Boneyard

My HFD take on why we should keep PP and GDL - this is probably true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, as some have reported, PP will be back next year to coach UConn, along with him will most likely be GDL. I think this is great news!

Come on, let's face it, what kind of coach could we get to replace PP given our current place in conference realignment? Maybe some sort of slight improvement, nothing that we'd want I'm sure.

So my HFD theory is that Warde and Herbst know this, and could possibly find a replacement for PP, so why aren't they?

The answer: They know something we don't know, and anticipate having more leverage in the future in regards to attracting a high caliber coach. In HFD speak, that means we're a lock for the B1G!!!!! Come on yo know it's true!!! The logic is flawless!!

HFD - please take this post in the spirit in which it was meant, fun, not an insult or jab at you.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So, as some have reported, PP will be back next year to coach UConn, along with him will most likely be GDL. I think this is great news!

Come on, let's face it, what kind of coach could we get to replace PP given our current place in conference realignment? Maybe some sort of slight improvement, nothing that we'd want I'm sure.

So my HFD theory is that Warde and Herbst know this, and could possibly find a replacement for PP, so why aren't they?

The answer: They know something we don't know, and anticipate having more leverage in the future in regards to attracting a high caliber coach. In HFD speak, that means we're a lock for the B1G!!!!! Come on yo know it's true!!! The logic is flawless!!

HFD - please take this post in the spirit in which it was meant, fun, not an insult or jab at you.

i have said this is possible in the past. a certain poster here i'm not sure if it was u or not talked about this 2 weeks ago in a thread. i completely understand this position, but it doesn't sit well with me becuase i want to change things now not later. its just a difference in time really. but ups and downs thread touches it. going to the b10 is great when it happens, but we still have this staff for another year or so which is not so great. i would rather have new staff now, and be in year 2 in 2014 heading to the b10 then year 1. thats my timing issue. i also fear that the reason ko's contact is not done is becuase the school does not want to lock up any money right now so that they can push money around as needed to leave the conf sooner. these are some of my time vs patience issues that i am not sure i agree with. but overall i'm on board with susan 100% but my opinions and wardes seem to differ right now. we shall see soon hopefully...

Reaction Score
i have said this is possible in the past. a certain poster here i'm not sure if it was u or not talked about this 2 weeks ago in a thread. i completely understand this position, but it doesn't sit well with me becuase i want to change things now not later. its just a difference in time really. but ups and downs thread touches it. going to the b10 is great when it happens, but we still have this staff for another year or so which is not so great. i would rather have new staff now, and be in year 2 in 2014 heading to the b10 then year 1. thats my timing issue. i also fear that the reason ko's contact is not done is becuase the school does not want to lock up any money right now so that they can push money around as needed to leave the conf sooner. these are some of my time vs patience issues that i am not sure i agree with. but overall i'm on board with susan 100% but my opinions and wardes seem to differ right now. we shall see soon hopefully...

I see your point, but do we want to be going on year two of a new coaching staff, that was hired and has the corresponding pedigree that is on par with the caliber of the conference we are currently in? I would rather have year 1 of B1G be with a B1G caliber coaching staff!!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I see your point, but do we want to be going on year two of a new coaching staff, that was hired and has the corresponding pedigree that is on par with the caliber of the conference we are currently in? I would rather have year 1 of B1G be with a B1G caliber coaching staff!!!

if we know we are going to the b10, then we are not hiring on a nbe level. were telling heads that were going to the b10 so were looking for guys on that level and it becomes a look at what we have in paperwork and be quiet about it issue. i think that the school is afriad to mess up the b10 invite by telling coaches who interview at risk they will tell media, piss of the b10 and we lose our invite.

john gruden-don brown-skip holtz can all be on the same staff with a little vision. gruden is looking for the right place to start. we have a b10 invite and a top notch pf. we are also close to his buddys in bristol. perfect storm. have him keep brown at dc and bring in skip at oc. the deal is both know that hes here for 4 years ish until he gets a texas/florida/bama type offer. thats fine. u learn the rops here and build our program and its a win win for both sides. u help rebuild skips life and he can take over when u leave. gruden gets what he wants and so do we. don brown teaches hank everything and hank is our future dc. spaz can be our lb coach, im not kidding. under skip at oc u groom day to be a new oc down the road and u have foley back at the job he should have. get some new ast coaches and keep some and get to work.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good grief. PP is mostly a defensive coach. Was the defense good? He's also brought in better recruiting classes than Edsall did, although those kids haven't played yet. This year's offense was terrible, although there was an upgrade at QB. The solution is to keep PP, see what his kids can do when they get to play. Keep GDL and put him in a role where he isn't calling plays (although he did get better). Bring in somebody to call the plays. Meanwhile, we need much better receivers, backs and better play from the OL. Add to that an emphasis on reducing and creating turnovers. That's the reality.

Right now, as a HC, PP is probably better than the guys we could get to take this job. I am actually beginning to see how the team could come together and suprise next year, and certainly the year after.

Reaction Score
Good grief. PP is mostly a defensive coach. Was the defense good? He's also brought in better recruiting classes than Edsall did, although those kids haven't played yet. This year's offense was terrible, although there was an upgrade at QB. The solution is to keep PP, see what his kids can do when they get to play. Keep GDL and put him in a role where he isn't calling plays (although he did get better). Bring in somebody to call the plays. Meanwhile, we need much better receivers, backs and better play from the OL. Add to that an emphasis on reducing and creating turnovers. That's the reality.

Right now, as a HC, PP is probably better than the guys we could get to take this job. I am actually beginning to see how the team could come together and suprise next year, and certainly the year after.

Good God ... you're delusional.

No one is anticipating anything good going forward. If you are watching play & understand who/what is leaving, you cannot think we are going to be improving. And, recruiting? He brought in better classes? I don't see it. I see several classes to replace a solid Rush Game & no talent at RB. They haven't developed OLine guys like Foley did under Edsall. Complete steaming mess.

Reaction Score

No one is anticipating anything good going forward. If you are watching play & understand who/what is leaving, you cannot think we are going to be improving. And, recruiting? He brought in better classes? I don't see it. I see several classes to replace a solid Rush Game & no talent at RB. They haven't developed OLine guys like Foley did under Edsall. Complete steaming mess.

Well said.

You know how you attract a coach that would be the same caliber of that you could attract after we've solved our realignment issue? You write him a bigger check than anyone else you are competing with him for.

Seriously, this isn't rocket science. No coordinator or I-AA young star is turning down a sufficient offer from UConn just because of our conference situation. Might it keep us from beating BC if we competed over the same guy? Sure, it could. But that's one candidate from the entire world.

Reaction Score
These MAC guys were making $325-400k. We are paying Pasqualoni $1.7m. The OC/DC at major schools are not making $700k-$1.2m. We are paying $1.7m. Assistants at NFL level? $1.7m is a good wage increase.

See ... they get the Power & the Bucks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is such an overreaction. Turnover margin and ineffective offense alone cost us 3-4 games. They are related, a few more turnovers might have lead to shorter drives. I am worried about the losses on defense, but I expect the offense and turnover margin to be better. I don't know how good these recruits are, nobody does. Look, I'd love a shiny new coach who turns us into Alabama overnight, but it isn't happening. PP is coming back, so all we can hope is for the things I mentioned. GDL not calling plays, new guys not providing a huge drop-off on D, and the O starting to get the system.

You never know until you play the games. For example, I was at this game. http://www.huskermax.com/games/1991/09kansas.html Redshirt Freshman backup tailback goes for 294 yards after his team was down 17-0.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is such an overreaction. Turnover margin and ineffective offense alone cost us 3-4 games. They are related, a few more turnovers might have lead to shorter drives. I am worried about the losses on defense, but I expect the offense and turnover margin to be better. I don't know how good these recruits are, nobody does. Look, I'd love a shiny new coach who turns us into Alabama overnight, but it isn't happening. PP is coming back, so all we can hope is for the things I mentioned. GDL not calling plays, new guys not providing a huge drop-off on D, and the O starting to get the system.

You never know until you play the games. For example, I was at this game. http://www.huskermax.com/games/1991/09kansas.html Redshirt Freshman backup tailback goes for 294 yards after his team was down 17-0.

This is the same coaching staff that likes one running back playing while many others use two backs or more. One more reason why UConn missed a bowl game for the second year in a row.

Reaction Score
With Edsall, we had an identity & energy. Sure we had normal b*tching. But ... we always seemed to be marching forward with lots of energy.

We are dead with Pasqualoni. If you don't realize the sucking of energy OUT of the Program towards anything else, I can't help you. There is nothing good coming in 2013. What surprises me about this ... is Pasqualoni himself just doesn't walk. He has failed & the next step is not pretty. Warde Manual watched the games, took the time to go to practice, talked to players (as a former high-level football athlete) and came to ... a decision to retain? You seriously have to question his judgement; it's NOT an economic issue.

Reaction Score
I don't want PP back nor GDL. Agree on post re turnovers and just modestly better play (regardless of dumb play calling) wins 3-4 more games. What I like, and this is due to Kevin Ollie:

I like having head coaches who want to be here and sell the university to recruits and the public. Not saying that overcomes my get rid of PP or that he is a good salesman, just say'n what I am say'n. PP is a north east guy and can actually promote Uconn 'cause he means it, effective, we'll see re recruiting.

If PP has/had lost the team this year (and I don't think he did) it is Krispy Kreme's responsility to know that and take action (the fact that PP did not lose the team had to be part of the WM-Herbst discussion on keeping PP or Uconn is really in trouble). If this quickly becomes a failed program next year, PP is out and donut dust will be right behind him.

Reaction Score
Almost a guaranteed for Michigan now. Warde is keeping him so UM can win! And so that loads of UM fans will show up. :p Hope we beat Maryland though. Definitely would love to beat Michigan too.

Reaction Score
With Edsall, we had an identity & energy. Sure we had normal b*tching. But ... we always seemed to be marching forward with lots of energy.

We are dead with Pasqualoni. If you don't realize the sucking of energy OUT of the Program towards anything else, I can't help you. There is nothing good coming in 2013. What surprises me about this ... is Pasqualoni himself just doesn't walk. He has failed & the next step is not pretty. Warde Manual watched the games, took the time to go to practice, talked to players (as a former high-level football athlete) and came to ... a decision to retain? You seriously have to question his judgement; it's NOT an economic issue.

or maybe he just saw the same things that PP and staff saw from a non-fan perspective.

Reaction Score
or maybe he just saw the same things that PP and staff saw from a non-fan perspective.

Some things are easy.

Did we have a solid Offensive Line in 2009? Yes or No?

With (I would say better recruits) a linear progression ... do we have an Offensive Line that looks totally unraveled for our level &, thus, an Offense that is far less productive?

A fan ... or a guy who played Line at Michigan ... sees this. So ... when you mention "adjustments", they had better be meaningful. Otherwise, what you just signed up for is a far worse 2013 & most every fan knows it. I see no Blue Skies. Show Me!

Reaction Score

With Pasqualoni, we have no pulse. And I just deleted two paragraphs I wrote on Edsall, don't want to go there.

Reaction Score
Some things are easy.

Did we have a solid Offensive Line in 2009? Yes or No?

With (I would say better recruits) a linear progression ... do we have an Offensive Line that looks totally unraveled for our level &, thus, an Offense that is far less productive?

A fan ... or a guy who played Line at Michigan ... sees this. So ... when you mention "adjustments", they had better be meaningful. Otherwise, what you just signed up for is a far worse 2013 & most every fan knows it. I see no Blue Skies. Show Me!

What our line was doing already was fine.

UConn's missing element under Edsall was always inconsistent QB play post Dan Orlovsky. Pasqualoni could have done what he was hired to do; sustain the progress and move the ball forward, but he chose to change the system completely. And he took an offense that already had big play issues and made it worse.

If we had 2009/2010 line play, with a player like Chandler Whitmer, this offense is very respectable.

Reaction Score
I don't dispute that we had enough talent here to go go a bowl game. There was however, a lack of explosive talent on offense. We got one play this past year where a player got the ball, made a defender miss, and took it to the house for a long touchdown. It came from a tight end in the last game of the year. Now you can argue, that tight end should have been used a hell of a lot more but that is a different story.

I can't stand Deleone, but if P makes a change at OC, I expect to see improvement from the O. I'm most concerned about our corner backs. Those two guys gave Don Brown a lot of flexibility in what he could do on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom