My Father Passing | The Boneyard

My Father Passing

Reaction Score
I know I’ve never met any of you in person, but I know we have the same UConn connection which makes this extremely difficult.

My father just passed away less than 24 hours ago. Long story short: diagnosed with AML in 5/18, two transplants (first didn’t take), went into sepsis shock, survived and had the second transplant. Was doing SO WELL, got Pneumonia and admitted to Smilow in NH on 4/24. Turned into grade 4 GVHD, and beat that...however bc of the meds the damage was done, had to have major surgery and survived enough to get out of ICU but things turned dire yesterday (my 3rd anniversary). He truly fought through Luekemia, sepsis shock, chemo, 2 transplants, pneumonia, GVHD, etc. It’s been 15 months of hell but the one thing that never waivered was our love of each other, family and UConn basketball (men and women). He’s been to multiple FF, etc. He was so excited to see them back in the NBE.

Unfortunately he passes this morning and would probably be pissed about me putting this online, but as weird as it sounds, we are all a small family even if I’ve never met any of you. Please just say a prayer for him, and for us.

My father is a UConn grad, as is my uncle, myself and my brother. UConn is in our blood, forever. Sorry if this is all over the place, I’m a mess right now.

C

Chief00

I know I’ve never met any of you in person, but I know we have the same UConn connection which makes this extremely difficult.

My father just passed away less than 24 hours ago. Long story short: diagnosed with AML in 5/18, two transplants (first didn’t take), went into sepsis shock, survived and had the second transplant. Was doing SO WELL, got Pneumonia and admitted to Smilow in NH on 4/24. Turned into grade 4 GVHD, and beat that...however bc of the meds the damage was done, had to have major surgery and survived enough to get out of ICU but things turned dire yesterday (my 3rd anniversary). He truly fought through Luekemia, sepsis shock, chemo, 2 transplants, pneumonia, GVHD, etc. It’s been 15 months of hell but the one thing that never waivered was our love of each other, family and UConn basketball (men and women). He’s been to multiple FF, etc. He was so excited to see them back in the NBE.

Unfortunately he passes this morning and would probably be pissed about me putting this online, but as weird as it sounds, we are all a small family even if I’ve never met any of you. Please just say a prayer for him, and for us.

My father is a UConn grad, as is my uncle, myself and my brother. UConn is in our blood, forever. Sorry if this is all over the place, I’m a mess right now.

Prayers and sympathy from The Chief. The death of a parent is tough. I am very sorry to hear about your dad. I have a relative with AML and it’s truly an awful ordeal with numerous side effects.

Reaction Score
The joy and memories that you had sharing sports with your dad, you carry with you as a gift.

And when you share that love of a sport and make memories with your own kid, that gift carries forward. At some date, you may see your son explaining a play to his son and look over to you with a wink and say, "What do you think, dad?".

I am sorry for your loss....and happy for the memories that you carry.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry for your loss. Never be afraid to express your pain. Your father would never be pissed for you finding relief (even though he'd probably pretend to be pissed because that's what dads do).

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Blessings for you as you deal with this great loss. I pray you find comfort and peace.

Reaction Score
That is a tough battle but I hope the end was at least somewhat peaceful. But, for you, the loss is brutal. I understand. Many of us do. I hope you find peace soon. He would want that for you.

Reaction Score
UconnMike04, so sorry to hear of your dads passing. My post may be a little long but, I would like to share a little of my own family history with you.

I lost my mom in 2015 (she had dementia) that was so hard to accept and to go through. I still think of her and all the great memories we shared over the course of my lifetime. Just over 5 years ago, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer. He smoked cigars for over 50 years; he thinks that’s what caused the cancer. He never told me about the cancer at the time as he lives in another state and I didn’t see him all the time. During this time though, we would talk often on the phone and I noticed that his voice was raspy, I didn’t know why. I just thought since he was getting older his voice may be changing into that old man voice so I didn’t really pay it no mind. He broke the news to me after he went through the Chemo and Radiation treatments. I was somewhat upset with him that he didn’t tell me. He said that he didn’t tell me because he didn’t want me to worry about it. That’s my dad.

A little background history between my dad and me; my dad and I were never really close growing up, to be honest; he was pretty hard on me. He was in the Marine Corp in the 50’s and forged a career as a police officer beginning in the late 50’s and retiring in the early 80’s. Growing up though, he had his own thing going on. We didn’t go hunting, fishing or even do things together; it wasn’t really a big deal to me either since I had my own thing going on as well. Before I left home in the late 70’s, we had a falling out. My dad wanted me to go into the military and I didn’t want to, so, I left home and was on my own. Sadly, we didn’t talk for years afterwards. In the early 80’s, I came to a point in my life where I needed to do something different and the military was the gate I needed to go through to make it happen. I called my dad and told him that I had signed up to go into the Coast Guard. This made his day! He was really happy for me and thought that I had made a great decision, which, I believe I did. The communication door between my dad and I was again opened. Through the years, we’ve kept in touch on a regular basis.

Over the past 10 years, our relationship has grown stronger. I call him at least once every week or two and we talk until either my phone dies or his does! I surprised him for his 80th birthday and showed up, unexpectedly, to spend a week with him. We had a great time! Both of us were born in Connecticut and we both love everything Uconn, especially basketball. This is always one of the main points of the conversations we share. He had played sports all his life, and so did I so that and Uconn basketball is a bond between us that had grown stronger over the years.

The good news; my dad will be turning 84 this year and he has been cancer free for over 5 years! Unfortunately, he is legally blind, but can still see. This makes our conversations regarding Uconn more special since I get to give him a somewhat play by play of each game I get to see, strengthening our bond as UConn basketball fans.

I know you will cherish the memories you have of your dad; think of them often and keep them alive in your memory. I tuck away all those conversations I have with my dad because I know one day, I will need to open them up and go through them one more time to remember the good times we shared together; not just as father and son, but as fans of Uconn basketball.

Reaction Score
Sorry for your loss. Prayers are with u. It might be just a small piece but at least he got to see some positive husky vibes the past month. (Uconn in big east, kemba to Celtics, new recruits looking good in summer practice etc....) be well

Reaction Score
Very sorry for your loss. Truly no words to take the pain away from losing a parent.
The memories of the time you shared will be better than any picture album anyone can catalogue.
From what you have written it sounds as if your dad was a real fighter. That’s a great quality in a person. It also seems as if he was a great dad.
You are very lucky and fortunate. I have because of my job, met many people from diverse backgrounds. There are so many young men and adults out there that never knew their dads or hardly knew them.
Your dad seems to have been a very special guy.
I will be thinking of you and he today.

Reaction Score
So sorry for your loss, UConnMike04. The way your father battled until the end is something any UConn fan can appreciate. My condolences to you and your family.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mike so sorry for your loss. My dad, who passed a few years ago,was a big UConn fan as well. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Of course you're a mess right now. Why wouldn't you be? As to being all over the place, your writing touched on many facets of the same gem, and clearly rekindled in others the same thing it did in me the eternal bond with my father who also gifted me my Husky love.
Joining so many who will read and write and wish you strength and comfort in the days ahead.

Reaction Score

Mike. So sorry to read this. I lost my dad in 1993. Still hurts. I know I led a chaotic life, but ultimately made him proud to be my dad. I feel certain your dad was proud of you. God Bless.
jim

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Condolences to you and your family, Mike. That was a terrible ordeal your dad went through. He's in a better place now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Condolences to you and your family
It's NEVER easy
Keep the faith

Reaction Score
Sorry about your loss. Glad you got to share lots of good UConn memories with him. Those last forever.

Reaction Score

I’m so sorry for your loss. Others have posted the traditional condolences and I second them.

I leave you with this:

Every day is a great day to be a Connecticut Husky - even the sad days- and that’s what makes it so great.

RIP

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sending my deepest condolences to you and your family. I lost my dad in 2009 and although I miss him every day, the pain has subsided and he lives within me and my children through his lessons, our experiences, our memories, and our actions. He will always be with you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom