Must Watch: Bleacher Report video on 2011 Tourney run | The Boneyard

Must Watch: Bleacher Report video on 2011 Tourney run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kemba Walker and the 2010-11 UConn national championship team will go down as having one of the most improbable title runs in NCAA history. After finishing ninth in the Big East conference, the Huskies went on to win 11 straight postseason games and claim the title.

Walker was the heart and soul of that team, leading them both on and off the court.

Watch as Walker, Jim Calhoun, John Calipari, Brad Stevens, Jeremy Lamb, Jay Bilas and Seth Davis relive one the most exhilarating runs in tournament history.

Enjoy.

EDIT: @UConnSwag11 found youtube link and I'm putting it in here

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Was it really that improbable though? We were the 3rd most popular pick in brackets world wide to win it all that year, and we were a 3 seed. I feel like as every year passes people remember our seed that season as being one less than the year before.

Reaction Score
Was it really that improbable though? We were the 3rd most popular pick in brackets world wide to win it all that year, and we were a 3 seed. I feel like as every year passes people remember our seed that season as being one less than the year before.
That was half-way in to the run when everyone jumped on the bandwagon. 5 games in 5 days in the Big East tournament was arguably tougher than 6 across 3 weeks in the NCAA tournament. The fact that both happened makes it the most improbable run of all time.

Reaction Score

Prior to the BET, it was pretty darn improbable. After 5 in 5, the odds did go way up.

Reaction Score
It was only "one of the most improbable" when looked a from pre-season expectations. Once the brackets were drawn, you're right: a popular pick, and 3 seeds aren't really that unlikely to win.

Reaction Score
I'm glad someone did a special on that tournament run, even if it was only 10 minutes. You just know ESPN is already starting the 30 for 30 on Syracuse's improbable run to a double digit loss to UNC in the 2016 final four.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There was talk of us being on the bubble as ludicrous as that sounds. We ended the season poorly with inconsistent play in the big east. I didn't even think it could happen until we beat Pitt. That imo was the turning point

Reaction Score

It was only "one of the most improbable" when looked a from pre-season expectations. Once the brackets were drawn, you're right: a popular pick, and 3 seeds aren't really that unlikely to win.

Yeah, there are a lot of misconceptions on both sides.

Going into the season, nobody expected anything out of a group that lost 3 of its top 4 players from a dysfunctional team and added a recruiting class that on paper was more quantity than quality. We didn't receive a single vote in the preseason Coaches' Poll, and we were 37th in the first AP poll of the year.

For the first half of the year we looked really good, building a reputation with a slew of Top 25 wins (though, it should be pointed out, most of those teams turned out to be overrated at the time and fell out of the rankings, Michigan State at #2 in Maui and Villanova at #7 during the BE season the most egregious examples).

Then in February we were pretty mediocre, and we stumbled into the BET having lost 7 of 11.

On the eve of the BET, we were projected as a #6-7 seed. Even a first round loss to Depaul would have dropped us only to an 8 seed or so. We were never, ever on the bubble. This is the most common misconception.

After we ran through the BET, we thought maybe a 2 seed was possible, but ended up with a 3. Still, we were clearly a Top 10 team and not a huge underdog.

The championship was shocking relative to preseason expectations, surprising relative to how we were playing going into the BET, but not so improbable after the BET.

Reaction Score

I hear you but San diego state, and UK? Outside of the brackets none of tv were confident in us. That San diego game with how Leonard was bill, it felt like david vs. Goliath. Great feeling to win.

Reaction Score
nice! considering i've already watched that hour-long "run for the ages" clip at least a half dozen times, it's nice to have some new perspectives.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Shabazz's clutch rebound to seal the win against UK... man, I love Kemba, Ray, Caron, Rip, Emeka & Nadav, but I don't think I'll ever love a Husky more than I love Shabazz.
And maybe the two most clutch free throws in program history

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think that goes to Khalid El-Amin to put UConn up by 3, 77-74 vs Duke.

Shabazz's FTs probably on par with Rashad Anderson's vs Duke in 2004 FF final seconds
Shabazz missed against Cuse in the big east semis, then came back and made them against Louisville in the championship and then Kentucky in the final four. Onions

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You've got to get some lucky bounces to win a title, and Leonard's foul trouble and Horne's miss were two good things that happened for us.

That Arizona team was a darn good 5-seed. They had dismantled Duke, and Williams was playing out of his mind.

RIP Big East. It's a tragedy that we'll never create any new memories in MSG. Not like that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think that goes to Khalid El-Amin to put UConn up by 3, 77-74 vs Duke.

Shabazz's FTs probably on par with Rashad Anderson's vs Duke in 2004 FF final seconds

And Emeka's 1 free throw vs Duke. "Just one."

Reaction Score
RIP Big East. It's a tragedy that we'll never create any new memories in MSG. Not like that.

Moreover, we'll never again play in a conference that gets 11 teams in the Tournament*, like the Big East did that year.

*at least not until we're in a 20-team B1G with Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kemba Walker and the 2010-11 UConn national championship team will go down as having one of the most improbable title runs in NCAA history. After finishing ninth in the Big East conference, the Huskies went on to win 11 straight postseason games and claim the title.

Walker was the heart and soul of that team, leading them both on and off the court.

Watch as Walker, Jim Calhoun, John Calipari, Brad Stevens, Jeremy Lamb, Jay Bilas and Seth Davis relive one the most exhilarating runs in tournament history.

Enjoy.

EDIT: @UConnSwag11 found youtube link and I'm putting it in here

Still----get----chills.

Reaction Score
Weird feeling but I'm probably ten years away from needing to see that video. Why? Because I know it very well almost to each shot, including the BE. I can recreate each game in my mind still.

The biggest benefit from that 2011 team is that they instilled a belief in Bazz, Giff and Tyler that they could win another regardless of the regular season and all its issues. That 2014 season to me is equally outstanding and unforeseen as the 2011 both having the All Star to take us there. But that BE strectch in 2011 was the difference maker making it the best post season ever at UConn.

Thanks Kemba (and lets not forget Donnell).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom