Multiple NPOYs? | The Boneyard

Multiple NPOYs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Griner is the obvious candidate for the way she dominates both ends of the floor for the #1 team.

DelleDonne has taken her team to the top 20 and leads the nation in scoring.

And Nneka Ogwumike is in the process of dropping 40 or so on Tennessee.

None of the 3 is a bad choice. There may not be a consensus this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Griner will take the AP. Possible that Nneka wins the Wade.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
If the voting was tonight, it would be Nneka hands down! She was an absolute delight to watch!!!!

Impressive!!!!

Reaction Score
It's a shame that Delle Donne doesn't have the supporting cast the other teams do.

Assuming a BU/Stan/ND/UConn FF, Nneka will get her shot at BU/Griner in the first round of the FF.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's a shame that Delle Donne doesn't have the supporting cast the other teams do.

Assuming a BU/Stan/ND/UConn FF, Nneka will get her shot at BU/Griner in the first round of the FF.
In all fairness, and not to beat a dead horse, EDD could have every bit the supporting cast and then some that Griner and Nneka do had she chosen to.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
at this point, i don't think anyone has as complete a game as Nneka does. EDD is the shooter from the outside, and Griner is the force on the inside. but Nneka has a fairly deep midrange game, and everything in between. i think it will be a close choice between Nneka and Brit Griner. maybe they will feel it's Nneka's year as she's a senior and Brit will win it next year. either way they both are a force to be reckoned with...

Reaction Score
at this point, i don't think anyone has as complete a game as Nneka does. EDD is the shooter from the outside, and Griner is the force on the inside. but Nneka has a fairly deep midrange game, and everything in between. i think it will be a close choice between Nneka and Brit Griner. maybe they will feel it's Nneka's year as she's a senior and Brit will win it next year. either way they both are a force to be reckoned with...
Eric, I disagree. Griner is the most dominant player in college this year. She's in the national spotlight every game and she produces every game. She will make the Olympic team. In a nationwide voting for poy, I would expect her to be the overwhelming favorite with the possible exception of the west coast. Nneka is obviously an outstanding player who will go #1 in the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
Griner is clearly the hardest player in the country to play against but this performance of Nneka was out of this world and if she continues to play like this in other high profile games than she's got a chance to be the NPOY. What will hurt her is that the schedule of Stanford and the PAC 12 is not that strong while Baylor will be involved in higher profile games and as a result Griner will have an advantage in the minds of voters.

Reaction Score
In all fairness, and not to beat a dead horse, EDD could have every bit the supporting cast and then some that Griner and Nneka do had she chosen to.
Very true; when you are young you don't always realize the implications of your decisions.

Reaction Score
I've watched bball for many, many years and have rarely seen a performance like Nneka displayed tonight. Omg. What a joy to watch. Just in awe. She was PUMPED up and willed her team to win. I think the Stanford ftball team in attendance, many who are friends with Nneka, really fired her up, as well as keeping our home winning streak going at 68. WOW. Hecka Nneka. POY for her versatility!

Reaction Score
I've watched bball for many, many years and have rarely seen a performance like Nneka displayed tonight. Omg. What a joy to watch. Just in awe. She was PUMPED up and willed her team to win. I think the Stanford ftball team in attendance, many who are friends with Nneka, really fired her up, as well as keeping our home winning streak going at 68. WOW. Hecka Nneka. POY for her versatility!
Congratulations on the great win!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
One interesting stat for EDD this season is the relative absence of trey shooting.
Over 9 games she is 14 for 25.....56%. Just looking at the stats she is shooting from down low more than in the past
and obviously hitting at a high rate....mid-50's overall.

They potentially meet Maryland in the finals of a holiday tourney at Maryland on Dec. 29. Maryland is undefeated and ranked around #6. Should UDel pull that upset they will be looking a very high NCAA seed...granted all the conference play is ahead of them. A competitive loss won't hurt their current ranking of around #19.

UDel would bring some much needed sizzle to The Dance.

Reaction Score
That's true but she chose family (and a unique situation) over team. I've got two reasons to respect her now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Where do you think she ranks among the Cardinal great? She must be near the top, with Appel, Wiggins, Starbird, Azzi, et al. Will she break Stanford or Pac-10/12 season or career records?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There are several NPOY awards, including AP, Wade, Naismith, and Wooden. In addition, I think ESPN and Honda make selections. I really think there will be 2 or 3 winners this year.

Some stats:

Nneka: 26.0 ppg, 11.9 rpg, .639 shooting

Britney: 23.0 ppg, 10.5 rpg, .642 shooting, and 58 blocks

Elena: 29.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, .570 shooting (.560 on threes and .924 on FTs) and 24 blocks

In terms of competition played, Griner has an edge on Nneka, with Elena a distant third.

In terms of carrying her team, Elena is first, but Nneka is fairly close. Griner has Sims. Can UDel be undefeated going into the NCAAs? How about Baylor?

Nneka is the only true senior, and that may help her in the voting.

Griner's punch from 2 years ago may be a factor against her.

Griner will break (or has done so already) the NCAA career record for blocks. Nneka could surpass Pac-10/12 career or season records. Elena could challenge the NCAA career scoring recored for points or average.

I think all 3 will be unanimous AAs or nearly so.

My early picks for AP All-Americans (in order for the 5-player team):

Griner
Ogwumike
DelleDonne
Sims
Diggins (I think voters will switch Diggins and Sims)

Johnson
Thomas
Stricklen
Hartley
???

Reaction Score
Where do you think she ranks among the Cardinal great? She must be near the top, with Appel, Wiggins, Starbird, Azzi, et al. Will she break Stanford or Pac-10/12 season or career records?

Definitely up there with all of them, including Folkl, who was an amazing leaper and shot a sick FG% too. She will break many records, but I'll have to research which ones.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Is there anywhere to catch a replay of the game online????? I want to see Nneka thumping the LVs

Reaction Score
Eric, I disagree. Griner is the most dominant player in college this year. She's in the national spotlight every game and she produces every game. She will make the Olympic team. In a nationwide voting for poy, I would expect her to be the overwhelming favorite with the possible exception of the west coast. Nneka is obviously an outstanding player who will go #1 in the WNBA draft.

I think you both may be right. This is one of those unusual situations where the most complete player -- who may well be Nneka -- is not the most dominant player -- who has to be Griner. Those two adjectives describe slightly different things and most years, the same player walks away with both, but this year may be an exception.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My personal suggestion is that BG graduate and leave early like Parker.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My personal suggestion is that BG graduate and leave early like Parker.
Elena can--her class of 2012 will graduate. Britney can't unless she completes 4 years of academic requirements in 3 years.

Given her dominance, some folks might like to see BG leave early, but I'm looking forward to Bree and Britney next year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Elena can--her class of 2012 will graduate. Britney can't unless she completes 4 years of academic requirements in 3 years.

Given her dominance, some folks might like to see BG leave early, but I'm looking forward to Bree and Britney next year.
That's why I said graduate. Emeka did it. Kemba did it. I'm suggesting BG give it the old college try.

Reaction Score
Pumped was an understatement. It was other worldly. She, smiling & laughing, was joyous the entire evening. Not in a obnoxious way, but in a way that made the viewer happy for her success.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Very true; when you are young you don't always realize the implications of your decisions.

But sometimes you do, even when others wished for a different choice.

Reaction Score
Pumped was an understatement. It was other worldly. She, smiling & laughing, was joyous the entire evening. Not in a obnoxious way, but in a way that made the viewer happy for her success.

I agree! Here's the link to post game pressers where she talked about connecting with the crowd. Just love her.

http://www.stanfordfbc.org/

Reaction Score
Griner is the most dominant player in college this year.

Definitely.

Unless Baylor starts losing a bunch of games, it will be a crime if she doesn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom