Mulkey | The Boneyard

Mulkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perhaps I missed it, but I'm surprised no one has rendered kudos to Kim Mulkey's coaching last night. She was strategic in decision making and the only outbursts I saw were of enthusiasm when Baylor got close. Seems she had great respect for the significance of the event. Agree or disagree?!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I was surprised by some of the players on the Baylor team. After the graduation of Griner and 4 other seniors, I really thought the cupboards were somewhat bare. I was surprised to see that she has plenty of young talent that bodes well for her post Odyssey Sims. However, I did not see anything different about Mulkey this year from previous ones except that motherly pride she must have been feeling but disguised it well, for her daughter McKenzie who played a great game and was knocking down the three. I am not impressed with a coach who allows their star player to hog the ball to the point of shooting 25 of the 50 shots available and only makes 4 of them without reigning her in.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Like an eel out of water. That's how she flopped around.
Brings new meaning to the phrase " You could have knocked her over with a feather."

That being said, I have to congratulate the young girl for playing well, for choosing to play for her mother, even though it meant sitting on the bench for three years. She is a decent player who worked hard last night. Please give her some credit.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the game, primarily to look at the foul calls, and I actually started to count the number of times that kid hit the floor, and then stopped when the number was so high it was embarrassing. Sometimes, it was only the wind of someone passing by her that "knocked" her to the ground. Sometimes it was the contact of her own team mates that "flattened" her.

I really think less of players when they resort to these types of tactics. One could argue that "it gets the job done and the fouls called". Yea - it can. But I prefer the theatre for dramatics; I would rather watch real players on a gymnasium floor.

She has skills, and a great 3 point shot. She doesn't need to do this.

Reaction Score
Don't know how many times Baylor has been on national tv but I'll bet that officials that tuned in to watch 2 good teams go at it might have baylor flopping in mind as they do their future games. The coaches kid in particular is a a total flopper. The one I can't remember if it was stef or klm that her arm was brushed and she went down like someone shot her was particularly embarrassing. As for Mulkey, as usual her machinations and hysterics on the court was worth the price of admission. But I give her credit for having her team ready last night to play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, if any of you have watched any Baylor games you would know that it is not flopping. She falls ALL THE TIME, and not to draw fouls. Like I said, she falls more than any other player I have ever seen and I don't know how an athlete that was all-state in three sports in high school could seem so uncoordinated. Watch the next Baylor game and you will see that it is not a "flopping" act.

As far a Mulkey, I smell Coach of the Year honors. She took a team that lost 5 of its top 6 players and is now in FF discussion.

Reaction Score
Like I said, she falls more than any other player I have ever seen.
Brings to mind our own Tiff Hayes. She spent mucho time on the floor. Not implying she was flopping........she just fell down a lot. It was discussed often here when she was playing.

Reaction Score
I am sure Mulkey had been watching tapes of ND-UConn games over and over again to see what ND did to beat UConn multiple times. Now the blueprint is out.

The way to beat UConn is to flop and flop with acting 101 and hope that the refs are blind enough to call. This gets UConn players in foul trouble and force them to play with a handicap. On defense, pack it in and force 3's from players other than KLM.

You can't have fast breaks from foul shots and this disrupt the flow of UConn's offense. This keeps the game close and hopefully, a lucky break here and there or a couple of UConn mistakes at the end of the game can bring a victory.

I am not sure how to get around this except having TBS and KLM hit 3's all day they did in the semi last year.

KLM and TBS could not do that this time and the game stayed interesting until the end.

Reaction Score
Well, if any of you have watched any Baylor games you would know that it is not flopping. She falls ALL THE TIME, and not to draw fouls. Like I said, she falls more than any other player I have ever seen and I don't know how an athlete that was all-state in three sports in high school could seem so uncoordinated. Watch the next Baylor game and you will see that it is not a "flopping" act.

As far a Mulkey, I smell Coach of the Year honors. She took a team that lost 5 of its top 6 players and is now in FF discussion.
Just think if she gets the high school kid that's also named Mulkey!

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Or course she coached well against UConn. She was channeling Muffet through that outfit she stole from the Notre Dame mascot.

I hate that damn leprechaun!

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Hayes fell or managed to get knocked down a great deal (still does).
Makenzie flops
Big difference.

I think the official scorer kept two sets of stats for Hayes, minutes played on the floor and minutes played laying on the floor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyway you look at it, Mulkey is an all-time great in women's BB.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I missed it, but I'm surprised no one has rendered kudos to Kim Mulkey's coaching last night. She was strategic in decision making and the only outbursts I saw were of enthusiasm when Baylor got close. Seems she had great respect for the significance of the event. Agree or disagree?!
Hats off to Mulkey and her team for a great job. Most of us expected a 29+ POINTS WIN.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I was surprised by some of the players on the Baylor team. After the graduation of Griner and 4 other seniors, I really thought the cupboards were somewhat bare. I was surprised to see that she has plenty of young talent that bodes well for her post Odyssey Sims. However, I did not see anything different about Mulkey this year from previous ones except that motherly pride she must have been feeling but disguised it well, for her daughter McKenzie who played a great game and was knocking down the three. I am not impressed with a coach who allows their star player to hog the ball to the point of shooting 25 of the 50 shots available and only makes 4 of them without reigning her in.
We are lucky Odyssey did hog the ball in the first half and threw up so many ridiculous shots in the first half---the outcome may have been different!

Reaction Score

You are selling, but, I don't think anyone is buying. And that "smell", not coming from coach of the year honors..

Reaction Score
OK..the flopping was pretty outragious...but the scream and fist pump of pure joy as her team got close was a pretty neat thing to see a coach do.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Maybe they flop all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr