Mulkey named AP COY | The Boneyard

Mulkey named AP COY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When you have the #1 player in the country you should win 38 games. Sorry Kim, I personally don't think you did anything special, just what was expected. I think there are lots of other coaches who deserve this award rather than Kim Mulkey. Just One man's HO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As Kim has said, she can never watch film to really see how a team will play Baylor because every team goes outside their normal offense and defense when they play the Lady Bears. IMO, of course, well deserved. Sometimes the pressure of meeting expectations is easier than exceeding expectations.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
38-0 is impressive, no matter who you have on the team. No one's gone undefeated without really good players. In fact, every previous undefeated team has had an NPOY. Still impressive.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As Kim has said, she can never watch film to really see how a team will play Baylor because every team goes outside their normal offense and defense when they play the Lady Bears. IMO, of course, well deserved. Sometimes the pressure of meeting expectations is easier than exceeding expectations.

Oops...I mean "harder than exceeding expectations."

No wonder I confuse people.

Reaction Score
It's not like KM was dealt this hand at random either. She gets credit for recruiting Griner and Sims, as well as developing them, and keeping them focused and integrated with the rest of the squad.
That said, I do think Geno did the best job this year!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
38-0 is impressive, no matter who you have on the team. No one's gone undefeated without really good players. In fact, every previous undefeated team has had an NPOY. Still impressive.
Not so much in CT we've come to expect those seasons, even back to back ones. ;-)

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score
When you have the #1 player in the country you should win 38 games. Sorry Kim, I personally don't think you did anything special, just what was expected. I think there are lots of other coaches who deserve this award rather than Kim Mulkey. Just One man's HO.

I have to agree with you. May undefeated teams in the past, or even minimal loss teams of COY became great teams because all aspects of that team where coached. In this case, Kim has a unique player with attributes that were never and can never be coached. She did a great job of making sure the team worked well together, but she did not coach the height that forces many teams to triple team Griner, in return allowing the rest of the team to play better than they normally could. I am not sure how you get COY when, ten other coaches could take your same team, and accomplish the same results, using basic strategy of throw it into the center and let the tallest girl in WCBB toss it in unblocked. Because of this unique genetic quality everybody said you should go undefeated, and you did. That is not coaching genius, that is good recruiting at best, um, that happened 3 years ago. Sorry, this year there were several coaches (UConn, Kentucky, Miami, St. Johns, Delaware, Green Bay, St. Bonaventure, etc) that accomplish far more than expected with far less talent demonstrating true COACHING genius. If recruiting was the key factor, than CD should be getting the award next year right?

Reaction Score
I have to agree with you. May undefeated teams in the past, or even minimal loss teams of COY became great teams because all aspects of that team where coached. In this case, Kim has a unique player with attributes that were never and can never be coached. She did a great job of making sure the team worked well together, but she did not coach the height that forces many teams to triple team Griner, in return allowing the rest of the team to play better than they normally could. I am not sure how you get COY when, ten other coaches could take your same team, and accomplish the same results, using basic strategy of throw it into the center and let the tallest girl in WCBB toss it in unblocked. Because of this unique genetic quality everybody said you should go undefeated, and you did. That is not coaching genius, that is good recruiting at best, um, that happened 3 years ago. Sorry, this year there were several coaches (UConn, Kentucky, Miami, St. Johns, Delaware, Green Bay, St. Bonaventure, etc) that accomplish far more than expected with far less talent demonstrating true COACHING genius. If recruiting was the key factor, than CD should be getting the award next year right?
Based on this logic, one should question whether Geno should have won the award in 2008 since he had two AA's on that team plus three other future WNBA players. Arguably, there were several other coaches that year who could have coached that team to a National Championship. Griner has developed under Kim's coaching and Kim has coached her team to be disciplined, focused and to play together as a team. They have done everything asked of them so far. I think she deserves the award.

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score
Completely agree with you, Geno coached their talent to become great....

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Does that mean Geno shouldn't have been COY the year he had Bird, Jones, Williams, Cash and Taurasi?

Reaction Score
To the victor, go the spoils. I think she deserves it as much if not more than anyone else. Having the best player(s) doesn't insure success. (10ac might be an example. They had a passel of AAs). It appears that BG will return next year. That's to Mulkey's credit. However, a loss tonight or in the championship game would be an embarassment.

Perhaps there should be COY categories to recognize those who did other sterling things. Best record, did most with least, most success with strongest schedule, best recruiter, etc.

Reaction Score
If Baylor had 1 or 2 losses, I might agree with Alexmia, but being undefeated against a tough schedule is a real accomplishment.

To the victor, go the spoils. I think she deserves it as much if not more than anyone else. Having the best player(s) doesn't insure success. (10ac might be an example. They had a passel of AAs). It appears that BG will return next year. That's to Mulkey's credit. However, a loss tonight or in the championship game would be an embarassment.

Perhaps there should be COY categories to recognize those who did other sterling things. Best record, did most with least, most success with strongest schedule, best recruiter, etc.

For many if not most observers Baylor winning the championship this year was a foregone conclusion since November, with Griner, all the other returning players from last years team.
This award will be not just be an embarassment to Baylor but to all that voted for her if they loss again this year. For that team to lose, with those players 2 years in a row would be perhaps the biggest failure to reach potential in WCBB history, imho!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
1. Griner has improved significantly since coming to Baylor. Mulkey gets credit for that.

2. Sims appears to be a little bit of a head case. She is critical to baylor's success. Thus, Mulkey gets credit for dealing with her, and helping develop her into a big game player (which, after her performance in the Elite Eight last year, might not have happened).

3. This Baylor team is nowhere near as complete a squad as some of Geno's best teams. Their margin for error has been much lower.

4. The COY is awarded before the F4 is played. That is not Mulkey's fault.

5. As has been stated previously, when something that's really freaking difficult to do is expected of you, doing it is pretty dang impressive.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Does that mean Geno shouldn't have been COY the year he had Bird, Jones, Williams, Cash and Taurasi?
No it means he should have been give the award four years earlier when they signed LOI. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom